Mezco Godzilla Toys

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Re: Mezco Godzilla Toys

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

No contradiction at all. Same thing I’ve been saying from the first post. They’re not in the “wrong” section as I said lots of different price items in that section of varying qualities. Consumers can differentiate between higher end figures and cheaper items. I’ve noticed a lot of Targets have the Playmates figures in multiple sections. Same deal with the Super7 ReAction as of late too.

And two local Targets now have all the “collector” figures also in the “toy” section while also still having the same items also in the collector area. Seems to be nothing set in stone in that regard.

Anyway my Mezco exclusives have shipped. I kinda forgot about these but I’m interested in how the translucency works. I’m still baffled that the blue Godzilla didn’t show up more on the secondary market. Mezco must have made a tiny quantity.

Gojirasaur
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirasaur »

InfiniteHollywood wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:13 pmThey’re not in the “wrong” section as I said lots of different price items in that section of varying qualities. Consumers can differentiate between higher end figures and cheaper items. I’ve noticed a lot of Targets have the Playmates figures in multiple sections. Same deal with the Super7 ReAction as of late too.

And two local Targets now have all the “collector” figures also in the “toy” section while also still having the same items also in the collector area. Seems to be nothing set in stone in that regard.
Despite us both now agreeing we see Playmates alongside NECA/SHMA etc., when Playmates sit alongside SHMA or NECA, one or the other actually are in the wrong section. You can see this for yourself by shelf tags.

This is what I was referring to before when I spoke of employees not following planograms for the particular store. Planograms specifically set collectibles and toy sections separate from each other, so never the twain of Playmates and Bandai should meet...yet they do. I've been told this is due to mixed interpretation of their "flex" policy (spreading out stock outside the specified space so empty shelves always looked stocked) to the collectibles section when they are meant to be restricted to the one section. It's a promise to manufacturers that Target just doesn't end up keeping.
InfiniteHollywood wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:13 pmAnyway my Mezco exclusives have shipped. I kinda forgot about these but I’m interested in how the translucency works. I’m still baffled that the blue Godzilla didn’t show up more on the secondary market. Mezco must have made a tiny quantity.
I'm on the fence on the green/gold G+Ghidorah set. I'd like to see more images, myself.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

For what it’s worth I received my Mezco set last night. I haven’t had time to take photos. It’s fine. No accessories and devoid of paint entirely. Feels a bit light for the price but I will fiddle around with it more later.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

NEVERMIND IM STUPID CARRY ON
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Are there any comparison pics between these figures and Ultra Kaiju 500 scale? I think there's potential for interesting displays if they are of similar scale. The sculpting on the Ultra 500s can be pretty decent, and I paint figures to make those details pop.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Here's a shot I took a few months back (on page 20) comparing Baragon to the 500 Neronga:

Keep in mind the Ultra 500 figures can be very inconsistent with scale. Neronga and Baragon are pretty close fits, as you can see; but humanoids like Windam or Greeza can be full head taller or more, while monsters like Destrudos end up tiny.

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

And now I got a processing soon notice for the Mothra set from Mezco.
:terrestris:

Gojirasaur
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirasaur »

Hadn't bitten on the Hedorah set before, but saw it in Toy Tokyo for a good price, and I love it. After the DAM sets, my expectations remain high for more.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Entertainment Earth has an outlet deal for each of the DAM sets at $67.99 each:
https://www.entertainmentearth.com/prod ... et/mz18070
https://www.entertainmentearth.com/prod ... et/mz18071

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Just got my Hedorah set from Entertainment Earth. Got a code from someone on my FB group that knocked a percentage off the price AND gave me free shipping. Good times.

The Hedorah in this set is near perfect. Like always, photos of these Mezco figures don't do them justice. The inclusion of the damaged eye is something I've been waiting for on a Hedorah figure for years. The flying Hedorah is also terrific. The head sculpt on Godzilla is also great, glad they went with a closed mouth. Not sure why they designed him to NEED the black base in order to stand though. That's my only gripe with this set. Well that and they didn't think to give Godzilla the skeleton hand. The buildings are fantastic inclusions too that add a lot to the display. All this for under $60. What a great value.

When does everyone think we'll see more of the Mechagodzilla set?

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Is there a size comparison compared to the other sets from before? These are really cool looking sets, but I am still on the fence.

Gojirasaur
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirasaur »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:33 pm Just got my Hedorah set from Entertainment Earth. Got a code from someone on my FB group that knocked a percentage off the price AND gave me free shipping. Good times.

The Hedorah in this set is near perfect. Like always, photos of these Mezco figures don't do them justice. The inclusion of the damaged eye is something I've been waiting for on a Hedorah figure for years. The flying Hedorah is also terrific. The head sculpt on Godzilla is also great, glad they went with a closed mouth. Not sure why they designed him to NEED the black base in order to stand though. That's my only gripe with this set. Well that and they didn't think to give Godzilla the skeleton hand. The buildings are fantastic inclusions too that add a lot to the display. All this for under $60. What a great value.

When does everyone think we'll see more of the Mechagodzilla set?
Great deal. I was gonna wait for a deal too, but had to have it when I saw it. I probably would have done the same had it been a GvMcG or ToMcG set too.

Incidentally, those would be great three-packs (with Titanosaurus and Caesar being the swapout figures in each pack).

How long will Mezco draw this out? Are we talking SHMA timeframe with them? ;)

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

StardustGenius wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:00 pm Is there a size comparison compared to the other sets from before? These are really cool looking sets, but I am still on the fence.
I'll try to take some comparison photos of mine soon. Godzilla should be the same size as before whereas Hedorah is about the same height as Godzilla (which admittedly could be another nitpick, since Hedorah should be taller).

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Alright, the Mezco Hedorah set!

The full set & box (sans the eyepatch and "eggs"):

Godzilla and Hedorah:

Godzilla vs Godzilla - the bodies and legs are the same, but the new curled tail doesn't quite reach the ground, leading to the figure tilting back slightly:

Hedorah with Rodan and Ghidorah - Hedorah is a bit on the small side, but displays nicely with the other monsters regardless:

Flying Hedorah with flying Rodan:

Bonus shot with the whole gang! I look forward to when the MechaG group can join the photo (whenever that will be):

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

That Hedorah set looks glorious— gonna have to make a note to cop it soon. Curious to see how they’ll do the Mecha-G set.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Last edited by Fermix on Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Man, those look SO good except the teeth.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Yeah, whatever they're doing to design Godzilla's mouthparts, they need to change it.

King Caesar looks absolutely phenomenal, though. It's nice to have a release date at last.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Godzilla’s the worst offender in the promo images, but MechaGodzilla’s teeth are goofy too. They almost look like Simpsons caricatures.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

King Caesar looks amazing....the others...
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda