2024 - Godzilla's 70th, what do you expect/hope for?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: 2024 - Godzilla's 70th, what do you expect/hope for?

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:14 pm ^How would Godzilla crossing over with Ultraman nowadays be any different than consecutively crossing over with Kong, Mothra and Rodan in the Showa era?
Because team ups or versus are looked at differently. Kong, Rodan and Mothra would be like Spider-Man meets Blade or Wolverine or Spider-Man vs Hulk. It's a crossover but it's in house.

Godzilla vs Ultraman is like Spider-Man vs Batman.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:14 pm ^How would Godzilla crossing over with Ultraman nowadays be any different than consecutively crossing over with Kong, Mothra and Rodan in the Showa era?
Kong is part of the reason why I'm really just done with crossovers now. As for the others, at this point Mothra and Rodan are no longer their own franchise like Ultraman is, they're considered part of Godzilla's franchise. Sure they had their introductory solo movies, but that was long ago. Ultraman is his own franchise, and he's finally starting to have a chance to rise as a bigger deal for western audiences. No need to make him just another Godzilla monster like Mothra and Rodan to that audience. Keep them separate. I'm just sick and tired of modern nerd culture's obsession with the almighty crossover. Seriously, it's all anyone asks for all the time anymore.

Added in 1 minute 54 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:29 am
Because team ups or versus are looked at differently. Kong, Rodan and Mothra would be like Spider-Man meets Blade or Wolverine or Spider-Man vs Hulk. It's a crossover but it's in house.

Godzilla vs Ultraman is like Spider-Man vs Batman.
This too. There's a lot more complications behind the scenes when you get crossovers like that.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:29 am Keep them separate. I'm just sick and tired of modern nerd culture's obsession with the almighty crossover. Seriously, it's all anyone asks for all the time anymore.
The most relatable opinion I've ever seen on TK

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Honestly, I agree with this.

I don’t really want to see Gamera in a Godzilla film right now- I’d rather see him in his own movies.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Dyrakro wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:46 am
Vakanai wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:29 am Keep them separate. I'm just sick and tired of modern nerd culture's obsession with the almighty crossover. Seriously, it's all anyone asks for all the time anymore.
Yup, I'm over it too.

I'm the case of MV...everyone knows they're not getting solo Rodan, Mothra or Varan movies followed by a Destroy All Monsters remake right? Because if I see one more hypothetical image with "future" movie titles set up like the freaking MCU....

It's crazy how everyone just assumes the natural end to this franchise is a DAM remake. Again, the MCU has warped everyone.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:33 am It's crazy how everyone just assumes the natural end to this franchise is a DAM remake. Again, the MCU has warped everyone.
If memory serves, Gareth Edwards brought up the possibility of a DAM-style movie in an interview after G14. That's at least part of where the idea comes from.

And it's not illogical: sequels in this type of Big Dumb Action series are always trying to go bigger and louder than the previous entry. Apart from a (very unlikely and impractical) multiverse event, what could be bigger than DAM?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:33 am
Yup, I'm over it too.

I'm the case of MV...everyone knows they're not getting solo Rodan, Mothra or Varan movies followed by a Destroy All Monsters remake right? Because if I see one more hypothetical image with "future" movie titles set up like the freaking MCU....

It's crazy how everyone just assumes the natural end to this franchise is a DAM remake. Again, the MCU has warped everyone.
DAM was featured in a leak that featured a concept image of Godzilla and Ghidorah fighting from 2017 plus Gareth Edwards mentioned that's what he'd like to see get made so that's why DAM as an endgame has so much traction.

Added in 40 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:53 am
Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:33 am It's crazy how everyone just assumes the natural end to this franchise is a DAM remake. Again, the MCU has warped everyone.
If memory serves, Gareth Edwards brought up the possibility of a DAM-style movie in an interview after G14. That's at least part of where the idea comes from.

And it's not illogical: sequels in this type of Big Dumb Action series are always trying to go bigger and louder than the previous entry. Apart from a (very unlikely and impractical) multiverse event, what could be bigger than DAM?
Godzilla, Kong and Gamera standing side by side on film would be huge for the fandom.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Gamera is not going to be in the MonsterVerse. Come on, guys.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:20 pm

Yup, I'm over it too.

DAM was featured in a leak that featured a concept image of Godzilla and Ghidorah fighting from 2017 plus Gareth Edwards mentioned that's what he'd like to see get made so that's why DAM as an endgame has so much traction.

Added in 40 seconds:

Godzilla, Kong and Gamera standing side by side on film would be huge for the fandom.
He basically already made DAM with KotM tho, there's not much new to cover there.

And just because it would be huge for the fandom doesn't mean that it would be good. I'd rather Gamera earn his way to the top with movies I enjoy than some Godzilla vs Gamera film because the fandom thinks it's huge. I already got that monkey's paw once, I'm not enthused about going all in on that jazz again. Let Ultraman and Gamera do their own thing, be their own thing, separate from Godzilla. Meanwhile I'm just going to wait until King Kong falls into public domain before I allow myself to be interested in the possibility of a film with him in it again.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:36 pm Gamera is not going to be in the MonsterVerse. Come on, guys.
No one said he would, someone asked what would big a big moment and I said seeing Gamera, Kong and Godzilla together would be a huge moment for kaiju eiga in general.

