Mondo Godzilla Collectibles

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Re: Mondo Godzilla Collectibles

Post by DoubleDam21 »

Ok those Biollante figures are pretty cool and since she is one of my favorites I will probably “try” to get one.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

To be fair I always felt like the defo real line was a high end response to those funky pops. Which poses another question to me, how much of pops existence itself is owned to the concept of “chibis”?
He Jock it Made of Steel

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Pop vinyls owe their existence from combining science and black magic.

ThirstyThursdayToys
Young Farmer

Post by ThirstyThursdayToys »

DoubleDam21 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:48 am ...sadly enough though they are only selling them at their booth at DesignerCon. I would love that Godzilla 84 variant.
I think that was the worst move Mondo pulled - On top of all the limited runs, they advertise all the figure variants on the packaging, telling us to collect them all, only to make the final one a show exclusive. And then joked on Instagram about putting some online if there are any left. They knew there wouldn't be any left.

On the upside, that's the best way to avoid bots...

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Anyone else get an E-mail notification of the HB Godzilla shipping? Just got my tracking and all.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:16 pm Anyone else get an E-mail notification of the HB Godzilla shipping? Just got my tracking and all.
I did!! I wasn't expecting this for months!

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Half a year early.

So, its neat. Tail connects by magnet, but its still a very tight fit so it isn't going anywhere. The little name plate also connects to the base through magnets (the stand/name plate is simple, but makes it look especially nice on a shelf). Its as detailed as you can possibly make a very, very simple design, so no complaints there; it looks great, actually. However, for what it cost, I'm a little surprised at some small flaws, like some slight paint slop on a couple teeth. The feet aren't completely flat to the ground either, and even though that doesn't affect how he stands, for what they're asking for I'd expect damn-near perfection.

He looks good with 6" figures, not quite as big as I expected, which is preferable. He is the tallest Godzilla anyway (outside of Godzilla Earth), so it fits.

The big question is - is it worth $120? No. Not even close. Honestly, I fail to see any reason this couldn't have cost $60, and the minor imperfections are all that more noticeable since it wasn't that cheap. They could and should have thrown in a little Godzooky accessory for that price. At the same time, this guy is pretty much only for die-hard completionists like myself anyway. I'm willing to pay a little bit more for obscure characters no one else will make, so I certainly don't regret the purchase.

I am particularly pleased to have this guy since, with it, I now have at least one figure from all the main Godzilla TV shows. Hanna-Barbera Godzilla fills a hole in my collection. I do wish it didn't cost so much too complete this goal, but what can you do?

Last edited by Shenanigans on Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

That thing is neat.

But it's not $120 neat.

But this is a franchise where people will gladly plunk down thousands for a Space Godzilla statue....

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:35 am That thing is neat. But it's not $120 neat.
I concur. It looks far better than I expected it to, but it's still about 2-3x what I'd pay for anything that size in general.
But this is a franchise where people will gladly plunk down thousands for a Space Godzilla statue....
More and more I find myself priced out of a toy franchise that I otherwise loved and fed regularly. I have no idea how anyone can afford to pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars for a plastic figure. And then do it again six months later. I don't have the shelf space, or the wallet space.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I wanted it, but yeah, at that price point, I just want more. I thought it would be a 25 cm with how simple the design is. Idk why I would think that. But yeah, it’s cool, but glad I passed.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

G1985 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:38 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:35 am That thing is neat. But it's not $120 neat.
I concur. It looks far better than I expected it to, but it's still about 2-3x what I'd pay for anything that size in general.
More and more I find myself priced out of a toy franchise that I otherwise loved and fed regularly. I have no idea how anyone can afford to pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars for a plastic figure. And then do it again six months later. I don't have the shelf space, or the wallet space.
I used to spend big bucks on toys. But that was back when I was single, didn't have kids and had money to burn after a medical wrongful death settlement surrounding my father.

But now I'm married, I have a kid and rent in NY sucks. We get paid well and do okay but, holy shit, I absolutely do not have the money to keep up with this nutty hobby anymore. And yeah, Godzilla merch in general is getting crazy expensive. Even the "cheap" 6" Bandais are twice as much as they used to be. 15 years ago I could drop $300 and get a big box full of shit. That's, like, one figure now.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

HB Godzilla arrived today and yeah, I think this may be a one and done entrance into this line for me. Unless they pump out more obscure versions of Godzilla and kaiju (Super Godzilla....). The figure looks absolutely awesome, but for $120... I was kinda in the mind set it'd be bigger. Still looks great on the shelf and I finally have SOMETHING of HB Goji.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Bougey collectibles are starting to frighteningly become the norm in this fandom. From thousand dollar statues to shit like this. This figure looks awesome and would fit right in my Godzilla display but I refuse to pay $120 for it. Absurdity.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

100% agree
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I listed my 89 for sale the day I got it. Looked like a cheap toy IMO, not a “premium statue”

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Reject statues, return to vinyls

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I do have some expensive things (SCV Biollante) and some stuff that on paper SHOULD be expensive but wasn't (SCV 2000 and musical Godzilla were both clearance bin finds). I have made plans for SCV Ghidorah, and the Smog Monster. But overall, my main source of stuff was selling older things to collectors who clearly had more money than I did. That's where the money for all my preorders for this year came from, but after that, it's NOT a seller's market anymore. I'm wondering if we're seeing the bubble about to burst on super-high-end stuff. If I could LITERALLY buy a car for the cost of a few toys (sorry, STATUES...) there's something wrong with the equation. And seeing as I *do* want to get a truck soon, that one's going to win in whatever calculus I have to make.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The reaction to the price of this thing is going to repeat itself when the Super7 Ultimates hit. Mark my words.

Not too long ago, Super 7 unveiled figures based on Animaniacs and the Simpsons. Beautiful toys, especially the Simpsons ones, but the prices are absolutely STUPID. I'd love to have figures of the Animniacs characters to display, but I'm not crazy enough to spend $275+ on these for a full set.

The prices on anything they do with Godzilla are going to be scary.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:47 pm HB Godzilla arrived today and yeah, I think this may be a one and done entrance into this line for me. Unless they pump out more obscure versions of Godzilla and kaiju (Super Godzilla....). The figure looks absolutely awesome, but for $120... I was kinda in the mind set it'd be bigger. Still looks great on the shelf and I finally have SOMETHING of HB Goji.
I think the only obscure Godzilla that could lure me at that price in would be a Herb Trimpe Marvel Godzilla: