Mezco Godzilla Toys

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Re: Mezco Godzilla Toys

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

Houndoom wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:37 pm What's the chances of the Mothra and twins being restocked? Missed out on that, when were these even announced?
Restocked? Not sure. I mean it’s never actually been stocked yet. Preorders sold out quickly and not every retailer that had other sets had that one. But presumably once the set starts to ship a few places that are currently sold out of preorders will have some for sale.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Houndoom wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:37 pm What's the chances of the Mothra and twins being restocked? Missed out on that, when were these even announced?
I believe July of last year? The wait period on these sets is pretty bad, admittedly. It would help if Mezco was more up-front about delays or other details regarding the releases.
Last edited by Rody on Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Pffft. Amateurs. I’ve been waiting for my One:12 1989 Batman since January 2020. Pre-pandemic!
Last edited by Poe Ghostal on Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Post by Houndoom »

InfiniteHollywood wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:34 am
Restocked? Not sure. I mean it’s never actually been stocked yet. Preorders sold out quickly and not every retailer that had other sets had that one. But presumably once the set starts to ship a few places that are currently sold out of preorders will have some for sale.
Rody wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:14 am
I believe July of last year? The wait period on these sets is pretty bad, admittedly. It would help if Mezco was more up-front about delays or other details regarding the releases.
Damn I didn't even see it on BBTS until I came across this thread. I was just making sure I wasn't up creek and lost my chance lol. Mezco seems to be the only ones doing Showa stuff so I'd hate to miss out on this beautiful set.

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

These really are the bees knees, aren't they? :)

Like others, I'm a bit stunned to see this kind of screen accuracy (not 100%, I know) from an American licensee for toys sold in the USA. If you handed me a figure unboxed, I'd assume it was something from Bandai a few years back. Having these now just makes Playmates offerings even more embarrassing.

If that Mezco license is open-ended to all Toho (are we assuming that, or do we know for certain?), I'd love to see Gabara (of course) as well as some of the other first appearance versions of characters like Manda, Mogeura, Oodako, etc. In fact, I'd hate to see DAM Manda offered instead of the Atragon version (Give us both, if need be).

I really hope to see these sell well in the bigger Target's that they could appear in the smaller ones like the Playmates ones do. Even carded individual ones would be welcome, but I guess those lesser known figures would end up on clearance. Either way, keep these coming!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Right now Mezco is doing things they know will sell. DAM sets, a Hedorah set, a Mechagodzilla set. I think its way too soon to make the assumption that we're going to get obscure stuff, especially if they're not bothering with a 3rd DAM set, one that would have included Manda, Varan and Kumonga.

Regardless the quality of the sculpts put most other American Godzilla toy releases to shame. Especially Playmates.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:57 am Right now Mezco is doing things they know will sell. DAM sets, a Hedorah set, a Mechagodzilla set. I think its way too soon to make the assumption that we're going to get obscure stuff, especially if they're not bothering with a 3rd DAM set, one that would have included Manda, Varan and Kumonga.

Regardless the quality of the sculpts put most other American Godzilla toy releases to shame. Especially Playmates.
In hindsight, obviously them not stretching to three sets from the get-go with Manda in one of them, Kumonga in another, etc. and now leaving those third-tier characters on their own spells doom for seeing that set (maybe Varan especially unless they do do some intentionally obscure sets). Still, I have to think multiple appearances means higher likelihoods of production, so I'd expect a Manda and Kumonga if the line continues. Alas, poor Varan...

Anyhow, I love the transparent G and KG shown earlier, and could see many such runs and repaints making these molds pay for themselves too. With Manda, you need only do one mold, dupe and refill it (for DAM), and maybe even run the original again for that Kai Dragon should a Tsuburaya license acquisition come to pass. Be it Mezco-site exclusive repaints, I can see these continuing for awhile provided they can keep the Toho license.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I do think if they wanted to do Manda, they would have spread out the DAM monsters better so that bigger names could fill out three sets. Putting Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah into only two sets makes it extremely clear about their intentions.

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:11 am I do think if they wanted to do Manda, they would have spread out the DAM monsters better so that bigger names could fill out three sets. Putting Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah into only two sets makes it extremely clear about their intentions.
I hope they merely underestimated their success and things are different now.

A "dirty" or bloody version of DAM G could anchor another set with one or more of these holdouts if they do decide to squeeze a bit more from the one film.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:11 am I do think if they wanted to do Manda, they would have spread out the DAM monsters better so that bigger names could fill out three sets. Putting Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah into only two sets makes it extremely clear about their intentions.
I'm personally hoping for an Atragon release with Manda and the Gotengo once they hit all the obvious thing. Might not be the DAM incarnation, but still.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:35 am
I'm personally hoping for an Atragon release with Manda and the Gotengo once they hit all the obvious thing. Might not be the DAM incarnation, but still.
I like the cut of your jib.

Not sure I could see Gotengo happening (would we get Super-X etc to follow?), and it would scare me if they shaped Manda to fit it. I'd rather the "pre-hug" classic Chinese dragon profile.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Gojirasaur wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:01 am Having these now just makes Playmates offerings even more embarrassing.
Mezco is doing $50+ specialty market adult collectibles.

Playmates is doing $12 mass market kids toys.

They aren’t supposed to be similar.

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

InfiniteHollywood wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:09 pm
Gojirasaur wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:01 am Having these now just makes Playmates offerings even more embarrassing.

If they weren't occupying the same shelves in the same stores, you'd have a point. The fact is, while Playmates may want to be on every CVS and Walgreens shelf alongside the standard fare of entry-level LEGO sets, they are still mainly popping up in places like Target's collectibles sections alongside NECA...or Mezco. It's that Godzilla, especially classic Godzilla, is still a bit more niche than ROBLOX or similar crap you'll find in those mass-market toy sections. Aiming for a market doesn't mean you'll succeed.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Gojirasaur wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:50 pm

If they weren't occupying the same shelves in the same stores, you'd have a point. The fact is, while Playmates may want to be on every CVS and Walgreens shelf alongside the standard fare of entry-level LEGO sets, they are still mainly popping up in places like Target's collectibles sections alongside NECA...or Mezco. It's that Godzilla, especially classic Godzilla, is still a bit more niche than ROBLOX or similar crap you'll find in those mass-market toy sections. Aiming for a market doesn't mean you'll succeed.
Sitting next to each other in stores is a bad rationale for competing product. NECA's stuff sits next to Funko Pop Vinyls at Target, doesn't mean they are the same type of collectible geared at the same collector.
Last edited by Fermix on Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

Fermix wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:41 am
Gojirasaur wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:50 pm

Sitting next to each other in stores is a bad rationale for competing product. NECA's stuff sits next to Funko Pop Vinyls at Target, doesn't mean they are the same type of collectible geared at the same collectible.
Agreed. It would only hurt the closed-box SHMA figure to be shelved alongside the open-boxed Playmates one, but that's what happens.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

There are no Mezco figures occupying shelves with Playmates toys. Maybe your shelves at home but not at retailers. Sorry that’s just not a thing.

NECA is on similar shelves I suppose but NECA ain’t Mezco and the prices are still widely diversified.

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

InfiniteHollywood wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:22 pm There are no Mezco figures occupying shelves with Playmates toys. Maybe your shelves at home but not at retailers. Sorry that’s just not a thing.

NECA is on similar shelves I suppose but NECA ain’t Mezco and the prices are still widely diversified.
I'm unsure of your location, but there's a big box chain in the USA called Target where even SHMA is on those shelves alongside Playmates. (You do suppose correctly that NECA is there as well). Checking now, at least online as of today, Mezco stock seems to be from partners, so the DAM set I saw may have been a short term store stocking, or maybe a return (only saw it there the one time).

However, my point was that stores, and Target in particular, tend to put them all together when they are; even the pricier $100+ ones. This is despite the fact standard Target stores have separate "collectibles" sections (apart from toys) where most higher-end figures (even ones with security devices attached) are supposed to end up. However, when it comes to Godzilla, I have seen them all stocked together in one or the other section.

You can rightly fault the store staff, despite the practice being rampant, but unless you restrict those different tiers of licensed products to different retailers, those retailers will do what they want. Same happens with some other product lines, even food.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

MonsterArts are relatively new to Target and they’ve only done a few of them. It’s not like this is a regular thing. And again, Mezco has never had any of their figures at Target.

I understand the point you’re trying to make. But you’re using false information to make it. But it really wouldn’t matter even if they were side by side. Mezco is making higher priced items. Playmates is making cheaper entry level items. Of course the one that costs 3x as much is better. No one would expect it to be the other way around.

Certainly there are some nicer high dollar items next to cheaper items in that section but that’s not just true of Playmates toys but of lots of other brands. There are $10 wooden Spider-Man figures. Cheap Funkos. Super7. Inexpensive Bandais right next to expensive Bandais (Gundam, not Godzilla). Customers can differentiate between items even if the price points are similar or widely diversified.

Should the Playmates Godzilla figures be in the toy aisle? I mean probably. At many Targets I’ve been to they are. But I’ve also seen a ton in the collectibles section as well.
Last edited by InfiniteHollywood on Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

*Update*
I got a notice from Mezco that my Godzilla Vs Hedorah set will be charging soon. Seems the Mothra set will come out afterwards, hopefully sooner than later.
:terrestris:

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

InfiniteHollywood wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:05 pm MonsterArts are relatively new to Target and they’ve only done a few of them. It’s not like this is a regular thing. And again, Mezco has never had any of their figures at Target.
Well, it's been a couple years with SHMA, and they seem to get them faster now, and except for my aforementioned personal experience shopping at Target, you'd be right about Mezco. Those don't seem to be a regular thing.
InfiniteHollywood wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:05 pmI understand the point you’re trying to make. But you’re using false information to make it. But it really wouldn’t matter even if they were side by side. Mezco is making higher priced items. Playmates is making cheaper entry level items. Of course the one that costs 3x as much is better. No one would expect it to be the other way around.

Certainly there are some nicer high dollar items next to cheaper items in that section but that’s not just true of Playmates toys but of lots of other brands. There are $10 wooden Spider-Man figures. Cheap Funkos. Super7. Inexpensive Bandais right next to expensive Bandais (Gundam, not Godzilla). Customers can differentiate between items even if the price points are similar or widely diversified.

Should the Playmates Godzilla figures be in the toy aisle? I mean probably. At many Targets I’ve been to they are. But I’ve also seen a ton in the collectibles section as well.
You just contradicted yourself there, but I'm glad you agree with the central point I was making in that you've also seen that they seem to end up in the wrong section. In the end, I'm happy with Target carrying most of these lines, even if they do lump them together sometimes.