Random Musings and Factoids Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Re: Random Musings and Factoids Thread

Post by StardustGenius »

Honda was really good at directing a crowd, but he was also really good by having a cameraman to make a crowd look bigger than it really was.

I remember the commentary on Mothra saying the crowd at the end was no where near as big as they were hoping. It still looked great to me!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

With all the Gigan-centric goings on lately, I was flipping through this little pocket size vintage book I have. In it is a page with two photos showing the different wing designs on the original suit quite clearly. On the left is the more commonly seen “pointy top” wing. On the right is the less common rounded wing. I believe the rounded wing was the original design and it was replaced with the pointed top wing after it was damaged but I don’t remember for certain. Maybe someone else who knows can chime in? Regardless, it’s cool to see them side by side. Personally I prefer the pointed wing. It looks much more dynamic and vicious.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The rounded wings were on the first Gigan. The neck was also a little different originally. They actually mention it (in English) and show a comparison in the visual book for Gigan.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Ah I knew I’d read about it somewhere. I have that book. I’ll have to give it a look. But was it two separate suits or just modifications to the same suit? I was under the impression that the second Gigan suit was built for Megalon. Did they build two suits for Gigan and a third for Megalon?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

They modified the original. There was only ever two Gigan suits.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

And here’s the answer:

So only one suit that was repaired during filming. Looking at the neck the first version has five spikes and the second has only four.

Another interesting note; the Champion Matsuri Completion book says the second Gigan suit that was built for Megalon changed the claws to latex. I don’t know what they were made of on the first suit but I can’t help but assume the change was made to make them either lighter or softer (or both).

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

fun fact: reading in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah Completion today finally confirmed my long held suspicion that the nuclear submarine in said film is the same model used in Godzilla 1984 (though slightly revamped). Apparently it’s also in Tokyo SOS but it’s been a while since I’ve watched that one and don’t remember seeing it.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

vs King Ghidorah had a lot of cool sequences storyboarded that never got filmed. Godzilla biting off Ghidorah's middile head, AMERICAN SATELLITES BOMBARDING GODZILLA! I remember seeing that display at G-Fest a few years back.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Gotta track me down those storyboards, sounds awesome!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That satellite idea sounds interesting. Maybe this is why we got DT in G vs Meg.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

canofhumdingers wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:06 pm Another interesting note; the Champion Matsuri Completion book says the second Gigan suit that was built for Megalon changed the claws to latex. I don’t know what they were made of on the first suit but I can’t help but assume the change was made to make them either lighter or softer (or both).
Pretty sure they were fiberglass in '72, which I believe I read in an interview with Nakano. Could just be my potato brain lying to me, but they look like fiberglass.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:35 pm
canofhumdingers wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:06 pm Another interesting note; the Champion Matsuri Completion book says the second Gigan suit that was built for Megalon changed the claws to latex. I don’t know what they were made of on the first suit but I can’t help but assume the change was made to make them either lighter or softer (or both).
Pretty sure they were fiberglass in '72, which I believe I read in an interview with Nakano. Could just be my potato brain lying to me, but they look like fiberglass.
They were fiberglass, and thus were extremely heavy and unwieldy to use, so the material was changed for Megalon
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Why did they make a whole new Gigan suit for Megalon? It would've been more financially safe to re-use the 1972 suit.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:43 pm ^Why did they make a whole new Gigan suit for Megalon? It would've been more financially safe to re-use the 1972 suit.
The first suit was difficult to act in and wouldn't have been able to handle the faster, more physical fighting needed in Godzilla vs Megalon.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cyberdra_1
Ronin

Post by Cyberdra_1 »

A musing: Where do kaiju beams go when they don't hit a rock or a building or another kaiju etc? Do they eventually just keep traveling through the air until they hit something? Do they get weaker and eventually dissipate or do they stay in the same range of power upon expulsion? Imagine if Godzilla was battling Ghidorah and Godzilla grabbed one of Ghidorah's heads and aimed it to the air when it was about to fire a gravity beam. I always thought maybe that rogue beam would strike some unsuspecting commercial airliner unaware of the action taking place 30,000 feet below.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I know that lasers will keep going until they hit something.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

My brother brought this up when we watched Shin a few weeks ago. Where are all the horizontal beams going? They slice through skyscrapers like butter and just keep flying. Given that level of power, they probably don't dissipate quickly. I figure Japan is about 70% mountains, most likely beams heading inland will be blocked by a mountain before they get far. Those aimed out to sea might just continue off into space due to the curvature of the earth. Man, that would've been a wild visual. Imagine Shin shooting down satellites or the International Space Station or something.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:38 am I figure Japan is about 70% mountains, most likely beams heading inland will be blocked by a mountain before they get far.
That's pretty nightmarish. While most people and major cities aren't located directly on/near mountains, Shin Godzilla could potentially very easily completely change Japan's topographical area, depending on where his beams hit. That doesn't speak much of the risk of his beams colliding with a nuclear reactor, or Mt. Fuji or something.

My own thoughts is that it largely depends on the monster/beam itself. Keep in mind some of the beams/attacks are completely different types of weapons. I'm forgetting which film it is, but the Showa Godzilla a couple of times did completely miss, and we could see his beam/breath dissapate. It might've been a brief moment, but the Showa beam reach isn't so far (at least in comparison to Heisei and Shin.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

There's an enemy in the game Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast called Cyber Kong which bares more than a passing resemblance to Mechanikong.

https://www.mariowiki.com/Cyber_Kong
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Don't forget about the Muppet Show where Mechanikong's head was a "gorilla detector."