Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994)

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:So... why exactly does Spacegodzilla trap Little Godzilla? Is he gonna eat him later or something? Is he just doing it to be evil?
A plot device to keep him out of the movie.
I mean, if Little Godzilla had been in that final fight, Spacegodzilla would have been taken out in about 2 minutes.
Would have been defeated by cuteness.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
A plot device to keep him out of the movie.
I mean, if Little Godzilla had been in that final fight, Spacegodzilla would have been taken out in about 2 minutes.
Would have been defeated by cuteness.
Nah guys, smoke ring to the neck.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Why trap the young Godzilla? Because he doesn't like chibis.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla

Post by Rhedosaurus »

CheetoKamper wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:Godzilla vs Space Godzilla's biggest failing is that by this time in the series it's easy to tell that nobody making it really cared. At this point the Godzilla movies had become huge money-makers despite whatever failings they had and the feeling that this film was put on auto pilot is incredibly hard to escape. The movie just goes through the motions, following the same basic patterns of the films that preceded it. But while the other films at least has returning classic monsters, decent monster designs and superb Ifukube scores, the cartoony appearance of the new monsters (especially Space Godzilla and Little Godzilla) and the completely out of place (though enjoyable on it's own) score stick out like a sore thumb. On top of that, the movie suffers from horrible editing, stock footage (why?), a romantic plot featuring a human character that has been in 4 previous films but has had zero development and an awful ADD approach to screenwriting. It's all the little things wrong with the Heisei series times twenty.

While people may constantly complain that Godzilla's Revenge and Godzilla vs Megalon are awful films, at least there's a sincerity in their supposed awfulness. Honda definitely had a decent message to convey with Revenge and is still a fun film overall. All Megalon wants to be is a live action giant hero movie co-starring Godzilla. For all the money and time put into Space Godzilla there's no excuse for how it turned out. But that's what happens when you put something on cruise control, expecting it to automatically keep making you money.
Yeah the plot was just rediculous.. let's control Godzilla....Kill Godzilla....Godzilla killed my brother or friend or whatever he was the movie was just nuts. I do like the battle music however I almost wish they used it in the previous film. But at anyrate I think autopilot is the best way to describe this moie.
shark wrote:I was so bored watching this movie my mind wandered elsewhere, and when I finally realized I was still watching the fight between Moguera and SpaceGodzilla had begun. I didn't even care at this point and stopped watching.
For me it's all of this. I saw Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla only 3 times and I dozed off each and every time I saw it. The last time I saw it was 6 years ago and I nodded off 3 times. I never saw it since then and I have no intention to ever see it again. Everything about this movie is boring and dull, two thing a Godzilla movie should NEVER be. I can't think of one good thing this movie did right. Not a single thing.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

"WE'RE NOT HERE AS YOUR PUPPETS GODDAMMIT" is worth everything else, though. That line is more hysterical every time I hear it.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I've been meaning to post this for a while, as a sort of curiosity...

for an audio drama several years back, I borrowed SpaceGodzilla's theme as a theme for a recurring villain; as such, my brother in law composed a series of riffs on the SpcaeGodzilla theme in various moods (from intimidating to action to humorous) for use in the piece. I collected all 7 into a single MP3 file here, if anyone's curious:
http://www.nolinecinemas.com/SGvariations.mp3

(For my money, the best one is the one that comes around the 1-minute mark)
Last edited by Zarm on Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

While this film has it moments...

this is in my opinion the weakest of the Heisei series
& SpaceGodzilla may be the lamest ever kaiju in the
entire franchise.

I still don't understand what the fandom see's in him.

He's a blue clone with stupid shoulder pads & way too
many "special powers"

:facepalm:
Last edited by Grievous on Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I happen to like the stupid shoulder pads, thank you very much. No, it's the random hole in his stomach that bothers me...

I feel like there's definitely a great concept at work in Spacegodzilla, but his movie dropped the execution ball in every way. I'd love to see him brought back with a significantly more crystalized design. Make him like a full-on crystal cyborg thing, and improve his ability to control and weaponize his crystals. He has the potential to be genuinely cool.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

JAGzilla wrote:I happen to like the stupid shoulder pads, thank you very much. No, it's the random hole in his stomach that bothers me...

