2024 - Godzilla's 70th, what do you expect/hope for?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: 2024 - Godzilla's 70th, what do you expect/hope for?

Post by Legion1979 »

If you're going to remake DAM you need Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra at the very least and you need to end it with a big bad everyone knows, and that's King Ghidorah. On top of that, KOTM features some worldwide destruction. It does very much resemble DAM in spots.

There's no reason to do this all again just to have another movie called "Destroy all Monsters". People gota let this idea go.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:09 pm But outside some of us nobody cares about the made up monsters destroying cities.
Kind of a weird point. People like good action. GVK had tons of action and it was widely enjoyed (yeah I know 'worst movie I ever saw!', don't worry you don't need to post it again). A DAM-level movie needs to hit that sweet spot and people will care.
Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:09 pm We saw the actual Toho monsters, we saw destruction, we saw everything we'd get from a new DAM. We saw Mothra, Rodan, Godzilla, Ghidorah, and crazy destruction.
We really, actually, honestly, did not. KOTM had implied destruction but very little actually took place, much less with multiple monsters at the same time. The destruction of Washington D.C. is embarrassingly glanced over and Boston's was little more than set dressing for Godzilla battling King Ghidorah. The only real on-screen city destruction was Rodan's awakening. The weird "tag team" angle of KOTM also meant we really didn't get a sort of "monster battle royal" on the same level as a DAM-type. Two on two isn't nearly as exciting as a free-for-all/all vs. one (if we really wanna go full DAM).
What would a new one do differently? I really can't find anything that'd set it apart.
Thatt's akin to saying Avengers Endgame's final battle wouldn't work because what more is there to do after the final battles of the last three movies. There really isn't as much of a ceiling. There's always more to do. More monsters, more destruction, more action, more fun. I understand these types of big nonsense action movies may not be for everyone but to say there's nothing more to do is just plain wrong IMO. We've barely scratched the surface of battle royals for the MonsterVerse.

Added in 9 minutes 43 seconds:
Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:55 pm If you're going to remake DAM you need Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra at the very least and you need to end it with a big bad everyone knows, and that's King Ghidorah.
No you don't. There doesn't have to be a big bad. You can just as easily have a large, chaotic monster battle combined with actual on-screen sequences of destruction. Not the most intelligent premise but people will eat that up.
Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:55 pm On top of that, KOTM features some worldwide destruction. It does very much resemble DAM in spots.
As I said above, it really doesn't. It's sequences are minimal at best or implied at worst. DAM's sequences are numerous and in-depth, not nearly on the same level as KOTM.
Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:55 pm There's no reason to do this all again just to have another movie called "Destroy all Monsters". People gota let this idea go.
I don't really care if it's called "Destroy All Monsters" or not, I just want a MonsterVerse project that actually has some decent city destruction sequences in it.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ All of this. And speaking of the MCU, it's proven pretty conclusively that audiences have no problem flocking to very similar films over and over again as long as they're executed appealingly. A hypothetical DAM wouldn't need to reinvent the wheel, just be exciting and marketed well.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:31 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:09 pm But outside some of us nobody cares about the made up monsters destroying cities.
Kind of a weird point. People like good action. GVK had tons of action and it was widely enjoyed (yeah I know 'worst movie I ever saw!', don't worry you don't need to post it again). A DAM-level movie needs to hit that sweet spot and people will care.
First off, don't do that. Don't bring up GvK when I didn't even mention it or was talking about it and then make a snide remark about me not liking it. Why? What's the point in that? Just to take an under the breath swipe at me? Just no reason for "yeah I know 'worst movie I ever saw!', don't worry you don't need to post it again". If you don't want me to say it, simply don't discuss it with me. This just feels like you want to be a bit asinine towards me.

Second, people like action. What's your point? That the only way to do action is to do another DAM despite KotM being DAM in all but name? They can't do another movie with action? I just don't see the point in basically doing a repeat of King of the Monsters so soon, and that's what Destroy All Monsters would be.

But I'm done really debating it, because this is the Reiwa section not the Monsterverse section, and it's not like I'm going to watch whatever GvK 2 winds up being anyways, DAM or not.
Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:09 pm We saw the actual Toho monsters, we saw destruction, we saw everything we'd get from a new DAM. We saw Mothra, Rodan, Godzilla, Ghidorah, and crazy destruction.
We really, actually, honestly, did not. KOTM had implied destruction but very little actually took place, much less with multiple monsters at the same time. The destruction of Washington D.C. is embarrassingly glanced over and Boston's was little more than set dressing for Godzilla battling King Ghidorah. The only real on-screen city destruction was Rodan's awakening. The weird "tag team" angle of KOTM also meant we really didn't get a sort of "monster battle royal" on the same level as a DAM-type. Two on two isn't nearly as exciting as a free-for-all/all vs. one (if we really wanna go full DAM).
Seems like splitting hairs on the city destruction really. And I don't really care about a battle royale between the Toho core and whatever Legendary's special effects team cooks up, but you do you I guess?
What would a new one do differently? I really can't find anything that'd set it apart.
Thatt's akin to saying Avengers Endgame's final battle wouldn't work because what more is there to do after the final battles of the last three movies. There really isn't as much of a ceiling. There's always more to do. More monsters, more destruction, more action, more fun. I understand these types of big nonsense action movies may not be for everyone but to say there's nothing more to do is just plain wrong IMO. We've barely scratched the surface of battle royals for the MonsterVerse.
Not really. Endgame had plenty to work on. Restore half the universe, get some redemption, actually defeat Thanos, retire the old guard/team. Here it'd really just be seeing the monsters just fight again because you weren't satisfied enough the first time. But again, that's fine, I'm not interested in it, and it's off topic anyways unless someone wants Toho to do a new DAM without the Monsterverse.

Added in 5 minutes 57 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:47 pm ^ All of this. And speaking of the MCU, it's proven pretty conclusively that audiences have no problem flocking to very similar films over and over again as long as they're executed appealingly. A hypothetical DAM wouldn't need to reinvent the wheel, just be exciting and marketed well.
Difference is the MCU tends to succeed at the executing it well part. But really, I'm sorry for accidentally starting this tangent by not knowing about the new Apple show. But this is really not the Monsterverse discussion section, but the Toho Reiwa section, so can we please just discuss Toho and Reiwa? I have avoided the Monsterverse section for like half a year now for a reason.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Destroy all Titans could be Godzilla and Kong with their allies fighting an invading army. It could even be this for example.

A Super Titan arises and begins killing the Titans one by one. Godzilla, Kong, Rodan and Mothra make a desperate last stand but even together the 4 still might not win. There are several ways to do that plot and lets not act like the Toho films didn't share plots from time to time.

Added in 1 minute 28 seconds:
Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:56 pm

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:47 pm ^ All of this. And speaking of the MCU, it's proven pretty conclusively that audiences have no problem flocking to very similar films over and over again as long as they're executed appealingly. A hypothetical DAM wouldn't need to reinvent the wheel, just be exciting and marketed well.
Difference is the MCU tends to succeed at the executing it well part. But really, I'm sorry for accidentally starting this tangent by not knowing about the new Apple show. But this is really not the Monsterverse discussion section, but the Toho Reiwa section, so can we please just discuss Toho and Reiwa? I have avoided the Monsterverse section for like half a year now for a reason.
This thread might be in Reiwa but the topic is Godzilla's 70th and the Monsterverse very well could be that. This thread should be moved to the general Godzilla section if anything.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:09 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:43 pm KOTM isn't really a DAM-level movie. There was implied monster action all over the world but it was barely showcased, focusing instead on Godzilla and Ghidorah's fights.
But outside some of us nobody cares about the made up monsters destroying cities. We saw the actual Toho monsters, we saw destruction, we saw everything we'd get from a new DAM. What would a new one do differently? I really can't find anything that'd set it apart. We saw Mothra, Rodan, Godzilla, Ghidorah, and crazy destruction.
It’s not a DAM movie in the same sense thatCivil Wars is not technically and Avengers film.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:30 pm Destroy all Titans could be Godzilla and Kong with their allies fighting an invading army. It could even be this for example.

A Super Titan arises and begins killing the Titans one by one. Godzilla, Kong, Rodan and Mothra make a desperate last stand but even together the 4 still might not win. There are several ways to do that plot and lets not act like the Toho films didn't share plots from time to time.

Added in 1 minute 28 seconds:
Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:56 pm

This thread might be in Reiwa but the topic is Godzilla's 70th and the Monsterverse very well could be that. This thread should be moved to the general Godzilla section if anything.
I'm not going to comment on your proposed movie idea beyond it really, really, really not being anything I want to see right now. As for Godzilla's 70th being just another Monsterverse entry, you're probably right, sadly. But then might as well move this thread to that section then I guess? I don't know, just don't want to have to slog through reading Monsterverse stuff every time I look into a Godzilla thread now, no matter what section.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I personally want a MV remake of Godzilla vs. Gigan (different title for modern audiences) with Ghidorah replaced by someone like Megalon or Hedorah. Introduce aliens to the MV and some classic Toho weapons like masers. The franchise is definitely ready for aliens following the GvK looniness. You could still have some attacks on various cities and have a credible threat that'd cause Godzilla to get some help. Perhaps hand Godzilla his first, clear cut and non-interference loss in the MV mid-way through (Godzilla has yet to actually be defeated in a one-on-one fight without outside events happening like the Oxygen Destroyer). At this point, you could have the invaders targeting various Titans around the globe and killing some minor, new ones and perhaps kill someone like Behemoth or Scylla that a lot of us "know and love". You could still give someone like Rodan or a newcomer like Anguirus a scene to shine like they did in KoTM by having them fight, survive and escape the alien monsters and then return later in the finale.

You could reintroduce Mothra and have the larva join the battle in like older movies. Protecting Mothra's egg so that she can help empower Godzilla in the end could be a storyline for the human cast as the aliens wipe out Earth's Titans. Then, if you REALLY want to draw some audience, bring Kong in as one of Godzilla's allies. You could probably still get away with calling it "Destroy All Monsters" even if the basic story elements is pulled from Godzilla vs. Gigan.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

I see maybe this happening:
Season 2 or by then Season 3 of SP.
A MV entry
A MV graphic novel
A short from Togo

What I would like to see:
Season 2 AND 3 of SP
A series of Shorts
Maybe an animated version of the Super G game since they dropped the soundtrack last year.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I’m not a betting man but I think the most realistic prediction is Matango 2
He Jock it Made of Steel

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:56 pm First off, don't do that. Don't bring up GvK when I didn't even mention it or was talking about it and then make a snide remark about me not liking it. Why? What's the point in that?
Because GVK was important to the point I was making.
Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:56 pm This just feels like you want to be a bit asinine towards me.
It honestly wasn't. I just didn't want the point I was making to be buried by that. Sorry if you took it that way, that wasn't my intention.

Since you later on in your post say you don't even want to discuss this anymore, that's all I'll say on the matter. Just didn't want you thinking I was trying to insult or prod you.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:41 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:56 pm First off, don't do that. Don't bring up GvK when I didn't even mention it or was talking about it and then make a snide remark about me not liking it. Why? What's the point in that?
Because GVK was important to the point I was making.
Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:56 pm This just feels like you want to be a bit asinine towards me.
It honestly wasn't. I just didn't want the point I was making to be buried by that. Sorry if you took it that way, that wasn't my intention.

Since you later on in your post say you don't even want to discuss this anymore, that's all I'll say on the matter. Just didn't want you thinking I was trying to insult or prod you.
It really wasn't tho? Your point was just that people like action, you could have said it without bringing up that movie. And if you absolutely had to you could have done so without that remark, or worded that remark differently. As it was, it just felt like a jab at me being annoying, when I really had been trying to avoid that lately (I only talked about it in this thread when it was brought up to me). But fair enough, I really just don't want to be involved in those discussions.

Anyways, back on track: What I want? A full live action feature from Toho. What I expect? Maybe a MV project I'm not going to watch, maybe an anime no one'll really like, and perhaps a short film that'll be kind of cool.

And I'm outies.

Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician

Post by Cosbydaf »

A live action movie would be my preference, though an anime is probably more likely. There are some specific details that I would want implemented;

* I'm not picky on what kind of role Godzilla plays, but I want him to express some intention, and a little bit of personality. Give him a feeling of being a real creature, with his own motivations and goals, simplistic as they may be.

