Mondo Godzilla Collectibles

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Creature22
EDF Instructor

Re: Mondo Godzilla Collectibles

Post by Creature22 »

I think the whole "rarity" thing has also taken a new path with modern releases because a lot of exclusives will utilize the same mold. The figure in question will not be rare, but the particular variant might be, so it creates an interesting phenomenon that almost branches more into the commissioned piece territory. Unpainted test shot figures, for example, are merely made to test the mold out and are then sold or given away at events. Sometimes there are literally so few in that color produced that I could count the number with one hand. But for every color that is made, it produces a new version in the eyes of the collector.

In some cases people will not be particular about which version they get, so long as they're able to have the figure in question, so searching is a bit easier. But if you're one of those collectors who wants a specific variant, and you know there are only a few out there, it will be a hunt.

Relating this to Mondo, I think that is definitely a factor for their market, notwithstanding the issue with bots.
Last edited by Creature22 on Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

LiamNeesons
Samurai

Post by LiamNeesons »

Mondo announced on their Twitter that the Attack Peter Godzilla Museum figure will go up for preorder on Tuesday. I love Attack Peter’s work, so I might jump on this one.

{---HYPERZeTToN---}
G-Force Personnel

Post by {---HYPERZeTToN---} »

Speaking of Mondo exclusives, does anyone here own the Deluxe Pulgasauri figure? I don't own one myself but i'd like to see some opinions on it from y'all, of course it's expensive but it looks fantastic

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

{---HYPERZeTToN---} wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:50 pm Speaking of Mondo exclusives, does anyone here own the Deluxe Pulgasauri figure? I don't own one myself but i'd like to see some opinions on it from y'all, of course it's expensive but it looks fantastic
I have the regular release, and I'll say it looks fantastic. There is an issue with horns breaking off, however.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

Guess I will try my hand at the Attack Peter one. I wasn’t going to and I don’t want to collect them all but the HB and AP are too hard to pass up as I really like their designs.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Holy crap that was quick....

Mondo dropped the cleverly named "Imperial Variant" of their G1984 vinyl figure five minutes ago, at 2pm Central...by 2:02pm it was sold out of the 300 piece run.

Last edited by G1985 on Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Seriously? Geez Mondo!! I signed up for the email alerts. I had the “drop” site AND the mondo homepage loaded on my phone repeatedly checking and refreshing it all day. And I was hopeful they’d release another color variant of this guy today. But they never gave ANY indication this was coming. After the G’54 statue and record went up, and with NO indication anything else was coming today. I gave up. Plus I’m an adult with a life outside the internet and can’t spend every second all day checking a stupid website. This is the last straw Mondo. You’ll never get a dime from me.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

canofhumdingers wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:35 am Seriously? Geez Mondo!! I signed up for the email alerts. I had the “drop” site AND the mondo homepage loaded on my phone repeatedly checking and refreshing it all day. And I was hopeful they’d release another color variant of this guy today. But they never gave ANY indication this was coming. After the G’54 statue and record went up, and with NO indication anything else was coming today. I gave up. Plus I’m an adult with a life outside the internet and can’t spend every second all day checking a stupid website. This is the last straw Mondo. You’ll never get a dime from me.
They had it on their Facebook if that is any consolation. They said they were going to put the record on sale first, then the posters, and then the figures. I normally go through their Facebook as the usually post ahead of time so you can at least be prepared.
Last edited by DoubleDam21 on Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Bummer. I’m not on Facebook and won’t be joining anytime soon ever. But that’s on me I suppose. Still, mondo’s business model is clearly not designed for me as a customer and I’m done even trying to get their crap.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

DoubleDam21 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:45 am
canofhumdingers wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:35 am Seriously? Geez Mondo!! I signed up for the email alerts. I had the “drop” site AND the mondo homepage loaded on my phone repeatedly checking and refreshing it all day. And I was hopeful they’d release another color variant of this guy today. But they never gave ANY indication this was coming. After the G’54 statue and record went up, and with NO indication anything else was coming today. I gave up. Plus I’m an adult with a life outside the internet and can’t spend every second all day checking a stupid website. This is the last straw Mondo. You’ll never get a dime from me.
They had it on their Facebook if that is any consolation. They said they were going to put the record on sale first, then the posters, and then the figures. I normally go through their Facebook as the usually post ahead of time so you can at least be prepared.
FWIW Facebook was how I found out about it. And to canofhumdingers' point, I've submitted my email address to Mondo's site for updates at least three different times this year, including the day after they dropped the "return of Godzilla" edition of this figure, but I have *never* received a drop warning or advance notice for any of their '84 vinyl figure releases. If I hadn't stumbled upon their "Godzilla Day" post yesterday, I would have never known about today's drop.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

Oh I totally agree with both of you as I too have submitted my emails for updates with nothing to show I was just saying Facebook was the only way I found out about it and that’s only because they was a couple of posters/figures that dropped that I had no clue about until I looked at their page. Clearly not the best business strategy but it seems they don’t care as long as they sell out.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

https://mondoshop.com/blogs/news/mondo- ... QalVtEo_18

Here’s a link to more items they are releasing sadly enough though they are only selling them at their booth at DesignerCon. I would love that Godzilla 84 variant.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

DoubleDam21 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:48 am https://mondoshop.com/blogs/news/mondo- ... QalVtEo_18

Here’s a link to more items they are releasing sadly enough though they are only selling them at their booth at DesignerCon. I would love that Godzilla 84 variant.
I think the DesignerCon blue and red variant is the last that Mondo will be releasing before they retire that sculpt. FWIW I'm seeing eBay prices starting to drop for the others, so it may be possible to pick up one of the others for close to the original cost (roughly $115 after shipping).
Last edited by G1985 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LiamNeesons
Samurai

Post by LiamNeesons »

I was able to cancel my Mothra statue preorder and get a full refund. I’ve lost complete confidence in them after getting that ‘89 statue. It felt like an overgrown version of that Diamond Select Godzilla PVC statue on top of a poly stone base.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

G1985 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:16 pm
DoubleDam21 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:48 am https://mondoshop.com/blogs/news/mondo- ... QalVtEo_18

I think the DesignerCon blue and red variant is the last that Mondo will be releasing before they retire that sculpt. FWIW I'm seeing eBay prices starting to drop for the others, so it may be possible to pick up one of the others for close to the original cost (roughly $115 after shipping).
Yeah I think they had 5 scheduled and this will be the fifth. Yeah I noticed some are coming down in price but the one I want the most is the cherry blossom one and its one of the more expensive ones of course.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

New stuff:

https://twitter.com/MondoNews/status/14 ... 8962976775

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/sta ... 3978335232

Not gonna lie, I almost want that Firefighter Jet Jaguar because I loved Godzilla Island and its lovely to see it acknowledged again, but I'm not going through the whole song and dance to get it. The Biollante looks sick though.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Are those jet jaguars vinyl figures?
He Jock it Made of Steel

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

*Whew* Nothing that appeals to me. My wallet is safe for awhile!
Last edited by G1985 on Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.