I feel like there's definitely a great concept at work in Spacegodzilla, but his movie dropped the execution ball in every way. I'd love to see him brought back with a significantly more crystalized design. Make him like a full-on crystal cyborg thing, and improve his ability to control and weaponize his crystals. He has the potential to be genuinely cool.
Yup, 100%. I really think the Anime series had the potential to make him the main villain and execute the concept much better, but alas.

Seeing a fully realized Spacegodilla, utilizing his telepathy and crystals better, would be a dream come true.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

JAGzilla wrote:I happen to like the stupid shoulder pads, thank you very much.
Okay...
JAGzilla wrote:No, it's the random hole in his stomach that bothers me...
Fair call...
JAGzilla wrote:I feel like there's definitely a great concept at work in Spacegodzilla, but his movie dropped the execution ball in every way. I'd love to see him brought back with a significantly more crystalized design. Make him like a full-on crystal cyborg thing, and improve his ability to control and weaponize his crystals. He has the potential to be genuinely cool.
An actual "Alien Crystal" version of Godzilla would be awesome...

Like a meteor hits the Earth & Godzilla is drawn to it...he gets
too close as the meteor explodes & a piece of crystal is lodged
in his body...it absorbs a little genetic material before Godzilla
rips it out & discards only for the crystal to eventually grow into
a complete crystal duplicate.

That would have worked.
Last edited by Grievous on Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

You all need to read the Manga adaptation.

Straight up SpaceG can accelerate the growth of crystals to insane levels and create a massive spire from a shard. Which, was used on Godzilla. His breath can also terraform the targeted area rapidly and even crystal over Little Godzilla. Manga SpaceG really fights more on using his crystal synthesis abilities more then his Corona Beam, which is depicted differently as well. From the narrow lighting bolt, to a massive giga-death blast in the manga. Only used once, but I can't Japanese so I guess there's a reason to that. I believe he also reincarnates from his crystal field as well - again, can't read moon runes but that's what it appears.

I do like SpaceGodzilla as a creature but a few things of his kinda did fall on the flat end - sorta like the movie. Pretty sure a few recuts here and there and creative redubbing can better the film.

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheInfiniteAeon »

Do you think that it's a flaw that SpaceGodzilla is such a blatant clone of Godzilla? At least in comparison to other monsters with Godzilla's DNA. Like, I can take Biollante and Orga into a new story and I don't have to put in any story beats about them having Godzilla's DNA but if I get SpaceGodzilla it's like "well either I have to have him be a clone of Godzilla or it'll be this massive coincidence that he looks like Godzilla", cause that's kinda what Rulers of Earth did where they call him SpaceGodzilla where he just exists and they give him that name for no other reason than why not. Or is everybody okay with the massive coincidence option because it's like "space aliens that look very much like humans" that the franchise is familiar with? Or I don't know, maybe they should just merge him with Krystalak for future appearances, that character is a nobody anyways and SpaceG isn't even that familiar to a general audience.
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

TheInfiniteAeon wrote:Do you think that it's a flaw that SpaceGodzilla is such a blatant clone of Godzilla? At least in comparison to other monsters with Godzilla's DNA. Like, I can take Biollante and Orga into a new story and I don't have to put in any story beats about them having Godzilla's DNA but if I get SpaceGodzilla it's like "well either I have to have him be a clone of Godzilla or it'll be this massive coincidence that he looks like Godzilla", cause that's kinda what Rulers of Earth did where they call him SpaceGodzilla where he just exists and they give him that name for no other reason than why not. Or is everybody okay with the massive coincidence option because it's like "space aliens that look very much like humans" that the franchise is familiar with? Or I don't know, maybe they should just merge him with Krystalak for future appearances, that character is a nobody anyways and SpaceG isn't even that familiar to a general audience.
I've always liked the idea of the "living crystal" crashing to Earth & finding/taking a small sample
of Godzilla (or Junior/Minya) but instead of growing into a flesh based clone with crystal features...
it just grows into a "Crystal Version" of Godzilla that levitates & has crazy alien powers.