Added in 1 minute 44 seconds:
Vakanai wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:56 pm

Yup, I'm over it too.

Added in 40 seconds:

He basically already made DAM with KotM tho, there's not much new to cover there.

And just because it would be huge for the fandom doesn't mean that it would be good. I'd rather Gamera earn his way to the top with movies I enjoy than some Godzilla vs Gamera film because the fandom thinks it's huge. I already got that monkey's paw once, I'm not enthused about going all in on that jazz again. Let Ultraman and Gamera do their own thing, be their own thing, separate from Godzilla. Meanwhile I'm just going to wait until King Kong falls into public domain before I allow myself to be interested in the possibility of a film with him in it again.
Gamera has already earned it. For the genre as a whole a huge moment we be seeing Gamera, Kong and Godzilla together.

Spider-Man, Batman and Superman could be in the worst comic book film ever but seeing them together would still be a moment.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

MonsterVerse or not...

I'm going on 34 years old. Been a Godzilla fan since I can remember, and a mainstay of the online community since 2002. With ALL of that said... This is the first time I have EVER heard a kaiju fan outright state they DON'T want Godzilla vs. Gamera in any capacity.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:53 pm MonsterVerse or not...

I'm going on 34 years old. Been a Godzilla fan since I can remember, and a mainstay of the online community since 2002. With ALL of that said... This is the first time I have EVER heard a kaiju fan outright state they DON'T want Godzilla vs. Gamera in any capacity.
I've heard several people say it. Unlike Kong and Godzilla, the two kaiju aren't really compatible. Godzilla could and would never lose against Gamera, and Gamera is always the hero, so there's your problem. I just don't see it working.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:21 pm

I've heard several people say it. Unlike Kong and Godzilla, the two kaiju aren't really compatible. Godzilla could and would never lose against Gamera, and Gamera is always the hero, so there's your problem. I just don't see it working.
Gamra is much more compatible with Godzilla than Kong is.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Yup, I'm over it too.

Added in 40 seconds:

Would you let the existence of Godzilla's Revenge ruin the entire Showa era for you?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The existence of Godzilla's Revenge only serves to enhance and elevate the Showa era.

When I talked about DAM being the biggest event left to do, I meant for audiences overall, not just the fandom. ALL THE MONSTERS smashing ALL THE CITIES is inherently going to be a big dramatic spectacle, and likely to appeal to more non-fans than Godzilla meeting/fighting some friendly flying turtle hardly anyone in the West is aware of.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:21 pm

It wouldn't be the first time Godzilla played the heel and won. Or lost due to humanity joining forces with an opponent.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'd be fine without Godzilla vs. Gamera TBH. Is it one of those longtime kaiju fan dream matches? I mean, yeah, but Gamera's much better off stepping back into the big screen in his own shoes rather than being forced into crossover territory. AFTER Gamera gets his own solo series going again I'll join the Godzilla/Gamera hype train again.

I'm not even talking about the MonsterVerse either, just a general sense of it happening.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:45 pm

Added in 40 seconds:

Would you let the existence of Godzilla's Revenge ruin the entire Showa era for you?
I find Godzilla's Revenge charming and not worthy of the hate heaped on it. And I'm not letting it ruin the entire Monsterverse for me - I still love 2014 and Kong Skull Island. I'm just not interested in giving any movie that tries and build on that awful shitstain of a movie a chance. I don't know what to tell you, there was literally nothing about it I liked, there's literally never been a movie I've had such a horrid awful time watching. I would have rather just been kicked in the balls quick like than having spent that time watching it. I regret watching it until the end, I really wish I hadn't. So, with all that being taken into account, why the hell would I want to continue on with it? And why the hell do you care? If I wanted to talk about it I'd still be posting in the Monsterverse section, but I'm not. I'm in the Reiwa section because I've moved on and want to focus on films (God willing there'll be more live action films at some point in this era) I am interested in seeing.

Added in 1 minute 54 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:18 am The existence of Godzilla's Revenge only serves to enhance and elevate the Showa era.

When I talked about DAM being the biggest event left to do, I meant for audiences overall, not just the fandom. ALL THE MONSTERS smashing ALL THE CITIES is inherently going to be a big dramatic spectacle, and likely to appeal to more non-fans than Godzilla meeting/fighting some friendly flying turtle hardly anyone in the West is aware of.
Except that's literally what we got in King of the Monsters. DAM doesn't really have anything left to cover or offer.
Last edited by Vakanai on Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

KOTM isn't really a DAM-level movie. There was implied monster action all over the world but it was barely showcased, focusing instead on Godzilla and Ghidorah's fights.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:43 pm KOTM isn't really a DAM-level movie. There was implied monster action all over the world but it was barely showcased, focusing instead on Godzilla and Ghidorah's fights.
But outside some of us nobody cares about the made up monsters destroying cities. We saw the actual Toho monsters, we saw destruction, we saw everything we'd get from a new DAM. What would a new one do differently? I really can't find anything that'd set it apart. We saw Mothra, Rodan, Godzilla, Ghidorah, and crazy destruction.