Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Post by eabaker »

Spuro wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:16 pm Ghi-DOOR-ah for life! Everything else is heresy. :P
Tell that to the entire nation of Japan!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

eabaker wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:32 pm
Spuro wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:16 pm Ghi-DOOR-ah for life! Everything else is heresy. :P
Tell that to the entire nation of Japan!
Do you have Japan's number? I'd gladly tell them :lol:

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Theres two things that I hate about “ghi-DOOR-uh”. One, it incorrectly separates the vowels in the Japanese name (“Ghee-do-ra”) in a way that’s not really possible based on the way the language works. And two, it puts the emphasis on that incorrect syllable drawing even more attention to its wrongness rather than emphasizing the first syllable.

It’s as grating as that line from G’98 that everyone hates; “It’s ‘go-JEER-uh” you moron!” (Or however that line goes). No, it’s GO-jee-ra. And it’s GHEE-do-rah. And like eabaker points out, GHEE-drah is a fairly reasonable anglicization of the Japanese.

Alright, I’m off my soapbox. ;)

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Nick Adams says Ghid-Ra in the most original way I ever heard.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

canofhumdingers wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:57 pm It’s as grating as that line from G’98 that everyone hates; “It’s ‘go-JEER-uh” you moron!” (Or however that line goes). No, it’s GO-jee-ra. And it’s GHEE-do-rah. And like eabaker points out, GHEE-drah is a fairly reasonable anglicization of the Japanese.
Eh, it's not really comparable. "Ghidorah," however you choose to pronounce it, is technically an Americanization of "Ghidora." If you were arguing about the pronunciation of Ghidora I'd see your point, but Ghidorah seems comparable to the likes of "Mothra" or "Rodan" to me more than "Gojira."
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Controller: You must be Ghidorah.

KG: Actually, it's pronounced Ghee-drah.

C: But they told me it was Ghidorah.

KG: Well, they were wrong then, weren't they.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:28 pm Controller: You must be Ghidorah.

To be fair, if I'm remembering correctly, the Controller in the MZ dub actually gets even closer to the Japanese pronunciation my retaining the "o," but not stressing it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:24 pm
edgaguirus wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:28 pm Controller: You must be Ghidorah.

To be fair, if I'm remembering correctly, the Controller in the MZ dub actually gets even closer to the Japanese pronunciation my retaining the "o," but not stressing it.
Him and Glenn. They say can King Gid-Ra

Gtthm and MZ are the only times his name is prounced differently in American dubs I belive.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That's why I prefer the subbed version.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Watched this one again recently and liked it better than ever before. It just "clicked" with me; things that used to annoy me no longer did and the pacing was much, much better than I recalled. Both Ghidorah's emergence scene and his aerial attack are awesome, two of my favorite scenes in the whole Showa series. Hardass edgelord me hated the "monster talk" translation but it doesn't bother me anymore. It's funny.

I seem to remember I argued with someone on here that this movie was overrated like two years ago? Yeah, I was wrong. Disregard that. One of my favorite Godzilla movies now, prefer it over the sequel. :KingGhidorah64:
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:51 am Watched this one again recently and liked it better than ever before. It just "clicked" with me; things that used to annoy me no longer did and the pacing was much, much better than I recalled. Both Ghidorah's emergence scene and his aerial attack are awesome, two of my favorite scenes in the whole Showa series. Hardass edgelord me hated the "monster talk" translation but it doesn't bother me anymore. It's funny.

I seem to remember I argued with someone on here that this movie was overrated like two years ago? Yeah, I was wrong. Disregard that. One of my favorite Godzilla movies now, prefer it over the sequel. :KingGhidorah64:
Congratulations, you're one step closer to enlightenment.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Rewatching this one is one of those movies where it’s like being greeted by an old friend.

I think among the strongest aspects is how it characterized Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and even Ghidorah. They had their own motivations, more or less, and the Shobijin being able to convey that as the three hero monsters had their negotiations is a highlight. The assassination angle also allows for some good tense moments. The OST gives enough grandeur to really make the destruction sequences and monster appearances mean something.

It’s definitely a campy entry, though. Not a problem for me, but might be for some. The camp factor really helps lift my enjoyment of the movie with how it deftly swaps from the drama of political assassinations and Ghidorah destroying to scenes like Godzilla and Rodan chucking rocks at one another. It’s a good time!
Last edited by CyberZilla on Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I really like this one as well. Though the plot has several moving parts, they come together and make an entertaining and exciting story. You have a bit of mystery with the meteor and prophetess; The assassins bring intrigue and suspense; And, of course, the kaiju action is fun to watch.

You also can understand why Godzilla and Rodan have no interest in helping mankind. Would you want to save the fire ants that bite and sting you when you step on their nest?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Well said, Cyberzilla & edgaguirus. GttHM was really one of a kind, and incorporated elements into the franchise that would pop up again one way or the other. I'd say this was when we truly got to see more of Eiji Tsuburaya's humor seep into the kaiju themselves. I adore Godzilla & Rodan's motivations, it's simple enough to go a long way, and it happens to coincide nicely with Showa Godzilla's previous actions since he wasn't as outright malicious as '54. The scene where the assassins are chasing after the Shobijin in the apartment is a fav of mine along with the Princess's speech about Ghidorah in the operating room.

It's neat that King Ghidorah's first appearance happened to be in the Year of the Dragon :P
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

TIL that Ghidorah, when first released was presented on a double bill with Elvis’s worst film, ‘Harum Scarum’.
For Emperor and Empire!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I would never have pictured Ghidorah paired with Elvis.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Even after all these years still kinda wish Sado ended up beating or killing Malmess.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Not sure if this has been posted here before, but here are some very cool stills from a rare press booklet using the title "Monster of Monsters, Ghidorah":

Credit goes to H-Man, who posted it back in 2019 from the now pretty much defunct/broken MonsterZero message board (RIP :cry: ).

The synopsis in the press release is quite an interesting read (referring to the Kingdom of Selgina as "Sergia", keeping the Venus origins for KG, claiming KG also destroys New York, Moscow, London, and Paris). A nice little snippet of history for what is, imho, one of the best films of the entire G series.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Who hasn't noticed that the shot where Ghidorah knocks down the Tokyo tower while flying through Tokyo was replicated in 1995 with Gamera : Guardian of the Universe?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:47 am :

claiming KG also destroys New York, Moscow, London, and Paris)
Destroy all Ghidorahs.