Something like this...but entirely made of crystals.

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

I think my problem is just that he's trapped with the name SpaceGodzilla
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

TheInfiniteAeon wrote:I think my problem is just that he's trapped with the name SpaceGodzilla
Yeah...it sounds corny as hell...

Like a kaiju from a 70's film...that somehow showed up in the 90's.

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Not just that- I think the name comes with some exacting expectations about the character- that he's from space, he has some relation to Godzilla, and if we see any form of space crystals in a Godzilla story we can't help but think back to him. This isn't a problem I have with Mechagodzilla, probably because Mechagodzilla has sufficient wiggle room for reinterpretation in multiple stories by virtue of being a machine; we have Mechagodzillas that are built by aliens and humans and their designs and arsenals are different from one another. Even King Ghidorah isn't pinned down by his own name on reinterpretations. We've had him as a space dragon, an irradiated beastie from the future, a Japanese guardian deity and now an Outer God. But with SpaceGodzilla, it's too precise in my opinion. When I read that name it kinda locks the character into a hole that's more cramped than those other two.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

TheInfiniteAeon wrote:Not just that- I think the name comes with some exacting expectations about the character- that he's from space, he has some relation to Godzilla, and if we see any form of space crystals in a Godzilla story we can't help but think back to him. This isn't a problem I have with Mechagodzilla, probably because Mechagodzilla has sufficient wiggle room for reinterpretation in multiple stories by virtue of being a machine; we have Mechagodzillas that are built by aliens and humans and their designs and arsenals are different from one another. Even King Ghidorah isn't pinned down by his own name on reinterpretations. We've had him as a space dragon, an irradiated beastie from the future, a Japanese guardian deity and now an Outer God. But with SpaceGodzilla, it's too precise in my opinion. When I read that name it kinda locks the character into a hole that's more cramped than those other two.
That's a good point....but then...I don't like the character...so
I'd be happy if he never appeared again or was given a second
thought by the fandom.

:shrug:
Last edited by Grievous on Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Welp, time to incur the wrath of the entire fanbase...

So... yeah, ummm...

This is my 5th favorite film in the entire franchise...

"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:Welp, time to incur the wrath of the entire fanbase...

So... yeah, ummm...

This is my 5th favorite film in the entire franchise...
Not the entire fanbase. I will stand with you! (Okay, maybe not 5th, but... definitely in the upper percentile, and ranked above many, many films that the masses would consider it madness to rank vs. SpaceGodzilla above).

If anything, this is my childhood nostalgia film. But I also really love its aesthetics, and its characters are pretty great by Heisei-series standards. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I’m curious why this one constantly ranks at the bottom of the series for others. I watched it today and it’s...really not that bad?

Bad effects? Well no, not really. The so-called “styrofoam asteroids” don’t even look like styrofoam and when you’re focused on the actions of SpaceG and Mogera, you don’t really pay attention to them. The rest of the film features pretty standard Heisei-era effects, nothing I can particularly call out as bad.

Bad characters? Again, not really. This might be the best movie for Miki Saegusa as she actually feels like a protagonist in this one (until Act 3) and the others are pretty alright as well. Yuki’s the standout, he’s got a solid arc (wonder how many people will get mad at that word being used) throughout the film and Akira Emoto does a good job in the role. Koji, though not the most interesting, is still not too bad to watch. Same goes for Kiyoshi, Chinatsu, and even the members of the UNGCC.

Bad story? Aside from the random Yakuza plot that I’ll agree has no relevance to the rest of the film, I don’t see what’s so bad. SpaceGodzilla’s origins might be a bit convoluted but he’s at least a monster with some personality and an interesting goal that we haven’t really seen from other space monsters before (colonizing the planet). I also really like the continuation of the psychic link between Miki and Godzilla and the subtle hints towards Godzilla's fate in the next movie.

Bad music? Well, not only do I disagree but I don’t think that’s really something to hate an entire movie over.

So yeah, chalk me down as one of the new fans of this one. I think it’s pretty fun.