GODZILLA VS HEDORAH 2021 SHORT FILM

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Re: GODZILLA VS HEDORAH 2021 SHORT FILM

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Loved it of course hope we see some more.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

A fun little short film, it was. Great to see the FW suits get some use again, and seeing FW Hedorah properly in action was a nice treat.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Watched the short film twice and I think it was a very cool thing for Toho to do. Was almost like an extended Final Wars battle with a lot of callbacks to the original Hedorah movie. The ending in particular with the theme and the sun was probably my favorite. Reminiscent of both the original movie and the end of Final Wars. The suits don't look perfect but they are almost 20 years old at this point. Overall, it was a bright part if my day and I hope Toho does more practical effects in future work.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

After the video of the Godzilla ride this was the second best Godzilla video released this year (opinions may vary). I really liked it for what it was, a short random fight scene. Unlike most here I don't really think a series like this would be the best thing - other than "keeping tokusatsu alive outside Ultraman" I don't quite see the point, and honestly worry it would hamper any chance of another film happening, which is my main desire from Toho at this point. Still, a fun little video and hope they keep doing more like it in the future.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:24 pm After the video of the Godzilla ride this was the second best Godzilla video released this year (opinions may vary). I really liked it for what it was, a short random fight scene. Unlike most here I don't really think a series like this would be the best thing - other than "keeping tokusatsu alive outside Ultraman" I don't quite see the point, and honestly worry it would hamper any chance of another film happening, which is my main desire from Toho at this point. Still, a fun little video and hope they keep doing more like it in the future.
Hmmm, I think your opinions are valid, and I agree. Ultimately I would prefer another movie if given the option.

Now all we need to do is see Ebirah in action :lol:
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Who played Godzilla and Hedorah?

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

That was a ton of fun. My kids loved it too. I’d absolutely be thrilled for a tv series, or even just a YouTube shorts series in this style. Yeah, I agree I’d prefer a full length feature film, but I’ll take what I can get!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Angilasman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:26 pm Who played Godzilla and Hedorah?
From the credits, Godzilla is Naoya Matsumoto (I assume that's the correct reading of 松本直也) and Hedorah was Hikaru Yoshida (よしだひかる). Anything else about them, though... :shrug:
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:47 pm Watched the short film twice and I think it was a very cool thing for Toho to do. Was almost like an extended Final Wars battle with a lot of callbacks to the original Hedorah movie. The ending in particular with the theme and the sun was probably my favorite. Reminiscent of both the original movie and the end of Final Wars. The suits don't look perfect but they are almost 20 years old at this point. Overall, it was a bright part if my day and I hope Toho does more practical effects in future work.
They were both fun Godzilla battles but it’s kinda crazy that both are two totally different styles. Obviously the budget is small for both but “the ride” style is what they really need to push for, for the future with a bigger budget obviously. Basically Shin Godzilla… but you can most certainly mix in both here and there. Now if they were going to legitimately continue the showa timeline via a show, I’d probably be down for the old traditional style… but more like an advanced Monster Galaxy budget.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

I loved it! It was so awesome to see Godzilla brought to life via suitimation again, really hoping they use practical effects for the next film they make or that they make a TV series similar to this. The Final Wars suits looked great for how much time has passed and it was nice to see Hedorah do something hahaha. The Final Wars Godzilla design is still one of my favorites so I was very happy to see him back in action. Really hoping we get word on the SH Monsterarts they teased forever ago!
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

DragonZord13
GPN Volunteer

Post by DragonZord13 »

67 years later and Toho Monsters still can't blink lol. God this was fun, the music choices had me screaming like a kid in a candy store. We're these the actual FW suits or recreations?
I like shows where Japanese folks change into spandex clad heroes and fight rubber suits.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

DragonZord13 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:08 am 67 years later and Toho Monsters still can't blink lol. God this was fun, the music choices had me screaming like a kid in a candy store. We're these the actual FW suits or recreations?
I've been wondering the same thing myself. They do kinda look like the OG suits aged a decade and a half, don't they?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

DragonZord13 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:08 am 67 years later and Toho Monsters still can't blink lol. God this was fun, the music choices had me screaming like a kid in a candy store. We're these the actual FW suits or recreations?
Definitely the old suits. If they were going to build brand new suits it's unlikely they would have designed them to look exactly like the GFW versions. It's very clear, especially with Godzilla, that they're as old as they are, but they've been given a nice coat of paint the make them look newer. Does Godzilla move his mouth much in this short? The face mechanisms may not work any more. And I doubt that Hedorah costume ever had working eyelids.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Yeah I noticed they were very selective (and a bit coy, hiding it behind buildings and such) about how and when they showed Godzilla move his mouth. It’s clear the mechanism wasn’t working properly, if at all. And in closeups you could tell the suits had a thick shiny coat of paint or sealant or something. They definitely had been preserved and it made many of the fine skin texture details appear a lot softer. But it was still awesome and really great to see Godzilla suitmation again! And after 17 years I’m surprised the suits are even useable, much less still look this good!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I imagine they remove the mouth mechanics (and other complicated parts) after the movies come out to preserve the suits and make them easier to display.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I wonder if Godzilla's eye injury is permanently on the suit now. Like a badass scar to represent the longevity of the suit itself being brought back one more time.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:07 pm I wonder if Godzilla's eye injury is permanently on the suit now. Like a badass scar to represent the longevity of the suit itself being brought back one more time.
Modern Toho is going to use whatever suits they have left as much as they can as display pieces and will no doubt go out of their way to keep them as pristine as possible. However they made that damaged eye, I guarantee it was not permanent.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:27 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:07 pm I wonder if Godzilla's eye injury is permanently on the suit now. Like a badass scar to represent the longevity of the suit itself being brought back one more time.
Modern Toho is going to use whatever suits they have left as much as they can as display pieces and will no doubt go out of their way to keep them as pristine as possible. However they made that damaged eye, I guarantee it was not permanent.
Very, very true, maybe a cap of some sort with a velcro attachment.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

I was just wondering if they could have used some more low angle shots.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:01 am I imagine they remove the mouth mechanics (and other complicated parts) after the movies come out to preserve the suits and make them easier to display.
For Godzilla: Final Wars they created three Godzilla suits. The suits were dubbed as "super action suit", "impact action suit" and the "main suit". Very possible one of the action suits never had the mechanical aspects built-in but was designed to be more durable, to prevent damage to the main suit. If that's true, very possible one of those suits was the one used for this short.

If it bites... don't mess with it!