GODZILLA VS HEDORAH 2021 SHORT FILM

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: GODZILLA VS HEDORAH 2021 SHORT FILM

Post by LegendZilla »

If I were to be honest, this short felt like a 2020’s version of Toho’s Go Greenman and Go Godman! shorts. It’s mainly due to the shoddy production values.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Amazing how a short film barely over five minutes long mogs the entirety of the Monsterverse.
Resized Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:52 pm Amazing how a short film barely over five minutes long mogs the entirety of the Monsterverse.

In all seriousness I agree just because it's like... true tokusatsu on a microbudget. It was a rush to see miniatures and the FW suits back in action. Not to dog the Monsterverse but I'll take the old magic any day.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Arbok wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:26 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:01 am I imagine they remove the mouth mechanics (and other complicated parts) after the movies come out to preserve the suits and make them easier to display.
For Godzilla: Final Wars they created three Godzilla suits. The suits were dubbed as "super action suit", "impact action suit" and the "main suit". Very possible one of the action suits never had the mechanical aspects built-in but was designed to be more durable, to prevent damage to the main suit. If that's true, very possible one of those suits was the one used for this short.

I think the middle suit is the one used in the short.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Shenanigans wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:01 pm I was recently reminded that is not *technically* the first suitmation Godzilla battle since 2004; the CR pachinko games have filmed new footage using movie suits before, supposedly as recently as 2018 (though I haven't seen any new footage from that one). Here's a fun one from 2010 (which, despite using two Final Wars suits, does not use the FinalGoji suit):

I wonder if the new short will have beam effects like this. It'd be neat to see 2004 Hedorah using eye beams.
Something's wrong, Anguirus shouldn't attack his friend Godzilla!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

G-Matt wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:52 pm
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:19 pm

Ah so it really was Taguchi's work! I had a feeling from the way the fight was shot.... guy's a godsend.
The director of the short was actually Kazuhiro Nakagawa, who was an assistant director in ShinGoji, but he did direct two episodes of Z.
So it was Nakagawa! Funny story, I met Nakagawa at G-Fest 2017, so I find it inspiring that he was able to direct his own tokusatsu work later on.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:28 pm
G-Matt wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:52 pm
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:19 pm Ah so it really was Taguchi's work! I had a feeling from the way the fight was shot.... guy's a godsend.
The director of the short was actually Kazuhiro Nakagawa, who was an assistant director in ShinGoji, but he did direct two episodes of Z.
So it was Nakagawa! Funny story, I met Nakagawa at G-Fest 2017, so I find it inspiring that he was able to direct his own tokusatsu work later on.
Oh yeah, it was cool to see him there alongside Higuchi.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

This was a nice little video. Short, sweet tokusatsu that tugs at your nostalgia strings whether you're a Showa boomer or a Millennium... boomer? Wow those movies got old fast.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

This was such a fun short, really fun to see godzilla in suitmotion again and to finally see this incarnation of hedorah do something.
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:00 pm Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Luckily, Kaltes isn’t getting ahead of themselves.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

A very enjoyable short, nice throwback to classic suit action. Was a lot of fun.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Man, I just love seeing FinalGoji in action again. So many badass shots with it in this short.

Glad FinalGoji is actually a popular and loved enough design to be getting this much attention again despite all the “Ratzilla”-naysayers on TK :lol:
Last edited by Jermobooka on Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Are we allowed to both genuinely like the finalgoji suit AND think it has a rat face? Because I totally do.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

canofhumdingers wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:55 am Are we allowed to both genuinely like the finalgoji suit AND think it has a rat face? Because I totally do.
Again I don't get the rat-face association. But on the subject I always loved FinalGoji's design and think it's one of the best, so expressive and those eyes just sell the anger so well.

Undivided
Ronin

Post by Undivided »

It was fun for me to watch but also reminded me how the practical effects still look horrible and how a man in a suit just does not translate well today.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Rat:

FinaroGoji:

Pretty obvious if you ask me.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:52 pm Amazing how a short film barely over five minutes long mogs the entirety of the Monsterverse.
I wouldn't say the entirety of the Monsterverse. Maybe 2/4ths of it though yeah...

Added in 3 minutes 4 seconds:
Undivided wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:10 am It was fun for me to watch but also reminded me how the practical effects still look horrible and how a man in a suit just does not translate well today.
Yeah. We might love the old toku style, but that's never going up on the big screen again, outside of stuff attached to kids' shows ala Ultraman.

...I just figured out why so many people keep asking for an Ultraman styled Godzilla show, it's the only way to get suitmation Godzilla movies back. Huh.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Undivided wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:10 am It was fun for me to watch but also reminded me how the practical effects still look horrible and how a man in a suit just does not translate well today.
And you're saying that after watching a 5 minute short made on a tiny budget using 15 year old costumes and paying tribute to a movie made 50 years ago. Come on now.

With time, effort and money there could still be a place for suitmation and practical effects in future Japanese Godzilla films. But Toho isn't a fan of time, effort and money so....

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Vakanai wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:32 pm
I wouldn't say the entirety of the Monsterverse. Maybe 2/4ths of it though yeah...
Some people watch G flicks for the fights, some watch em for the substance. This had no substance, but was good at bringing us back to another time with nostalgic intent.

I'm not really seeing the scale you guys are basing this "mogs the MV" stuff off of.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira