Which Unmade Heisei film would've you liked to see?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Re: Which Unmade Heisei film would've you liked to see?

Post by Chrispy_G »

Wasn't one of the concepts for Godzilla vs King Ghidorah going to keep his alien origin and have his body be found on another planet?

I would have been happy if they went with any film and any iteration of it OTHER than the time travel plot we got. Time travel plots almost always make things wonky. Regardless of potential paradoxes, consistency with how the film treats the concept and the 'rules' it lays down, it tends to make everything a little too complicated for the sake of a fun novelty. You have to start laying down timelines and tracking what happened where and if it all doesn't line up and make perfect sense it just sucks some of the entertainment value out of everything.

And to me the worst and cheapest cop out in regards to time travel is the friggin "it's too complicated don't think about it" and when films like Looper and Endgame are ACTIVELY having the characters themselves say things like "look don't think about it too much" it just makes the entire film feel stupid.

Godzilla's origin could have easily been shown as a flashback instead of as a time travel sequence. Hell, it probably would have been BETTER done that way.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^What if a visionary director with a great passion for time travel decided to work on a Godzilla film? The main problem with GvKG was the time-travel plot was tacked on at the last minute as a means to capitalize on films like The Terminator and Back to the Future. They brought it in because they felt they could, without thinking of any ramifications, i.e whether or not they could have a sensical plot.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:29 pm ^What if a visionary director with a great passion for time travel decided to work on a Godzilla film? The main problem with GvKG was the time-travel plot was tacked on at the last minute as a means to capitalize on films like The Terminator and Back to the Future. They brought it in because they felt they could, without thinking of any ramifications, i.e whether or not they could have a sensical plot.
How do you know the time travel was tacked on due to T2 and Back to the Future?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:37 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:29 pm ^What if a visionary director with a great passion for time travel decided to work on a Godzilla film? The main problem with GvKG was the time-travel plot was tacked on at the last minute as a means to capitalize on films like The Terminator and Back to the Future. They brought it in because they felt they could, without thinking of any ramifications, i.e whether or not they could have a sensical plot.
How do you know the time travel was tacked on due to T2 and Back to the Future?
Back to The Future Part 2 beat GVB at Japan's local box office. Toho saw what happened and decided to amp up their game by mimicking the competition.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:28 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:37 pm How do you know the time travel was tacked on due to T2 and Back to the Future?
Back to The Future Part 2 beat GVB at Japan's local box office. Toho saw what happened and decided to amp up their game by mimicking the competition.
https://vantagepointinterviews.com/2019 ... eneration/
Bret Hommenick: What about Back to the Future Part II? Did that have any influence on the time travel?

Kazuki Omori: The idea of coming back from the future was taken from The Terminator.
The BTTF connection was from Tanaka, who saw a much longer queue at the theater for BTTF than for Biollante.
This interview is really interesting, it sheds some light on the last few years of Tanaka's tenure and his thought process in reinventing Godzilla for the Heisei series. Granted, that's through Omori's filter, but interesting nonetheless.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

None. Because in the end it would gave turned out like any other Heisei films, regardless of how interesting the concepts and monster ideas were.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:47 am None. Because in the end it would gave turned out like any other Heisei films, regardless of how interesting the concepts and monster ideas were.
Much as I love some of the ideas they came up with, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Chances are high they would've sucked as much if not more ass than the rest of the Heisei era. Because no matter how you look at it, it was always gonne be helmed by the same writers with the same quality.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Mothra vs Bagan, Koichi Kawakita's take on Submersion Of Japan

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

While I wouldn't necessarily say I would've wanted to see this as the finale of the Heisei era, I will admit that I am at least intrigued by the Godzilla vs Godzilla proposal where Junior goes back in time and fights Shodai, and where the writers could've gone with it.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Unmade G films are a fascinating topic for me....while it's something I'm greatly interested in, I can honestly say that other than one or two stories/projects/concepts (Godzilla vs the Space Monsters Earth Defense Directive or S.O.S. Tokyo! Godzilla's Suicide Strategy, both from the SHOWA era), there are not too many unmade G films from either the SHOWA or HEISEI series that I'm really fretting over not getting or never seeing the light of day (especially the Heisei series, as none of the unmade concepts, while somewhat interesting, really impressed me or made me think "man, I wish this would have been made!"). I'm fine for the most part with the films we eventually got for the SHOWA and HEISEI eras (well, maybe except GvsSG :Spacegodzilla: :lol: ), warts and all.
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Thu May 04, 2023 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Showa Tokyo SOS would have been nuts. Very late 70s Toho exploitationy feel. Godzilla going blind swordsman against Gigan and the new monster would have made for a movie fitting for the period.

