Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:38 am
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:51 am Godzilla S.P has been awarded for its VFX!

VFX-JAPAN 2022 AWARD:
TV/Streaming Section
Outstanding Performance Award
Godzilla Singular Point

https://twitter.com/CG_Orange_eng/statu ... YDfqA&s=19
Didn't you call that last year? Or were you saying it would win the big SF award in general.

I would say, yeah some scenes with the Digital models look bad, but overall I think there's a lot of quality work, and a nice mesh of 3D and 2D animation. Compared to a lot of other 3D anime (looking at you berserk), Singular Point did a fantastic job at providing easy to understand and follow action.
Singular Point has officially won.

https://twitter.com/GODZILLA_SP/status/ ... 0fdXw&s=19
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:04 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:38 am
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:51 am Godzilla S.P has been awarded for its VFX!

VFX-JAPAN 2022 AWARD:
TV/Streaming Section
Outstanding Performance Award
Godzilla Singular Point

https://twitter.com/CG_Orange_eng/statu ... YDfqA&s=19
Didn't you call that last year? Or were you saying it would win the big SF award in general.

I would say, yeah some scenes with the Digital models look bad, but overall I think there's a lot of quality work, and a nice mesh of 3D and 2D animation. Compared to a lot of other 3D anime (looking at you berserk), Singular Point did a fantastic job at providing easy to understand and follow action.
Singular Point has officially won.

https://twitter.com/GODZILLA_SP/status/ ... 0fdXw&s=19
Well, that's a good way to sell/advertise season 2 then!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Kaijuboi
Yojimbo

Post by Kaijuboi »

has anyone managed to successfully know what the brail (I believe) in the
Spoiler:
schematics of robogodzilla

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Kaijuboi wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:15 am has anyone managed to successfully know what the brail (I believe) in the
Spoiler:
schematics of robogodzilla
I believe that was the names of the companies that helped create it. One or even multiple of them were reference to the Simans' homeworld from the Showa era.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Just came here to praise the score. I need to look at the OST to know which tracks I'm talking about. But, honestly, the score has been pretty fantastic for the few episodes I've rewatched. Particularly the different arrangements of the Godzilla theme.

Fropston
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fropston »

Finally binged the whole series. Pretty good overall, though the jargon was a bit hard to wrap my head around. The soundtrack was great, characters were serviceable, and the monsters were neat as well, though some choices were certainly very questionable (what on earth was going on with Kumonga? The sequence was cool, but it seemed like they were unsure if they wanted it to be Kumonga, Megalon, or Gigan).

It had Jet Jaguar in a starring role though, so 10/10.
(Less) Rare poster. :pelops2:

SharkLord
Yojimbo

Post by SharkLord »

Fropston wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:58 am Finally binged the whole series. Pretty good overall, though the jargon was a bit hard to wrap my head around. The soundtrack was great, characters were serviceable, and the monsters were neat as well, though some choices were certainly very questionable (what on earth was going on with Kumonga? The sequence was cool, but it seemed like they were unsure if they wanted it to be Kumonga, Megalon, or Gigan).

It had Jet Jaguar in a starring role though, so 10/10.
Yeah, the show seemed to have a thing for mixing and matching the kaiju. Manda had Ebirah-esque claws and shell, Salunga was basically Gabara in all but name plus some elements of Baragon, and they just decided Titanosaurus, Varan, and Gorosaurus were stages in Godzilla's evolution.

I kinda wish they kept Godzilla's forms as separate kaiju. We already had Shin Godzilla as an evolving, borderline-eldritch Godzilla that defies nature; Might as well give some of the veterans some time to shine again.

Honestly, when the trailer first dropped I was just expecting it to be a bunch of kaiju showing up in modern times, plus more animalistic designs than past installments. I wasn't expecting all that quantum physics jargon either.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

The techno-jargon is (IMO, in its own way) impressive even though it can be annoying at times. I’ve found it much easier to follow around in English.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

The world building is what really sells it for me. That and I really enjoyed the growing feeling of a world going to hell.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Fropston
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fropston »

SharkLord wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:25 pm Yeah, the show seemed to have a thing for mixing and matching the kaiju. Manda had Ebirah-esque claws and shell, Salunga was basically Gabara in all but name plus some elements of Baragon, and they just decided Titanosaurus, Varan, and Gorosaurus were stages in Godzilla's evolution.

I kinda wish they kept Godzilla's forms as separate kaiju. We already had Shin Godzilla as an evolving, borderline-eldritch Godzilla that defies nature; Might as well give some of the veterans some time to shine again.

