Mondo Godzilla Collectibles

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Mondo Godzilla Collectibles

Post by Shenanigans »

Might as well give Mondo a thread since they've been revealing quite a bit lately. Their "Godzilla Museum" looks neat.

Details on the Hanna-Barbera Godzilla have been revealed; will go on sale this week.

https://mondoshop.com/blogs/news/godzil ... -sale-info

Gotta say, as much as I love niche collectibles of this nature, I'm really tempted to pass on it now. I was legit thinking it'd be $60-70 at the absolute most. $120 for this thing? Fuck off.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Mondo Godzilla Collectibles

Post by Maritonic »

Good thing you're tempted to pass; Mondo has been having a serious problem with bots/scalpers buying up new releases in a matter of seconds. I'd love to get my hands on the HB Godzilla, but it' just not going to happen.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Maritonic wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:26 am Good thing you're tempted to pass; Mondo has been having a serious problem with bots/scalpers buying up new releases in a matter of seconds. I'd love to get my hands on the HB Godzilla, but it' just not going to happen.
Yeah, I heard something about their SDCC exclusives quite literally selling out in seconds. They need to get their shit together, its pretty embarrassing.

Companies like Mondo are ruining the fun of collecting with this "artificial scarcity" BS, like what people were saying in the Super7 thread here a few weeks ago. I despise having to jump through hoops with these increasingly limited windows to grab things - not to mention the fact that the apparent "exclusivity" means they can charge whatever the hell they want for this shit. Mondo is possibly the worst offender of all this.

Not a fan of the company to say the least, but I'll still keep an eye on future reveals simply because I'm interested in seeing how "niche" they're willing to go. Hanna-Barbera Godzilla is certainly an inspired choice, no one's ever done one before.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

It's absolutely not just Mondo, collecting in general has become a bit of a shitshow. I think the issue with Mondo is more their site and protection against bots than limited availability.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I'm not saying bots aren't a problem for mondo , they are. But I think the issue of bots largely depends on product and ip. Maybe not so much for the godzilla merch, but some properties are just a simple numbers game. A poster/statue gets revealed and may receive thousands of likes across various platforms. While not all likers will buy, there may be significantly more potential purchasers than the 200 - 300 allotted printings. Bots certainly don't help but for some properties I could easily see most of the buyers being legitimate, and products still selling out within seconds. I wish they switched to a limited pre-order model where they only print as many pre orders as they receive within a timeframe that some companies do (Tsuburaya productions did this for an ultraman poster not too long ago). How much of this is on mondo/toho I got no idea, but its definitely contractual.
He Jock it Made of Steel

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Can't see the page anymore. This thing didn't already sell out, did it?

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

KingKaiju wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:52 am Can't see the page anymore. This thing didn't already sell out, did it?
No it goes on sale tomorrow

rob6027
GPN Volunteer

Post by rob6027 »

Wish they would post the edition size. If its 150 then nope... 300-500 then we have a chance.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

rob6027 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:28 pm Wish they would post the edition size. If its 150 then nope... 300-500 then we have a chance.
Yeah not holding my breath as everything from Mondo seems to sell out in seconds and I don’t see this being any different but here’s to hoping as I would love to be able to get my hands on these.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

The Hanna Barbera Goji looks great. But the sculpt on the ‘54 leaves a lot to be desired. Definitely an “interpretation” and not overly concerned with screen accuracy.

And what is this “Attack Peter” version? Is it some kind of reference/crossover to some other property I’m not familiar with? Looks vaguely ‘60’s-ish (‘65 or ‘68 maybe?) but obviously very heavily stylized.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

canofhumdingers wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:06 am And what is this “Attack Peter” version? Is it some kind of reference/crossover to some other property I’m not familiar with? Looks vaguely ‘60’s-ish (‘65 or ‘68 maybe?) but obviously very heavily stylized.
It's just an original designer piece by artist Peter Santa-Maria

https://attackpeter.com/

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

I was able to grab one which is surprising but maybe that's because there is no edition size?

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Remembered this statue this morning and had some free time, so I ultimately decided to grab it after all. Figured I could always sell it if I didn't like it or think it was worth it, but honestly I'll probably end up keeping it. I got figures from all the other Godzilla TV series, so it's nice to have a representation of this one. As overpriced as it is, you can't deny it's a damn fine likeness.

Not set to ship until next summer though, apparently. That kind of sucks. I guess that's why they didn't reveal the release date ahead of time.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

Shenanigans wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:19 am Remembered this statue this morning and had some free time, so I ultimately decided to grab it after all. Figured I could always sell it if I didn't like it or think it was worth it, but honestly I'll probably end up keeping it. I got figures from all the other Godzilla TV series, so it's nice to have a representation of this one. As overpriced as it is, you can't deny it's a damn fine likeness.

Not set to ship until next summer though, apparently. That kind of sucks. I guess that's why they didn't reveal the release date ahead of time.
Yeah this is steep but always wanted a good figure of this but will take a statue as well. Also might be interested in Attack Peter one as it’s very different and unique. Although didn’t realize it was shipping next summer. That’s quite the time table for these.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Let me wrap my brain around this. This is how big? 7" or so? And the thing is what, about $120? And it won't be out for another year?

I have no words.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I saw the payment plan and said "fuck it!" So, guess I'm going to get a Hanna Barbera Godzilla in my collection.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

It will be interesting to see if this is popular where they go from here. Maybe a Super Godzilla :lol:
Last edited by DoubleDam21 on Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:47 am Let me wrap my brain around this. This is how big? 7" or so? And the thing is what, about $120? And it won't be out for another year?

I have no words.
Exactly my thoughts.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Is this like, your guys’ first time hearing about Mondo products or…

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Never really had a reason to buy anything Mondo, and that price tag for that product, doesn't seem too welcoming.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira