Best And Worst Official Kaiju Redesigns

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Best And Worse Official Kaiju Redesigns

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

goji89 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:59 pm
Gigantis wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:53 pm
goji89 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:44 pm She would have gotten stomped, you basically want to see Mothra get her ass handed to her.

I initiate Bagan War
TBF, at least the script called for Mothra's babies to skreoonk Bagan over with their holy webbing and then she would've kamikazied herself to drown the both of them. :P
So Godzilla v Mothra again......?

Yawn.
Technically, Godzilla vs Mothra would've been Mothra vs Bagan again since the latter was slated for 1990.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Best And Worst Official Kaiju Redesigns

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

goji89 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:44 pm She would have gotten stomped, you basically want to see Mothra get her ass handed to her.

I initiate Bagan War
What exactly are the rules of Bagan War? Does it fall under the Geneva Convention?
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

goji89 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:59 pm
Gigantis wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:53 pm

I initiate Bagan War
TBF, at least the script called for Mothra's babies to skreoonk Bagan over with their holy webbing and then she would've kamikazied herself to drown the both of them. :P
So Godzilla v Mothra again......?

Yawn.
IDK man Bagan had a far more dignified defeat in that script than Godzilla got in the original film.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Wait, does this count? Eh, screw it...

Ultraman the Next. It's not actually Ultraman but in the context of that film, it is so I'm counting it as a redesign. Personally, I'm not a huge fan. The concept of Ultraman having biological armor is fine but I feel they went a bit too far with it. I especially don't like what they did to his head shape. I will admit the elbow blades and Color Timer expy look cool, though.
And that was just Junis. Don't even get me started on Anphans.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:01 pm Two perfect redesigns of Anguirus.
I agree 1000%. I hope we see the GMK Anguirus design in a future film.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:43 am Wait, does this count? Eh, screw it...

Ultraman the Next. It's not actually Ultraman but in the context of that film, it is so I'm counting it as a redesign. Personally, I'm not a huge fan. The concept of Ultraman having biological armor is fine but I feel they went a bit too far with it. I especially don't like what they did to his head shape. I will admit the elbow blades and Color Timer expy look cool, though.
And that was just Junis. Don't even get me started on Anphans.
Ooh, I love Next and Nexus' designs within the context of their world.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

godjacob wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:07 pm
goji89 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:59 pm So Godzilla v Mothra again......?

Yawn.
IDK man Bagan had a far more dignified defeat in that script than Godzilla got in the original film.
I dunno, Bagan gets carried off kicking and screaming by Mothra after being doused by her poison scales, then gets wrapped up by Mothra Larva's webbing (as is the norm with the Larva fights). At least he got a chance to punt Mothra Larva like a football.

Still, agreed with a previous post or 2, Mothra's design from Mothra vs. Bagan has an elegant look to it, and the flexibility of her wings would've been a sight to see. She still looks great as fluffy as she is in GvsM1992, but not a fan of those weird chicken legs.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

GigaBowserG wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:41 pm
godjacob wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:07 pm
goji89 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:59 pm So Godzilla v Mothra again......?

Yawn.
I dunno, Bagan gets carried off kicking and screaming by Mothra after being doused by her poison scales, then gets wrapped up by Mothra Larva's webbing (as is the norm with the Larva fights). At least he got a chance to punt Mothra Larva like a football.

Still, agreed with a previous post or 2, Mothra's design from Mothra vs. Bagan has an elegant look to it, and the flexibility of her wings would've been a sight to see. She still looks great as fluffy as she is in GvsM1992, but not a fan of those weird chicken legs.
Least Bagan was beaten by mother and child Mothra, with the mother having to give her life to help finish the job. Godzilla just got wrapped and bagged by two babies.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Best MechaGodzilla design: Monsterverse
MechaGodzilla Image
I love the fact that he looks menacing with the red lights just makes him Look more evil. Even though he’s in for about five minutes he absolutely blasted out of the water.

Worst MechaGodzilla design: Planet of The Monsters Trilogy Mechagodzilla city
Image Mechagodzilla city is one of the worst offenders for being one of the worst redesign in history. It is so unrecognizable to the point where it is just a silver city that’s all. It doesn’t provide anything interesting sting from a Visual point of view it’s just boring and the city. This is supposed to be Mechagodzilla. And what’s worse they provided A much better Redesign
Even though it’s not the most visually appealing specially the face, I could’ve easily forgiven this design if It show it potential with cool action scenes. But like any other potential in this Trilogy quickly got crushed with unimaginative boring slob.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Best redesign for MG is the subtle changes for MG75. It looks like an improved, more sleek version of 74.
Last edited by Voyager on Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I feel the GMK Baragon was a great redesign. Red Baragon's face was more expressive, and the kaiju seemed more muscular.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

Voyager wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:31 pm Best redesign for MG is the subtle changes for MG75. It looks like an improved, more sleek version of 74.
Completely agree. The darker, less shiny metal skin, as well as the other subtle differences honestly look a lot better. More menacing and dynamic in my opinion, if that makes any sense
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Voyager wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:31 pm Best redesign for MG is the subtle changes for MG75. It looks like an improved, more sleek version of 74.
Absolutely agreed. Funnily enough for a long time I actually had no idea the suit was tweaked for TOMG but even back then I always felt like he looked sleeker, meaner and overall more imposing in that film. I feel like the cinematography also has a part in this, especially with the overall darker atmosphere and the emphasis on fire in the background.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Gonna have to disagree here. While I do like how everything was made pointier, the slimmed down look ruins it for me. It looks really wonky in some shots, and it's especially noticable in the neck and makes his head look too big.

The suit also looks to be in worse condition, with it visibly crumpled and crinkled in the calves, thighs and wrists. The duller, darker look doesn't look as impressive as the shiny chrome of the original.

MG2 is an example of a downgrade from the original in my opinion, and I will never understand it's appeal aside from a slightly more aggressive look that the original already had.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Breakdown wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:54 pm and I will never understand it's appeal aside from a slightly more aggressive look that the original already had.
I think it’s that MG74 looks quite stocky and pudgy, and that people prefer a more slim Mech. Also, the darker coloration definitely helps.
For Emperor and Empire!

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Voyager wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:59 pm
Breakdown wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:54 pm and I will never understand it's appeal aside from a slightly more aggressive look that the original already had.
I think it’s that MG74 looks quite stocky and pudgy, and that people prefer a more slim Mech. Also, the darker coloration definitely helps.
That's kind of the appeal for me, honestly. It's got the bulky retro-robot look to it that I really like. The darker colors on the 75 suit combined with what appears to be deterioration of the suit makes it look lower quality IMO. To each their own I supose.
Last edited by Breakdown on Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I never really noticed any difference between the two but now that I look closer, I'll have to say I prefer MG2.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

If I had to choose I like MG2 because of the larger finger guns and more angular chest, but the two are so similar that MG2 barely counts as a redesign.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

SP Kumonga. Don't like it. It shares basically nothing in common with Kumonga except for the stripes. Thing doesn't even look that much like a spider. I would've much preferred if they made it a new monster like how its nestmates are.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:11 pm SP Kumonga. Don't like it. It shares basically nothing in common with Kumonga except for the stripes. Thing doesn't even look that much like a spider. I would've much preferred if they made it a new monster like how its nestmates are.
I'm still somewhat convinced it's a (terrible) Megalon design that was rebranded as Kumonga at the last minute.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.