Honestly, when the trailer first dropped I was just expecting it to be a bunch of kaiju showing up in modern times, plus more animalistic designs than past installments. I wasn't expecting all that quantum physics jargon either.
I didn't notice the Ebirah influence when I watched, might have to rewatch with a closer eye to see anything I missed. Definitely agree that it would have been nice to see Varan, Titanosaurus and Gorosaurus as their own thing, but I think it still was cool to have Godzilla go through the same sort of evolution routine as in Shin (though if it keeps happening it'll probably get less and less cool).
(Less) Rare poster. :pelops2:

SharkLord
Yojimbo

Post by SharkLord »

Fropston wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:12 pm
SharkLord wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:25 pm Yeah, the show seemed to have a thing for mixing and matching the kaiju. Manda had Ebirah-esque claws and shell, Salunga was basically Gabara in all but name plus some elements of Baragon, and they just decided Titanosaurus, Varan, and Gorosaurus were stages in Godzilla's evolution.

I didn't notice the Ebirah influence when I watched, might have to rewatch with a closer eye to see anything I missed. Definitely agree that it would have been nice to see Varan, Titanosaurus and Gorosaurus as their own thing, but I think it still was cool to have Godzilla go through the same sort of evolution routine as in Shin (though if it keeps happening it'll probably get less and less cool).
Yeah, I hope they don't decide to make the Shin Godzilla-esque evolution into the next big thing. It was done, it was a crazy new thing for a crazy new Godzilla, it was unique. It was done again, it was a neat reference. But if they keep doing it too much, it'll just get worn out.

The other thing that bugged me about Aquatilis and Amphibia were that they didn't really do much. The former swam around and munched on a Manda, and the latter made a big explosion and formed a cocoon to metamorphize with, and that's about it. Terrestrialis at least got to show off the blood tentacles and shoot some rings, but that's about the only pre-Ultima form that got to do much. The first two were basically stepping stones to much Godzilla's plotline along.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I just watched the first episode last night. I will reserve my full judgement when I finish season one.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:02 pm The world building is what really sells it for me. That and I really enjoyed the growing feeling of a world going to hell.
Think you'd be a good source to help me then. I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding what exactly the Archetype is and could use some clarity. I get that it is multidimensional and is essentially halfway in the main SP universe and halfway in another at any given time. It can only be found in some very, very rare veins and the largest sources are in India and Japan; but it can also be found in a few animals like jellyfish (why them for any particular reason btw?). That's why Ashihara set up that mining operation in India to use Archetype to power the calculator. All of the kaiju use it in their biology, hence why smaller ones like the Rodans can't survive outside of it for long. However larger kaiju like Salunga, the dead Godzilla skeleton, and especially the modern Godzilla can generate or manifest a lot of it just by existing. I understand archetype can be transmuted into various known forms, 13 I think, but likely has a near infinite number of possible variants. The Orthogonal Diagonalizer basically works by pre-programming the archetype around it into one specific form via a code. That's how it changed all the red dust into brittle red crystals when used on Salunga and then the more advanced version used by JJ made all those blue crystals.

Am I missing anything?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Hmm I'm not 100% certain on it, but that seems like more or less the gist of it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think that's about right. What remains unclear is where archetype is coming from, or what triggers this sudden proliferation of it throughout the world. There seems to be some implication that SHIVA's big super computer, started to create more of it, but it remains a chicken and egg scenario (whether the monsters or SHIVA, created it first. IIRC, BB or someone else, stated that archetype usage is sort of like "letting the genie out of the lamp". It's also unclear why some monsters, like Godzilla, or Rodan, appear to be able to better utilize it than others (Manda). It's unclear if Salunga, is a monster mutated or a being born from archetype. It seems like creatures like the Kumonga are mutated by it, while others are born of it.

There's very clear parallels to nuclear weapons and the atom. A major scientific discovery that we don't fully understand, that may be beneficial for humanity but just as equally destructible.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Just found some Jet Jgauar concept art and boy, if you didn't like the design they went with, you're gonna have a really hard time with this one.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:53 pm Just found some Jet Jgauar concept art and boy, if you didn't like the design they went with, you're gonna have a really hard time with this one.
Thank God they didn’t went with this design

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:53 pm Just found some Jet Jgauar concept art and boy, if you didn't like the design they went with, you're gonna have a really hard time with this one.
Someone dropped an anvil on JJ's head.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:02 pm
Thank God they didn’t went with this design
Why? How is it any worse than what we got?

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

shadowgigan wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:59 pm Just came here to praise the score. I need to look at the OST to know which tracks I'm talking about. But, honestly, the score has been pretty fantastic for the few episodes I've rewatched. Particularly the different arrangements of the Godzilla theme.
I was listening to the OST last night, really hits. I really like Otaki's Sortie. I know not everyone loves SP, but one of the things that made it work so well imo was the score. It had a nice little Showa vibe in the right places but also a unique sound.
I think I'm gonna have to watch SP thru for a fourth time here soon! Listening to a few of the tracks reminds me of the moments the show gave me goosebumps, like when Ultima is finally revealed and the theme kicks in, or the acapella Alapu Upala bit before everyone goes to battle.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.