Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:45 pm Have to agree with this. One of my sister's cats, for example, Big Chungus, is the local alpha male. His brother, Cremo, might generously be called the omega male. Chungus is a sadistic bastard about his authority, and just treats Cremo like crap 24/7. There are probably dead leaves in the yard that are more likely to stage a coup than Cremo is, but he still needs to be kept in his place.
This was a wild read
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:45 am This was a wild read
I'm sure. :lol:
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:45 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:10 pm Godzilla was no different than any other Alpha in the world like a Lion or a Chimp.
Have to agree with this. One of my sister's cats, for example, Big Chungus, is the local alpha male. His brother, Cremo, might generously be called the omega male. Chungus is a sadistic bastard about his authority, and just treats Cremo like crap 24/7. There are probably dead leaves in the yard that are more likely to stage a coup than Cremo is, but he still needs to be kept in his place.
Long live the Chungus!
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

GoKelley85
Yojimbo

Post by GoKelley85 »

Because my mind goes to crazy places, I thought out an entire outline for a grand finale to the MonsterVerse that would involve assembling a Monster Dream Team of sorts with Godzilla, Kong, Gamera, Mothra, Rodan, Angurius, The Rhedosaurus, Gappa, and some other oddities thrown in taking on an army of evil Monsters led by GIgan.

It'll never happen, but it was fun to think about, lol.

JetJaguar391
Young Farmer

Post by JetJaguar391 »

I've heard that apparently, Dougherty's original script for GvK was a lot bigger in scope, tying into KOTM a lot more and following up on its setup. But when it underperformed (since GvK did finish shooting before KOTM came out), the film got extensively reshot and cut down. Is there any info or summaries on what that original story was?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

JetJaguar391 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:19 pm I've heard that apparently, Dougherty's original script for GvK was a lot bigger in scope, tying into KOTM a lot more and following up on its setup. But when it underperformed (since GvK did finish shooting before KOTM came out), the film got extensively reshot and cut down. Is there any info or summaries on what that original story was?
Honestly wouldn't surprise me given seeing it the first time the film felt heavily edited and chopped up.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

JetJaguar391 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:19 pm I've heard that apparently, Dougherty's original script for GvK was a lot bigger in scope, tying into KOTM a lot more and following up on its setup. But when it underperformed (since GvK did finish shooting before KOTM came out), the film got extensively reshot and cut down. Is there any info or summaries on what that original story was?
Never heard of such things.

GvK has never went through a extensive re-shoot. Adam Wyngard said GvK had only five days to re-shoot and was much shorter than the two-week re-shoots usually done by many blockbusters.

https://www.gamesradar.com/godzilla-vs- ... m-wingard/

Dougherty has never written a GvK script as a whole. GvK's main screenwriters are separate. Dougherty said he has only rewritten some of the GvK plot to connect with some elements from KotM

https://thegww.com/godzilla-vs-kong-got ... -monsters/

Unless you're talking about something fresh and up-to-date news that I haven't heard yet, I guess you misunderstood something.

Added in 4 minutes 44 seconds:
However, it is true that many human characters were deleted or the story line and role changed during the production of GvK. It was revealed in interviews with several actors.

Added in 9 minutes 48 seconds:
Jessica Henwick, Zhang Ziyi: totally deleted.
Lance Reddick: drastically cut down.
Shun Oguri, Eiza Gonzalez: said their roles were changed during production.

You will notice human cast shooting some scenes that were not included in the movie when you watch Blu-ray additional videos.
However, it is not uncommon for some scenes to be cut off.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I've learned over the years that NO filmmaker is EVER going be on public record discussing what REALLY happened during production of a movie. A lot of shit we hear about movies is usually filtered through something to make sure the studios don't get pissed off.

Shit going on behind the scenes is always going to be publicaly glossed over, especially if its negative or paints anyone in a bad light. If GvsK had massive reshoots because KOTM bombed, no one working on it is going to go right out and say it. That looks bad.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

vastatosaurus wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:44 am Added in 4 minutes 44 seconds:
However, it is true that many human characters were deleted or the story line and role changed during the production of GvK. It was revealed in interviews with several actors.

Does anyone know exactly what Zhang Ziyi would have done in GvK? As far as I know, there were no plans for Mothra to be in the film, and there was barely any Monarch in it, much less the behind-the-scenes look at Monarch we got in KOTM. So I can't figure out where the Chen sisters would have fit into GvK.

The only thing I can think of is maybe Ilene Chen started a relationship with Mark Russell and there were some scenes planned of them at home. Idk, just thinking on the fly. Was there any mention of the Chen sisters in the novelization?

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:49 pm
vastatosaurus wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:44 am Added in 4 minutes 44 seconds:

Does anyone know exactly what Zhang Ziyi would have done in GvK? As far as I know, there were no plans for Mothra to be in the film, and there was barely any Monarch in it, much less the behind-the-scenes look at Monarch we got in KOTM. So I can't figure out where the Chen sisters would have fit into GvK.

The only thing I can think of is maybe Ilene Chen started a relationship with Mark Russell and there were some scenes planned of them at home. Idk, just thinking on the fly. Was there any mention of the Chen sisters in the novelization?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCNzV0PgskK ... _copy_link

This scene was supposed to be in KotM but eventually scrapped, and was actually filmed during GvK's production.

The existence of this scene was revealed by some extra actors and a costume designer.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/256322 ... -major-way

And some concepts and storyboard art were later released that proved the scene was planned at GvK. It was probably an ending scene or a credit scene.

http://tokuz.blog.jp/archives/26935078.html
(Language in Japanese)

But it was eventually kept unused. Zhang Ziyi has been removed from the list of GvK cast members on all websites.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Damn, that's right. I forgot the Mothra twins were supposed to be in GvK.
Has there been any kind of concerted effort within the fanbase to try and piece together a full picture of what GvK was supposed to be originally? I feel like we've managed to dig up lots of info so far, and like Legion said above even if Adam decides to completely come clean about the film it's not gonna happen for a long time.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

donaldino
Yojimbo

Post by donaldino »

This movie is decent. My least favourite from the MonsterVerse. It has entertaining moments. Not enough of them in my opinion. Many missed opportunities with Hollow Earth being explored by Kong and the humans. Why not show a lot more monsters living there? Most of the movie should have taken place there. Team Kong was so much more fascinating than Team Godzilla. Team Kong had the more entertaining plot. The characters who uncovered why Godzilla attacked Apex were detrimental. I liked the inclusion of Apex Industries. Ren, Walter, and Mya were good antagonists who needed to be seen more. Bernie should have been the sole character focus for the Godzilla subplot and maybe a woman co-worker who could be a romantic interest for him after the death of his wife. Madison, Josh, and Mark were bad to include in this. The silliest moment of the MonsterVerse happens when Godzilla shoots his atomic breath straight into Hollow Earth. What the heck? There's no way his attack could be that powerful. Plus, how could Kong slide through the tunnel Godzilla dug in such a short time? Same for the human characters who flew their ship through it? Before, Kong and the humans needed to pass through a wormhole sort-of-thing to travel the distance needed to reach Hollow Earth. That part didn't make any sense whatsoever. Another thing that annoys me is the editing at one point of the film I noticed. We see something about to happen, the film cuts to another place nearby. We are shown or told something and a considerable amount of time passes. The film cuts back to the initial moment and the action that we were about to see before the cut, magically happens. This happens when MechaGodzilla stomps Godzilla's head into the building. The same annoying editing happened at the end of the car chase in the movie The Batman.
Last edited by donaldino on Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

islandclaws
Young Farmer

Post by islandclaws »

I managed to get copies of the call sheets for all 5 days of reshoots and there was mostly a lot more action going on in the APEX control room. Bill Moseley (Chop Top from Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2; well known horror actor) had a role. I'd have to go back and read the scene descriptions to jog my memory but it was interesting to see what was scheduled to be shot versus what wound up in the film.

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

Deleted scene (images) of the mural in Kong’s temple
https://twitter.com/kdm_monsters/status ... waaCDlh7LQ

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

AMC is re-releasing Godzilla vs. Kong in select AMC theaters this week! Looks like it will only be in theaters on Friday though.

A nice surprise to end this stressful month. I think I'll have to check it out. That'll make it my 4th time seeing it on the big screen.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

People need to see it at least 3 times on Friday if they can. Maybe it will finally beat Endgame.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

It’s going to be really exciting seeing this again tonight knowing what’s coming next!

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Having seen this a few times now, my opinion is holding fairly steady. Spectacular battles, probably the best of the MV and some of the best in the franchise. Effects are truly incredible, and the pacing is brisk. However, it is let down but some really, really awful dialogue and bizarre plot points and ends up "as a movie" being the worst in the MV, yet remains hugely rewatchable due to said battles and pacing.

We'll never get it, but given how much footage went unused in this final product, I would be interested in alternative cuts which could improve the movie. Either additional content, or even streamlining it further (maybe between unused scenes it'd be possible to effectively drop the entire Team Podcast trio subplot that was both ridiculous and slightly annoying). As a fan, it'd be fascinating if there were more scenes with lore and world-building to add another 20-30 minutes, or a super-sprint 95 minute cut.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Tohosaurus wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:50 pm Having seen this a few times now, my opinion is holding fairly steady. Spectacular battles, probably the best of the MV and some of the best in the franchise. Effects are truly incredible, and the pacing is brisk. However, it is let down but some really, really awful dialogue and bizarre plot points and ends up "as a movie" being the worst in the MV, yet remains hugely rewatchable due to said battles and pacing.

We'll never get it, but given how much footage went unused in this final product, I would be interested in alternative cuts which could improve the movie. Either additional content, or even streamlining it further (maybe between unused scenes it'd be possible to effectively drop the entire Team Podcast trio subplot that was both ridiculous and slightly annoying). As a fan, it'd be fascinating if there were more scenes with lore and world-building to add another 20-30 minutes, or a super-sprint 95 minute cut.
One thing that comes to mind is cutting the Ronny Chieng cameo to give Team Godzilla the lead on Bernie. For me, it slows down the pace (and not exactly funny as well).
Last edited by kaijukurt on Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I was tempted to see that Friday re-release but between having two busy Weds and Thursday and seeing it numerous times in theaters I skipped it. It would have been fun but I just didn't feel like going out.