Kamen Rider

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Kamen Rider

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

mikelcho wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:31 pm Good one! I'm presuming that both of these films are mostly considered to be in the so-bad-they're-terrible category?
Absolutely. Maybe even their own special Sompote Sands sub-category.

I was kinda hoping Shin Kamen Rider focused on Hongo alone. I wonder if the Spider Man is going be the only villain?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Just picked up my chunky hardcover of the original manga.

The 1st of several official Kamen Rider media releases we're getting this year! How crazy is that?

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:59 pm Last time I watched Kamen Rider was a crossover with MMPrR and one episode of Masked Rider.

Think I'll end up wating for Shin Kamen Rider and maybe working from there.
Oddly enough, my first exposure was through a comic that included Turbo and Samurai Pizza Cats. I had zero exposure beyond that until I stumbled across Black RX.

Here's the ones I recommend:

1. Kabuto - I waited to watch it because it had a dub, which I wanted to watch since high school, but the show's really entertaining and the only one I finished. The suit designer is the same exact one that handled B-Fighter/ Big Bad Beetleborgs and while it does get goofy at times especially with the insufferable protagonist, it's pretty good.

2. Kuuga - A return to basics and is rather realistic and down to earth with its characters and world. I've seen almost half of it and it's a decent series. Like Kabuto, this really works when watching two of them at once. It just got a bit repetitive with the power ups, though the general drama in the story feels like Buffy: The Vampire Slayer.

3. OOO. It's basically a gimmicky remake of Kuuga with a more anime-esque writing style. While I bowed out due to how repetitive the switching of Core Medals became by Episode 16, it's good for a watch due to Ankh.

4. Shin Kamen Rider: Prologue - It's basically like the Japanese equivalent to the 80's Jeff Goldblum Fly. It's more horror than a superhero film.

5. Kamen Rider The First. A retelling of the 71 series.

6. Amazon. I've only seen a couple episodes, but it's pretty interesting.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:59 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:31 pm Good one! I'm presuming that both of these films are mostly considered to be in the so-bad-they're-terrible category?
Absolutely. Maybe even their own special Sompote Sands sub-category.
I've defended Hanuman vs. 7 Ultraman countless times on here, and stand by it isn't a bad movie. At the very least, it's on-par with your average episode of Ultraman Ace or Taro. Not to mention it's legit significance to Thai cinema.

Hanuman and the Five Riders is another story, albeit to call it "so-bad-it's-terrible" is still a bit of a stretch, mostly just due to how bizarre a production it is. I'd probably put in on-par with something like Turkish Star Wars, i.e., an insane hodgepodge of stolen footage.

Hanuman and the Five Riders was surprisingly released in a number of countries outside of Thailand (apparently distributed by the Shaw Bros in some). Hell, some countries saw both Hanuman and the Five Riders AND The Five of Super Rider (the authorized Taiwanese adaptation of Kamen Rider X's movie) released.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Were the officially licensed Taiwanese Kamen Riders a pre-Saban version of Sabanization? Like, integrating Japanese fight footage?

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Angilasman wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:28 am Were the officially licensed Taiwanese Kamen Riders a pre-Saban version of Sabanization? Like, integrating Japanese fight footage?
In a nutshell, yeah. There were three produced, one utilizing footage from Kamen Rider vs. Shocker and Kamen Rider vs. Ambassador Hell, one based on Kamen Rider V3 vs. Destron Mutants, and one (Which is considerably rarer) based on The Five Riders vs. King Dark. They all had fairly wide releases (Including as Frankenstein's Kung-Fu Monster in Germany) and there was even a HK English dub produced for the first film. They have their fair share of unique content, like some original monsters and Riderman being a woman.

The same company (I think) also made similar movies based on episodes of Super Robot Mach Baron (Released in some Spanish-speaking countries as a Mazinger Z movie, and over here as The Iron Super Man) and Chaiyo's Jumborg Ace and Giant (Released in some parts as Mars Men).
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Neat!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Just wanted to pop in and say, I hope the cool Jacket design is in the film from the inital announcement. Also need a figureart of that design.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Shin Kamen Rider set for March 2023.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

TRENCHCOATS!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Shinya Tsukamoto!

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:30 pm TRENCHCOATS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U40IUnxsgls
Looking good so far.
Last edited by G-Matt on Thu May 12, 2022 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Anyone care to guess what property Anno will give the Shin treatment next?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:04 pm Anyone care to guess what property Anno will give the Shin treatment next?
He's probably going back to Eva next as he said he has ideas for Eva without Shinji.

Kamen Rider, Ultraman and Godzilla were his big 3 to work on.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:12 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:04 pm Anyone care to guess what property Anno will give the Shin treatment next?
He's probably going back to Eva next as he said he has ideas for Eva without Shinji.

Wasn't 3.0+1.0 supposed to be his farewell to the franchise, if not the end of it in general?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Looks fun!
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:30 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:12 pm

Wasn't 3.0+1.0 supposed to be his farewell to the franchise, if not the end of it in general?
It's the end of Shinji's story. Anno said he has some stories left to tell but Shinji's story is over.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

It seems that In this Shin Kamen Rider, he won’t be able to morph back and forth between forms at will, but rather have to dress up into his suit.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:26 am It seems that In this Shin Kamen Rider, he won’t be able to morph back and forth between forms at will, but rather have to dress up into his suit.
Whoa... goes back to the original body horror aspect; being permanently transformed.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Angilasman wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:35 am
LegendZilla wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:26 am It seems that In this Shin Kamen Rider, he won’t be able to morph back and forth between forms at will, but rather have to dress up into his suit.
Whoa... goes back to the original body horror aspect; being permanently transformed.
I don't know for sure, but it just looks that way from the trailer.