Going back, God's Angry Messenger: God's Godzilla is a movie in my head is within the Showa period because it was planned as such, but its also part of the lineage that ended up becoming The Return Of Godzilla, another Showa era movie, that was the starting point for the Heisei movies. Hearing the concept, and after watching movies like Prophecies Of Nostradamus and Toho's other disaster movies of the decade, its one of the movies I wish was made. Or perhaps I could just somehow peek into an alternate timeline where it was made. Just reading the synopsis and my appreciation for Prophecies Of Nostradamus, have that unmade movie in my head a lot.

I said it in another thread, but also The Resurrection Of Godzilla from 1980 is another movie I would have liked to see.

There's elements within the Heisei movies themselves I wish they did instead, for example Combiner Mechagodzilla.

And I already said earlier this thread, Koichi Kawakita's take on Submersion Of Japan. I'm sure there were WWII movies planned during this period that didn't get made. I'd have loved to see Kawakita do those again.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Thu May 04, 2023 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

StardustGenius wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:52 am Showa Tokyo SOS would have been nuts. Very late 70s Toho exploitationy feel. Godzilla going blind swordsman against Gigan and the new monster would have made for a movie fitting for the period.
Which one was Showa Tokyo SOS?

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:00 pm
StardustGenius wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:52 am Showa Tokyo SOS would have been nuts. Very late 70s Toho exploitationy feel. Godzilla going blind swordsman against Gigan and the new monster would have made for a movie fitting for the period.
Tokyo SOS: Godzilla's Suicide Strategy was the planned follow up to Terror Of Mechagodzilla. The aliens in this movie plan to blackmail Japan, by starving the country and forcing concesions on the government, while setting up Godzilla. The aliens use a new chameleon robot that can cloak and Gigan to provide the brute force for their plans. Godzilla trying to stop the invisible robot is how they frame him. The JSDF use a new chemical weapon on Godzilla and blind him. For the final battle he has to rely on his other senses (like Zatoichi The Blind Swordsman, hense the movie's title!) to beat the monsters and stop the aliens. Godzilla wins and saves the day.

The plot of the aliens, and the intensity of the story, and the violence inflicted to Godzilla is very much in line with late 70s exploitationy, grindhouse style Japanese genre movies.

This can be found in John LeMay's book about Lost and Unmade kaiju movies.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Thu May 04, 2023 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

StardustGenius wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:11 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:00 pm
Tokyo SOS: Godzilla's Suicide Strategy was the planned follow up to Terror Of Mechagodzilla. The aliens in this movie plan to blackmail Japan, by starving the country and forcing concesions on the government, while setting up Godzilla. The aliens use a new chameleon robot that can cloak and Gigan to provide the brute force for their plans. Godzilla trying to stop the invisible robot is how they frame him. The JSDF use a new chemical weapon on Godzilla and blind him. For the final battle he has to rely on his other senses (like Zatoichi The Blind Swordsman, hense the movie's title!) to beat the monsters and stop the aliens. Godzilla wins and saves the day.

The plot of the aliens, and the intensity of the story, and the violence inflicted to Godzilla is very much in line with late 70s exploitationy, grindhouse style Japanese genre movies.

This can be found in John LeMay's book about Lost and Unmade kaiju movies.
That almost sounds like a certain Godzilla: The Series episode, but with an even crazier plot! You weren't kidding when you said this movie would've been nuts.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Would love to have seen the Ghost Godzilla movie. Ever since I was a kid, I’ve been fascinated by the idea of Godzilla fighting a phantom foe. Got a little bit close with Kiryu, but a full fledged ghost monster would be awesome! Maybe in a future movie…

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I have not one but three arguments as to why getting the version Heisei GvK could've been for the better in the long run.

1. We could've gotten a Heisei film that relied primarily on physical kaiju action.
2. If we got this in the place of GVKG, we would've been spared of the whole controversial time-travel plotline.
3. It could've become just as successful as its Showa counterpart, leading to numerous benefits, such as affording Toho larger budgets for their following films and an earlier release for them stateside instead of having to wait until after '98.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun May 28, 2023 7:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

the second version of Godzilla vs Baraburoi sounds like it would have been cool to see.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image