The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by eabaker »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:36 pm Also, I recently watched Akira Kurosawa's 1990 film Dreams. Very interesting, yet beautifully made film with lots of moments that make me go "wow, that's nice" to "wow, that's sad". "The Tunnel" is my favorite story of the film.
I don't know how much you know about the Kurosawa/Ishiro Honda relationship, so forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know, but "The Tunnel" was a story Honda had wanted to tell for decades. It's hard to gauge exactly how much creative control Honda had in those later "unofficially co-directed" films, but I've always strongly suspected that "The Tunnel" at least is more Honda than Kurosawa.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

eabaker wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:02 am
CrimsonBloodX wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:36 pm Also, I recently watched Akira Kurosawa's 1990 film Dreams. Very interesting, yet beautifully made film with lots of moments that make me go "wow, that's nice" to "wow, that's sad". "The Tunnel" is my favorite story of the film.
I don't know how much you know about the Kurosawa/Ishiro Honda relationship, so forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know, but "The Tunnel" was a story Honda had wanted to tell for decades. It's hard to gauge exactly how much creative control Honda had in those later "unofficially co-directed" films, but I've always strongly suspected that "The Tunnel" at least is more Honda than Kurosawa.
I've known for a long time about Ishiro Honda's friendship with Akira Kurosawa and Ishiro working on the production of Kurosawa's last five films, but that is quite an interesting fact.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Hey guys I last watched the 1977 William Friedkin movie Sorcerer.

Now i'm a big fan of Roy Scheider from Jaws and William Friedkin from The Exorcist. So i'm already off with a great hook to get me to watch this movie.

But what a great movie Sorcerer is. Four men on the run from their criminal past living in South America take up a job to drive trucks loaded with explosives and take the trucks across the hostile jungle. Probably the best directed set pieces i've seen in a thriller. The bridge scene is a standout, but they aren't alone as many of the other scenes are tense as well. It has a fantastic synth score. The movie is pretty grim as well, it shares that Heart of Darkness feel with Apocalypse Now.
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum2 on Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

So I finally watched Rob Zombie's Halloween today.
I like to keep an open mind, especially with franchises that need to get whacky to stay alive. Rob wrote and directed, which I respect.

What a terrible movie. I've never been so bored with a horror/slasher. It's like a 5 year old saw the original and was like "HMM THIS NEEDED TO BE MORE HARDCORE"
Every character except Loomis, Danny Trejo and whoever Brad Dourif played were just AWFUL. And boy, two hours has NEVER felt more like 12. I guess the only thing I liked was Loomis, Malcolm McDowell seemed like he knew what kinda movie he was in and was just having fun. There were some interesting nuggets that would have been better served in an original film imo.
Most of the Halloween movies really do just suck I guess. But this one was a special kinda suck. For all the people talking smack about Halloween Ends, go back and watch Rob Zombie's Halloween, then tell me what a bad Halloween movie looks like.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Rob Zombie is consistently the most 50/50 person on the planet. About half of the stuff hes worked on is amazing. The other half is really bad.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Hey guys just me here once again.

I last watched the movie The Monster Squad.

Probably the perfect choice of movie for Halloween night. Let's face it though, the Gillman suit in this movie is by far the best one apart from the original to appear on screen. The Shape of Water doesn't count, well it kind of counts if your considering Gillman to be a canon monster like Dracula and Frankenstein. But the suit in The Monster Squad is better anyway.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Last night I watched 'Willow' for the first time on Disney+. I considered it just ok overall with the main highpoint for me being the Eborsisk a.k.a. one of the most uniquely designed movie dragons ever.
Last edited by Leviarex on Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:04 am Hey guys just me here once again.

I last watched the movie The Monster Squad.

Probably the perfect choice of movie for Halloween night. Let's face it though, the Gillman suit in this movie is by far the best one apart from the original to appear on screen. The Shape of Water doesn't count, well it kind of counts if your considering Gillman to be a canon monster like Dracula and Frankenstein. But the suit in The Monster Squad is better anyway.
Have you ever watched the old Saturday morning live action TV series Monster Squad? It's on DVD in a complete-series release.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

It's a completely unrelated show with a similar name. But as a camp show starring classic monsters it does appeal.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The first episode of Friends. Apart from Full House and Malcolm in the Middle I have virtually no experience with sitcoms. They've never really been my thing. But I randomly felt like watching one today, this one is so damn ubiquitous and seems so highly regarded, I figured I'd give it a shot. It's actually very funny, and has this 'instantly iconic' kind of feel to it. I'll probably keep going.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Enola Holmes 2.

It was good, but not one I’d rewatch. Henry Cavill has a much larger role in this one than the last, which I was happy about. His performance as Sherlock is pretty good.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Just watched Wakanda Forever. I liked it, definitely one of the better post-Endgame MCU films.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:23 pm Just watched Wakanda Forever. I liked it, definitely one of the better MCU films.
I likewise just watched, and however I’d rank it among the middle-class films.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I meant to say post-Endgame.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Working on episode five of Friends now. Of all the things I never, ever expected to see on TV, it's the Clay House Brontosaurus bank I've had since I was five. Ross has the same one in his room! That makes my whole week. :lol:
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I saw a movie called Undead (I believe?) the other night. Looked like a boiler plate zombie movie but it gets more interesting. I'll spoiler tag below.
Spoiler:
So these kids get stuck on a high school field trip for extra credit, and then zombies appear. By the end of the movie you find out that two of the kids on the bus planned the whole thing with a bath salts like concoction so that they could get revenge on the jocks and make themselves out to be heroes. It was pretty good commentary on "nice guys" and subversive of the way social cliques are presented in films.
I've seen a lot of crappy Blumhouse stuff but this movie was surprisingly good, and had a fantastic cast, some of whom I definitely hope go on to do big things.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

I saw Gareth Edwards’s Monsters (2010) last night. I had not expected to see so many similarities to Godzilla (2014) despite not writing the latter.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Me and my dad finished the first season of Tokyo Vice on HBOmax. Pretty good show. A little slow moving perhaps but interesting enough to keep you watching. All around well acted with great supporting roles for Ken Watanabe and Rinko Kikuchi. Funny enough I looked up several of the Japanese actors and noticed that at least half the guys I checked were in Kamen Rider at one point or another. Looking forward to season 2.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Im continuing to catch up on The Walking Dead and just finished season 10, the second to last. What I have discovered is that the Whisperer Ark is my absolute favorite, and Im actually feeling pretty sad about watching the last season and not having the Whisperers as the main villains. They just felt like these were the finale, the big villains of the series as a whole.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Finally watched NOPE. It was good but not quite what I expected. There really wasn't a whole lot to it to be honest. Interesting take on the UFO concept though. A lot like A Quiet Place, a strong well acted and directed creature feature but not sure if I'd watch it again.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983