GODZILLA VS HEDORAH 2021 SHORT FILM

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

GODZILLA VS HEDORAH 2021 SHORT FILM

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

YES, this is real.

So this is the short film they'll be unveiling on November 2/3rd for online Gfes. Awesome to see the Final Wars Hedorah suit return. What a weird timeline we live in.

Edit, you can watch it here:
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: GODZILLA VS HEDORAH 2021 SHORT FILM

Post by Jermobooka »

Never thought I’d see the FinalGoji suit or the FW Hedorah suit used in any official capacity ever again, but damn am I glad to be wrong.

Can’t wait to see the FW Hedorah suit finally in some proper action!
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jermobooka wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:57 am Never thought I’d see the FinalGoji suit or the FW Hedorah suit used in any official capacity ever again, but damn am I glad to be wrong.

Can’t wait to see the FW Hedorah suit finally in some proper action!
Yeah, I can't help but feel like that was part of choosing what suit to use. Even if this is just a short film that's like 3 minutes, the entire thing will be longer than all of GFW Hedorah's screen time, which is insane if you think about it. I'm glad they're doing something like this, then let's say "Godzilla vs. Mothra 03" or something that's been done. So nice to see Hedorah get some love this year, between this and Godzilla Rivals issue 1.

The trailer promises a "super battle", so I assume Hedorah also won't be a pushover.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Fun! At least they're making sure to keep the old techniques alive in these ancillary materials.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Holy shit! FinalGoji is back! This gives me a lot of TV tokuatsu vibes in a really good way, especially Ultraman Z. Wonder if Toho is testing the waters for something....
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Moth wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:27 am Holy poop! FinalGoji is back! This gives me a lot of TV tokuatsu vibes in a really good way, especially Ultraman Z. Wonder if Toho is testing the waters for something....
I think a tokusatsu TV series is possible if they want to. I believe they will use CGI again if they would make a new incarnation of live action Godzilla movie.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

^I wouldn’t get your hopes up. There was a 2020 short film with a new Heisei suit (but also seemed lower budget and not as unique). This just feels like another one of those, but who knows. Given Toho recently making SP, a Godzilla television show isn’t completely out of the question.

Similar to the recent ride, Godziban and SP, this feels like another “how do we make Japanese Godzilla content without involving or stepping on Legendary’s toes”.

And holy shit this is another new Godzilla thing in 2021. The only thing that would sort of blow this out of the water would be another announcement towards the end of the year.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

This feels like an apology for what Final Wars did to him, lol. 17 years later. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would also be the first legit suitmation Godzilla battle we've gotten in, like, any capacity since 2004, no? It's like seeing an old friend. :)

Honestly, while I still prefer the original design, I've always been rather fond of the 2004 Hedorah incarnation as well and I've been disappointed that we rarely see it. They barely ever use it in extended media like comics or games. I can't believe the suits have held up this well (I imagine a lot of work went into preserving them); I mean, Godzilla's doing a jump kick for fuck's sake. Insanity.

For what's probably only going to be a couple minutes long, I'm SUPER excited for this little project! Never, ever expected to see anything like this...
Moth wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:27 am Wonder if Toho is testing the waters for something....
Now THAT would be interesting, even if it isn't for full movies or anything. Honestly, they should do more stuff like this with suits beyond the little commercials and such. Like an Ultra Fight series with surviving or even new suits. Wouldn't expect it, but would be a pleasant surprise!
Last edited by Shenanigans on Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Notably (or maybe not), there are a few significant Heisei Series elements here. For one thing, the title is ゴジラvsヘドラ (English "vs" as only in the Heisei films) and the title design looks like it was specifically inspired by Godzilla vs Mothra's. The release date at the end is also rendered the same way there were at the end of Heisei Series trailers. And the tagline is straight out of Godzilla vs Biollante.

Plus the music from Godzilla vs King Ghidorah (and the shot under the trailer's title is reminiscent of the title shot from that film).

It'll be interesting to see if the video tries to establish a link to the Heisei films, although it's also possible that whoever cut this trailer simply looked to the Heisei trailers for inspiration (however, that wouldn't explain the choice of "vs" in the title).
Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

This is pretty cool honestly. The effects look pretty clean but you can definitely see how the style is outdated now. A full fledged film with this technique wouldn’t work.. MAYBE for a tv show. With that being said, it’s great to see the style again.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Cookson wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:16 am The effects look pretty clean but you can definitely see how the style is outdated now. A full fledged film with this technique wouldn’t work.. MAYBE for a tv show.
I really doubt a feature theatrical film would use TV-style tokusatsu like this. This is definitely done on the cheap (logically, because it's for an online convention), and the brief glimpses of monster fighting we see are more akin to '70s TV tokusatsu than anything in the Toho films of the last 35 years. While I don't think Toho will ever mount a traditional tokusatsu Godzilla movie ever again, if they did, I don't think the effects work would come close to the style seen in this or the other GFes videos.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Your probably right. Btw is there any info about the length of this short?
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

Glad to see Hedo back in the spotlight. They could have easily reused Ghidorah/Gigan/Rodan ECT, so it's cool to see Toho thinking outside of the box.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

I dunno about you, but Gigan would be neat to see too.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Moth wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:13 am I dunno about you, but Gigan would be neat to see too.
The description on the trailer notes the 50th anniversary of Godzilla vs. Hedorah, so it's possible we'd see Gigan in a potential 2022 Godzilla Fest video.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

These stills were also released, BTW.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:40 pm
Moth wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:13 am I dunno about you, but Gigan would be neat to see too.
The description on the trailer notes the 50th anniversary of Godzilla vs. Hedorah, so it's possible we'd see Gigan in a potential 2022 Godzilla Fest video.
Don't we have G vs G2 to.look forward to?

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Interesting! It’s neat that they’re using these suits again, so color me curious!
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I feel like the GFW suit is a heavily modified/fixed version of the old one. The head looks slightly different, and the arms feel a bit more bulky.

I'm surprised by the Heisei connection, and I feel like it's probably just a reference to the old NEWSFLASH announcements. Who knows, it could be,
Spoiler:
Godzilla Junior fighting Hedorah ;)
Speaking of that, I wonder if this will have plot, or just be "Godzilla vs. Hedorah" randomly. I'm not expecting a real narrative, but I could easily imagine a few cutaways to some onlookers or someone.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The trailer presents this short as the Heisei entry that never was.