*Human characters that are at least somewhat engaging to watch, and not just either soulless or aggravating.

*Kaiju being treated as significant within their world, not just solely existing as obstacles for the protagonist, and the script having no interest in them beyond that.

*A script that does not have an extreme focus on something unrelated to kaiju

*Whichever kaiju are used, they don't have to be kept exactly the same, but don't drastically reinterpret them (Mechagodzilla City) or make them very small and weak compared to past incarnations. (SP Rodan)

I don't expect to get any of these things.
Last edited by Cosbydaf on Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

Vakanai wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:26 pm
OGMechaMothra wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:13 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:51 pm

Won't happen any time soon - Shin Kamen Rider is next. I wouldn't expect any other Shin film news until that's close to release.

Personally hoping that they don't do any crossovers.
While I doubt they'll do it. Shin Kamen Rider comes out next year in March which means production could be done this year. Meaning he would have time to write and film Shin Ultraman vs Shin Godzilla for a summer 2024 to winter 2024 release date.
God I hope not. I am so done with the obsession with crossovers. I pray that Godzilla and Ultraman just don't ever share a movie.

Added in 1 minute 55 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:51 pm Historically we've known Godzilla projects are typically developed years ahead. Drafts and scripts get written out well in secrecy years before any actual announcement. Whatever the next Godzilla film is, I guarantee it's already been workshopped heavily.
If they announce a film, sure. But there's no workshopping it if they're not doing something beyond the anime stuff and short films.

;) Shin Japan Heroes Universe has been announced.. just remember my post. Lol. We are getting closer! Lol.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Anyone using the official Godzilla App here? It seems to require VPN.
Apparently, they posted a recruitment of extras for new Toho Kaiju movie. The director is Takashi Yamazaki who has produced Always: Sunset on Third Street(Godzilla appeared as a cameo) and Godzilla the Ride. It is said that the scenes they are gonna shoot is set in Japan in the 1945s. They notified the title of the movie as something like "Big blockbuster Kaiju movie" in Japanese letters.(超大作怪獣映画) This sounds like a tentative working title. Maybe this is the sign of the new Godzilla movie. Especially as this was posted in the Godzilla App. Well, we can't be sure yet. Maybe they are making another very metapoetic movie in Kaiju genre.... The title sounds very cheesy if it isn't a working title.

Added in 2 minutes :
Welp, here is the actual text:
http://movies.robot.co.jp/extra/yamazakimovie/
Last edited by vastatosaurus on Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I want to see some interesting camera work like in Shin Godzilla or the Godzilla/Evangelion rides.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Filming is supposed to be in 1945-47, do either not Godzilla OR I think it could be that part of the movie is set in the past.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

OGMechaMothra wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:17 pm
Vakanai wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:26 pm
OGMechaMothra wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:13 pm

While I doubt they'll do it. Shin Kamen Rider comes out next year in March which means production could be done this year. Meaning he would have time to write and film Shin Ultraman vs Shin Godzilla for a summer 2024 to winter 2024 release date.
God I hope not. I am so done with the obsession with crossovers. I pray that Godzilla and Ultraman just don't ever share a movie.

Added in 1 minute 55 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:51 pm Historically we've known Godzilla projects are typically developed years ahead. Drafts and scripts get written out well in secrecy years before any actual announcement. Whatever the next Godzilla film is, I guarantee it's already been workshopped heavily.
If they announce a film, sure. But there's no workshopping it if they're not doing something beyond the anime stuff and short films.

;) Shin Japan Heroes Universe has been announced.. just remember my post. Lol. We are getting closer! Lol.
I don't know why you qouted me? I said I pray it won't happen, not that it for sure won't happen. Like you can't prove me wrong if it comes to pass.
I really hope this Shin Universe thing is just a cross promotional thing like Shin G x Evangelion and no film crossovers come from it. I understand I'm the only one on the site wishing for "omg all de charakters in 1 universe so coool!" doesn't come to pass, but eh, bite me. I don't like it, don't want it, just freaking keep making solo films. F u crossovers.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Unrelated sorrta...an image for G vs G 2 has shown up online.
https://eiga.com/news/20220222/10/