Random Musings and Factoids Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Random Musings and Factoids Thread

Post by eabaker »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:23 am
eabaker wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:05 am
edgaguirus wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:13 pm Godzilla wise, Miki is the first major girl character in the film franchise. Next would be the daughter in G vs M, and then Jia in G vs K.
I'm not even a fan of the movie, but I can't sit idly by and allow this Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla erasure to occur.
Also, define "major". What about Katsura for example? There are several female characters in the 60s films that are far more important than Miki is in several of the movies in which she appears.
I think Miki is being included because, while older than the girls in the other examples, she is still a minor in her first appearance, whereas Katsura is a young adult.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

eabaker wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:05 am
edgaguirus wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:13 pm Godzilla wise, Miki is the first major girl character in the film franchise. Next would be the daughter in G vs M, and then Jia in G vs K.
I'm not even a fan of the movie, but I can't sit idly by and allow this Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla erasure to occur.
My apology. The daughter in that one is an important character. I haven't watched it in a while, so she slipped my mind.

And as Eabaker pointed out, Miki is a teen in G vs Biollante. I'm not sure how others would define girl and woman, or what age determines the difference, but all the characters I listed are children or young.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

There's Ichiro's friend Sachiko, whom I guess could be considered apart of Godzilla's Revenge's main cast, albeit her role really isn't that important.

But I'm shocked it's taken this long for anybody to mention Madison in Godzilla KOTM and Godzilla vs. Kong (though I guess she might be a young adult by the latter film, if we're strictly talking about minors here).
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I was specifically talking about teenage or younger girls from the Showa series, hence why I didn't mention all of these Heisei and onward characters. As long as we're branching out, though, you're all imbeciles for forgetting Io Shinoda from G2K. She's definitely one of the standouts.

Memorable or not, Godzilla vs. Mothra and the first two ROMs all prominently feature young girl characters, in leading roles for the latter two.

Asagi and Ayana from the Gamera Trilogy are two obvious standouts, too.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:13 pm I was specifically talking about teenage or younger girls from the Showa series, hence why I didn't mention all of these Heisei and onward characters. As long as we're branching out, though, you're all imbeciles for forgetting Io Shinoda from G2K. She's definitely one of the standouts.
Oh my god... I remembered a character from a far inferior Millennium entry, but completely blanked on Io...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

I love the progression of the film series, and in particular the Honda run deserves more attention because in there Godzilla slowly goes from villain, to anti-hero, to full-fledged hero in 1975. Kind of like a Ronin redeeming himself over the course of a couple decades

It's been several years but Terror of MechaGodzilla was my first Showa, and I'll always have the softest of spots for it. There are tons of cool concepts, and Katsura's tragedy resonates with me
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:13 pmAs long as we're branching out, though, you're all imbeciles for forgetting Io Shinoda from G2K. She's definitely one of the standouts.
Yeah, we all deserve a tarring and feathering for forgetting her. G2K might be a lousy movie (IMO), but there's no denying the GPN and Yuki are a fun trio.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Ok here's something super random...

A small plastic toy of the Belgian comic strip character Marsupilami appears hanging from the rear view mirror of a car about 12 minutes into Atragon. The character is primarily well known in the US from a pair of TV series it appeared in during the early 90s made by Disney, but it dates all the way back to the 1950s.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:45 pm Ok here's something super random...

A small plastic toy of the Belgian comic strip character Marsupilami appears hanging from the rear view mirror of a car about 12 minutes into Atragon. The character is primarily well known in the US from a pair of TV series it appeared in during the early 90s made by Disney, but it dates all the way back to the 1950s.
That's weird. The Ja.Wikipedia Marsupilami entry is just a rough overview of the character and the Belgian publication history, so I don't know if it was syndicated in Japan.

Speaking of Atragon, Kenji Sahara's character's name is Unno Uoto. I don't think it's visibly written out in the movie, and I'm not sure how Sekizawa wrote it in his screenplay, but most sources transcribe it as 海野魚人. Regardless, the given name Uoto is literally "fish-man" and Unno (a legitimate Japanese surname) could be "ocean plains" if taken literally. I think Sekizawa named characters this way fairly often in his scripts.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I wasn't sure if I should make a whole separate topic about this but posting here seems to work. I do love Godzilla movies but the writer in me is annoyed by lack of continuity. Such as when I learned that they changed locations of where Mechagodzilla was destroyed between films. Not a difference of a few miles but basically other sides of the country. And never being clear about whether it's a second Anguirus in Destroy All Monsters or the first was merely mauled and yadda yadda.

Now I've started a project of getting all the Universal Monster blu-rays and chopping through the Frankenstein films and oh...look at that...they're making up their own continuity as they go too.
Bride of Frankenstein: Hey where's Victor, Henry's best friend? Aw who cares.
Not that big a deal but the third Son of Frankenstein really starts changing history up. Now Henry has died at the conclusion of Bride (which was the original ending but they changed it at the last minute). So Elizabeth must have been pregnant with Wolf at the conclusion of Bride in this version. And an inspector with a wooden arm who had it torn off by the monster when he was a child which we don't see happen in the first two films.

It was just a funny realization as I just started watching Son of Frankenstein. It seems like it was mostly monster movies that got sequels. Who needs perfect continuity when you got a movie to tell?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:12 pmSuch as when I learned that they changed locations of where Mechagodzilla was destroyed between films. Not a difference of a few miles but basically other sides of the country.
The submarine searching for Mechagodzilla is off Okinawa (Kusagari's map showing the location of MG's remains is of Okinawa). Godzilla and Mechagodzilla fought in some unspecified coastal Okinawan location in the previous film, so this is perfectly consistent.

And if anything, not stating that Anguirus (or another monster) is the same or different individual from a previous movie is a lack of exposition, not a violation of continuity.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

There's a change in where MG was destroyed between films?

Angurius doesn't bother me so much because it's directly stated they're an ancient species of dinosaur/monster. It's not as unique as something like Gigan, so it's not a big deal that there's just randomly another one for me.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I believe Toho officially states that the 1968-1974 Angilas is a second version of the creature. A lot of my books label him as the second generation.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh I just thought of the first two things to pop up in my head. Huh I need to look at the Mechagodzilla location then. Now I believe I heard that on the Terror of Mechagodzilla commentary.
Then I think this one more goes into the 'exposition' than the 'continuity' section but the Simeons going from Planet of the Apes apes to mutants from Beneath the Planet of the Apes. Granted we only saw one without a mask and maybe Tsuda had a disease that made all his hair fall out and mutate him.

Ah electricity. Now I want to think of that over the films. First film: hurt him but he kept going. Kong: actually repelled him with a touch but hey it helps built up Kong's electricity powers when he straight up eats the stuff. Mothra: hurt him and might have killed him. Seemed like the tanks were more corralling him.

Which suddenly reminds me of a dumb point an old Stomp Tokyo review brought up for Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster. The reviewer talked about Rodan dropping Godzilla on a power line and says 'now this bothers me about Godzilla movies because is he weak to electricity in this one or not?' And I'm annoyed at the reviewer because the main point of the bit was that just in time the power went out and saved Saino from getting fried.

The writer in me certainly wishes we saw the human race and Xiliens interact again since I always wondered how Glenn's ambassador stint went. 'Hey hey Namikawa had a twin up there right?'
I've derailed I admit.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:43 pm Oh I just thought of the first two things to pop up in my head. Huh I need to look at the Mechagodzilla location then. Now I believe I heard that on the Terror of Mechagodzilla commentary.
That could be, I'm not sure I ever listened to that commentary in full. I know Steve Ryfle wrote that in Japan's Favorite Mon-Star, that the search was off the Bonin Islands, but that's not what the movie shows us. Honda shows us this map of Okinawa:

Resized Image

The Bonin Islands Ryfle mentions are also known as the Ogasawara Islands, where the film says Mafune had originally found Titanosaurus fifteen years earlier. That doesn't mean though that Titanosaurus attacks the sub *at* the Bonin Islands. We also see Katsura, who we later learn lives at Manuzuru (on Honshu), and from the way the scene is cut, it could be interpreted that she's at the scene of the attack. I think the shot of the submarine in her bionic eyes is supposed to show us that she's actually far away, but regardless, the map and accompanying dialogue should trump all else here. I don't think there's any dialogue later that contradicts it, either, and in fact, there's a barely-visible map of Okinawa in the Interpol meeting right after the sub is destroyed.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oops. Well then I totally got to go with the map too then and stand corrected.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Sorry for co-opting your point to clarify that about ToMG, Dave. Carry on. :P
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

No no if I'm wrong I should be corrected. I guess I've been thinking of that example for probably at least a decade.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:43 pm Ah electricity. Now I want to think of that over the films. First film: hurt him but he kept going. Kong: actually repelled him with a touch but hey it helps built up Kong's electricity powers when he straight up eats the stuff. Mothra: hurt him and might have killed him. Seemed like the tanks were more corralling him.

Which suddenly reminds me of a dumb point an old Stomp Tokyo review brought up for Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster. The reviewer talked about Rodan dropping Godzilla on a power line and says 'now this bothers me about Godzilla movies because is he weak to electricity in this one or not?' And I'm annoyed at the reviewer because the main point of the bit was that just in time the power went out and saved Saino from getting fried.

Don't forget about G vs MG where it turns him into an electromagnet. Godzilla's relationship with electricity all depends on the needs of the movie. As a villain, it hurt him, but as a hero, it gives him a power boost.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:43 pmAh electricity. Now I want to think of that over the films. First film: hurt him but he kept going. Kong: actually repelled him with a touch but hey it helps built up Kong's electricity powers when he straight up eats the stuff. Mothra: hurt him and might have killed him. Seemed like the tanks were more corralling him.
In fairness, those are explicitly stated to be different Godzillas, not to mention the higher voltage of the latter attempts (I had to look this up, but the 1954 Godzilla withstood only 50,000 volts, whereas the second Godzilla in 1962 was repelled by One Million volts, and nearly killed by what I'm guessing is the same amount in 1964). But that said, I doubt most viewers, or even crew members, would have realized (or cared about) either of those things back then.