Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Smuggers »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:24 am How is it any worse than what we got?
Because it doesn't have the most iconic feature of Jet Jaguar, his face...? This isn't a hard one.

I mean, it's whatever. It's just concept art. The whole point is to throw out a bunch of ideas before you're able to realize a vision.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Smuggers wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:07 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:24 am How is it any worse than what we got?
Because it doesn't have the most iconic feature of Jet Jaguar, his face...? This isn't a hard one.

I mean, it's whatever. It's just concept art. The whole point is to throw out a bunch of ideas before you're able to realize a vision.
Not that the actual look of JJ in the show is actually good itself.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:31 pm Not that the actual look of JJ in the show is actually good itself.
That's literally just your opinion and irrelevant to anything I said.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:24 am
Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:02 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:53 pm Just found some Jet Jgauar concept art and boy, if you didn't like the design they went with, you're gonna have a really hard time with this one.
Thank God they didn’t went with this design
Why? How is it any worse than what we got?
Because the JJ design in the actual show actually looks like Jet Jaguar, as opposed to this one.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:57 pm
Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:02 pm

Thank God they didn’t went with this design
Because the JJ design in the actual show actually looks like Jet Jaguar, as opposed to this one.
Well when they built him the third time he did look like his OG counterpart

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:59 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:57 pm

Well when they built him the third time he did look like his OG counterpart
That's literally what I just said. The design they used in the actual show actually looks like Jet Jaguar.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

The frequent upgrades for Jet Jaguar are a nice mirror to Godzilla's and the ever-changing nature of Archetype.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Can we like do that with other famous Kaiju like King Ghidorah or Rodan?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Just want to praise the design of JJ:

The design of JJ by the end of the series is a really fantastic update. It maintains the "robotic-man" identity, but also does enough to make it more robotic, without adding a bunch of extra cybernetic components/weapons. Amongst other humanoid designs and the Tokatsu hero genre it's lankiness makes it very unique.

The original concept art removes and wipes the personality of JJ away by removing the face, and just turns it into a machine/weapon. that's not what JJ is. In universe, if we ignore JJ's design in the original Godzilla vs. Megalon, JJ's design is great. Is it more realistic to design a robot without a face? Sure I guess. But this is Ootaki Factory. It fits right into their eccentricities and beliefs. It's also reflective on Yun's belief in AI and robots as his "babies".

We don't know exactly what stage that design was either, it's possible that was just concept art for an earlier form, and eventually JJ would get a face. One thing I like, is that during the Angurius episode, JJ gets damaged, and we still get a brief scene with the "faceless mode", which is also a nice reference to MG.

Added in 1 minute 14 seconds:
Smuggers wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:16 pm The frequent upgrades for Jet Jaguar are a nice mirror to Godzilla's and the ever-changing nature of Archetype.
This too. For all it's faults, there's some things that SP knocked completely out of the park.

Added in 1 minute 52 seconds:
Thatguy4683 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:18 pm Can we like do that with other famous Kaiju like King Ghidorah or Rodan?
If you mean evolution, they sort of do that/hint at that with all the other monsters.

The Kumonga are originally sea louses (?), that turn into big spiders, and eventually get to fly. The Rodan change throughout, and form a big Rodan (but we don't know what happens). Angurius attacks, but grows and doubles in size. Salunga starts out as a small monkey like creature (that we never see), grows and grows, and then develops electricity powers. Manda gets the shaft, but who knows.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:29 pm Just want to praise the design of JJ:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, SP's use of JJ is overall fantastic, and this just highlights another aspect of it. It a fresh update that feels both true to what came before, yet creates a unique presence that could easily have been heavily cliched. Under a different team, JJ could easily have turned into a not -jaeger, -gundam, -eva, or been a pure comic relief character. Yes, there are clear influences on JJ's design and personality, the obvious comparison to boss borot, and the tachikoma of ghost in the shell, but I think there's enough mix around that its well distanced from simply aping other successful franchises.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Singular Point Jet Jaguar lacks the charm of the original. It swings too hard in the direction of mundane realism that it misses the quirky campiness that makes Jet Jaguar Jet Jaguar. The poor thing doesn't even have thumbs which to give a thumbs-up with. :(

It also never fucking shuts up. God damn Pelops.
Last edited by Spuro on Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I did like some of the direction they took Godzilla, with some other monsters like anguirus, but some design choices they made are very questionable like Rodan it’s just a pterosaur and the Godzilla form s look so eerily similar to other monsters (Titanosaurus, Varan, and Gorasaurus) even though they are not

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:59 pm and the Godzilla form s look so eerily similar to other monsters (Titanosaurus, Varan, and Gorasaurus) even though they are not
They're supposed to be Titanosaurus, Varan, and Gorosaurus. The three monsters just got adapted as Godzilla evolution stages for some fucking stupid reason.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Spuro wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:03 pm
Thatguy4683 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:59 pm and the Godzilla form s look so eerily similar to other monsters (Titanosaurus, Varan, and Gorasaurus) even though they are not
They're supposed to be Titanosaurus, Varan, and Gorosaurus. The three monsters just got adapted as Godzilla evolution stages for some skreeonking stupid reason.
Likely because Toho knew they couldn't make money off of those monsters, so they re-purposed them as transformations of Godzilla. When selling merchandise based off of this show, a figure labeled Godzilla is bound to draw more attention calling it Varan or Titanosaurus. It's taking a shit in the mouths of those who feel that various C-grade kaiju deserve a comeback after so many decades. I am such a person.

Regarding Jet Jaguar, a redesign of a pre-existing character can succeed in looking the way it should and still be terrible. The same can be said for a redesign of Godzilla even if he looks and acts the part. Would've GINO gotten a lot more praise with just few teaks to make him look like a proper Godzilla?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Spuro wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:03 pm
They're supposed to be Titanosaurus, Varan, and Gorosaurus. The three monsters just got adapted as Godzilla evolution stages for some skreeonking stupid reason.
They're supposed to resemble them as a means of paying homage, but they're not supposed to be Titano, Goro and Varan. They were always gonna be Godzilla, and I for one love such a creative flip of expectations and spin on his evolution.

Added in 2 minutes 18 seconds:
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:31 pmWould've GINO gotten a lot more praise with just few teaks to make him look like a proper Godzilla?
Yes he would've. As long as he acted like Godzilla, had atomic breath and was immune to conventional weaponry.

Or, alternatively (and I wish this was the case), the 1998 design turned out to be his first form and he later evolved into a classic-looking Godzilla.
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:11 pm
Or, alternatively (and I wish this was the case), the 1998 design turned out to be his first form and he later evolved into a classic-looking Godzilla.
Then I see no reason to complain if Shin evolved into a more healed and traditional-looking Godzilla. They do that all the time with rebooted fictional characters getting a power-up which makes them more resemble the way they looked in the past. Just look at Aquaman 2018, sure it's part of the much maligned DC cinematic universe, but was that one thing wrong with the film?

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:17 pm
Then I see no reason to complain if Shin evolved into a more healed and traditional-looking Godzilla. They do that all the time with rebooted fictional characters getting a power-up which makes them more resemble the way they looked in the past. Just look at Aquaman 2018, sure it's part of the much maligned DC cinematic universe, but was that one thing wrong with the film?
Shin did look like a classic Godzilla. Burnt, keloid-scarred Godzilla is the Godzilla that started it all. 1998, on the other hand, strayed too far in both design and character. They are two completely different beasts that cannot be compared.

Also, nobody complained about a "fully-healed" Shin Godzilla. Hell, Shin Godzilla had nothing to do with the conversation in general.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:37 pm
Shin did look like a classic Godzilla. Burnt, keloid-scarred Godzilla is the Godzilla that started it all. 1998, on the other hand, strayed too far in both design and character. They are two completely different beasts that cannot be compared.

Also, nobody complained about a "fully-healed" Shin Godzilla. Hell, Shin Godzilla had nothing to do with the conversation in general.
I thought Shin Godzilla design
was fine, in fact it’s my second favorite Godzilla incarnation first goes to the legendary incarnation

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

My question is if you'd object to if they did that with Shin. Also, I know you're likely to disagree, but do you think I made a good argument as to why I'm not too keen on Godzilla's evolution in SP?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:42 pm

Then I see no reason to complain if Shin evolved into a more healed and traditional-looking Godzilla. They do that all the time with rebooted fictional characters getting a power-up which makes them more resemble the way they looked in the past. Just look at Aquaman 2018, sure it's part of the much-maligned DC cinematic universe, but was that one thing wrong with the film?

My question is if you'd object to if they did that with Shin. Also, I know you're likely to disagree, but do you think I made a good argument as to why I'm not too keen on Godzilla's evolution in SP?
I wouldn't object per se, but I wouldn't be pleased either. I'd accept it in the end, though, because it's still Godzilla nonetheless. Keloid scarred or no; as long as he retains the traditional silhouette and everything else that makes Godzilla Godzilla, he's still the King of all Monsters in my eyes.

Dude, there's no such thing as a good or bad argument as to why you don't like one trait or another of a monster that doesn't exist. You can not like it and have your reasons, simple as that.
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.