Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Legion1979 »

Man, daveblackeye, because of you this movie is never going to beat Endgame. Lol
Last edited by Legion1979 on Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Does anyone else like all three of the MV Godzilla films just about equally?

They’re all in my top 10. Just depends what I’m in the mood for on any given day. I like that they’re all different from each other. It’s definitely my favorite run of Godzilla films since the 60s.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Certainly not me. I think I like each one more as they go on but they're still towards the bottom of my pile. They're not films I'll ever feel motivated to watch again. They're CGI Hollywood product and that's not my thing.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

king_ghidorah wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:58 pm Does anyone else like all three of the MV Godzilla films just about equally?

They’re all in my top 10. Just depends what I’m in the mood for on any given day. I like that they’re all different from each other. It’s definitely my favorite run of Godzilla films since the 60s.
Each Monsterverse Godzilla movie has gotten progressively worse. And based on the cast and crew of the upcoming movie, I don't see that trend stopping...

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Moogabunga wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:16 pm
king_ghidorah wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:58 pm Does anyone else like all three of the MV Godzilla films just about equally?

Each Monsterverse Godzilla movie has gotten progressively worse. And based on the cast and crew of the upcoming movie, I don't see that trend stopping...

Ah yes, the doom sayer has arrived… :Destoroyah:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kotm and Godzilla vs Kong are fun to me. Bith are definitely top 15. G14 while not as enjoyable is still a good Godzilla film to me.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

G 14 is unique in that it’s probably the best made film of the bunch, but also the least fun. I have to be in a particular mood to watch it.

Gkotm kind of splits the difference for me. Plus it’s just a big love letter to Godzilla.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

king_ghidorah wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:30 pm G 14 is unique in that it’s probably the best made film of the bunch, but also the least fun.
LOL! That "probably" is adorable. G14 IS by far the best made film of the bunch.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Wrong thread
Last edited by Moogabunga on Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:04 pm Certainly not me. I think I like each one more as they go on but they're still towards the bottom of my pile. They're not films I'll ever feel motivated to watch again. They're CGI Hollywood product and that's not my thing.
I’m kind of the opposite. I like rewatching them, and though they’re “product,” they do have some appeal for me, partially since they’re done differently than Toho’s.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I find it interesting how those fat lizards that the fans have called Doug, are considered Foetodons. The same creatures featured in Kong 2005, except specifically related to Godzilla in this canon.

Regardless I wish they went with the concept art for the creatures, instead of fat, wall-eyed, and cute.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:17 pm I find it interesting how those fat lizards that the fans have called Doug, are considered Foetodons. The same creatures featured in Kong 2005, except specifically related to Godzilla in this canon.

Regardless I wish they went with the concept art for the creatures, instead of fat, wall-eyed, and cute.
Strange why they went with naming them Foetodons, but oh well. I like the chunky designs the MonsterVerse took for them. Maybe they can incorporate the design as a sibling species or something.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Resized Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I find a lot of the concept art of the Hollow Earth and it's creatures really fascinating. It feels like they had an idea of a more monster populated area filled with giant Kong-sized creatures. The Hell Hawks used to be as big as Kong (or slightly smaller), but they got reduced to the size of a mini-van. Likewise, they cut the alternative Warbat design out, changed the Foetdons -which used to be more fearsome- and in general made everything less hostile. I wonder if that was to leave room for bigger more intimidating monsters for the sequel, or have it so that Hollow Earth would seem like a more natural and habitable place for Kong to live. Likewise it allows for humans to briefly interact with the Hell Hawks.

In any case, I hope we get way more monsters in the Hollow Earth in the future. I'm very satisfied with what we got, but there are some noticeable pauses where the Hollow Earth feels a bit empty.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^What’s your honest opinion of the whole Hollow Earth concept? Do you mind it being brought back in future continuities?

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:32 pm In any case, I hope we get way more monsters in the Hollow Earth in the future. I'm very satisfied with what we got, but there are some noticeable pauses where the Hollow Earth feels a bit empty.
I would love to see more of the Hollow Earth fleshed out. I also hope we can delve into its history a bit more, if there were ever any humans who lived there or what other monsters might have lived there before, events that occurred there, et cetera. There's still some ways to really dig into the concept as seen in the MV so far.

Resized Image

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:17 pm I find it interesting how those fat lizards that the fans have called Doug, are considered Foetodons. The same creatures featured in Kong 2005, except specifically related to Godzilla in this canon.

whats the concept art for those things

iu pretty much took a break from all of this and looked one godzilla like lore or video on hte monsterverse and it was all cringy ass zoomer content so idk where to see stuff for the monsterverse

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Janjira-York wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:48 pm

whats the concept art for those things

iu pretty much took a break from all of this and looked one godzilla like lore or video on hte monsterverse and it was all cringy ass zoomer content so idk where to see stuff for the monsterverse
There are some art books for the movies that have that info. Wikizilla also should have some pics of the concept art, iirc.

Resized Image

Gojirafan2013
Ronin

I like the way the Hollow Earth was presented in GVK.

Post by Gojirafan2013 »

I thought Wingard did a great job at making the Hollow Earth a literal world within our world rather than keeping it a series of interconnected tunnels. It opens the door for some amazing worldbuilding and exploration in future movies. I just find the idea of a primordial world with prehistoric creatures hidden beneath our feet to be fascinating, hence the reason I fell in love with King Kong.

I know some fans have complained about Wingard retconning the nature of the Hollow Earth, but I don’t see it as a retcon. In KOTM, we learn that the Hollow Earth is a series of interconnected tunnels beneath the Earth’s crust. Just because it's different than what was previously set up to be doesn't mean there were any contradictions. Monarch could have been unaware of the real Hollow Earth during KOTM and assumed it was just a series of tunnels underground.

And for anybody wondering what the Hollow Earth’s light source is, there’s a paragraph on page 82 of the GVK artbook that says this…

“Because gravity goes haywire inside [the] Hollow Earth’s inverted shell, one of the only navigational constants is the pulsating storm overhead that provides the realm’s only source of light. This pseudo-sun shines on misted rainforests and pinnacles of blackened granite, as the landscape cuticles upward in every direction. Sulfur volcanoes in Indonesia helped inspire the look of the lightning-lashed central storm. ‘They give off this strange, ebbing purple glow, and we looked to that as a light source,’ says Hammock.”

I’ve also seen questions regarding the presence of radiation in the Hollow Earth. My take on the matter is that there are some sections of the Hollow Earth that are more radioactive than others, Godzilla’s temple from KOTM being one of them.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I think radiation is something akin to the force in the MV. Or maybe another way of thinking about it is to think of it as the way radiation was depicted in the 1950s in film.

Either way, in the MV there is both the negative radiation that we know and some sort of beneficial by-product that the the titans respirate after consuming the negative nuclear energy.

O2 vs CO2 sort of thing.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:06 am I think radiation is something akin to the force in the MV. Or maybe another way of thinking about it is to think of it as the way radiation was depicted in the 1950s in film.

Either way, in the MV there is both the negative radiation that we know and some sort of beneficial by-product that the the titans respirate after consuming the negative nuclear energy.

O2 vs CO2 sort of thing.
While I get it as an easy to use Sci-fi tool to explain things, it's one thing that's always irked me about the MV, especially in KOTM. I've stated this numerous times, so without beating a dead horse, it's one thing I was really happy to see in Godzilla vs. Kong; it was clear they knew that having radiation as a magical and helpful thing, from a franchise originally critical of nuclear proliferation was a bad thing. I hope they don't bring it back up again, or at least keep it at a minimum.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.