Kamen Rider

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Angilasman
G-Grasper

Re: Kamen Rider

Post by Angilasman »

Sadly, the supply chain gods have pushed back the US release of Ishinomori's manga two weeks to a few days after Christmas! Oh, well.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Black Sun seems to be going for a sort of Shin Prologue aesthetic.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Wild! Can't wait.

Hope we get a domestic release of it and the OG Black in NA!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:08 pm Black Sun seems to be going for a sort of Shin Prologue aesthetic.
Holy moly, that looks sick!
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Last time I watched Kamen Rider was a crossover with MMPrR and one episode of Masked Rider.

Think I'll end up wating for Shin Kamen Rider and maybe working from there.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:59 pm Last time I watched Kamen Rider was a crossover with MMPrR and one episode of Masked Rider.

Think I'll end up wating for Shin Kamen Rider and maybe working from there.
If you like 70s toku you'll dig the first show. I'm a quarter way thru and loving it. I'm told it just keeps getting better too.

Also, anyone here watched the Heisei Shin Kamen Rider at all? It's really interesting, wish it sparked a series. I haven't finished the whole movie but I saw some artwork of Shin in Ichigo's pants, boots belt and helmet that looked incredible:
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

I'm 22 episodes into Kamen Rider Black and this show rocks! It's like a bridge between the totally episodic approach of the original series and the heavily serialized approach of the Heisei-Era shows like Kuuga and Agito.

My exposure to 1980s tokusatsu up to this point has been limited to The Return of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Biollante and Super Monster Gamera, so it's really cool to watch Kamen Rider Black and Ultraman 80 now and see more of 1980s Japan.

I plan to watch Ryuki on Tubi after this, and then 555 on Toku, but I'll definitely seek out Black RX so I can watch it in time for Black Sun.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

SNES drunk reviews Bandai's 1993 Kamen Rider game for Super Famicom.

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

In addition to the soon to be released original manga we'll also be getting an English translated version of the Kuuga manga by a Stonebot Comics along with... brand new comics based on Kamen Rider Zero-One?!

https://mobile.twitter.com/TokuSubRelea ... 1132067849

The fact that Zero-One is the first blu-ray and there's gonna be American Zero-One comics seems to suggest Toei is pushing it as an entry point as the first Reiwa era Rider.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I'm not sure if I'm gonna spring on Shout's Zero One set or not. I remember enjoying the first couple of episodes when I tried watching it around two years ago, but started losing interest around the 20-episode mark, and never went back. I've got a massive crush on Hiroe Igeta, though. If I wind up buying and watching it, it will be for her. :lol:

Albeit, I'm hesitant to support Toei these days given the recent allegations of employee mistreatment and sexual harassment on the set of the latest Rider show (Not to mention that douchebag wearing blackface).
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Media Blasters have apparently secured the rights to the three 1990s Kamen Rider movies (Shin Kamen Rider Prologue, Kamen Rider ZO and Kamen Rider J), in addition to something else (Most likely a BD release for the terrible Kamen Rider: The First and its even-worse sequel).
https://twitter.com/mediablasters1/stat ... 0066124807
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Seems those five (at least) are all but confirmed, available separately and in a limited edition box set! The MB account also says this'll be their flagship release of 2022.

I'm over the moon. MB has been on a role lately and this just feels like them leveling up. An entire series seems like maybe a tall order for such a small company, but these movies are realty a perfect fit. The 2 Amemiya movies have been my most wanted toku for US release for a while, so everything beside them is gravy for me.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Yeah, aside from the first dozen episodes of the original series, Kamen Rider ZO is easily my favorite Rider-related thing.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Are the movies in that MB box set good entry points to the franchise, by chance? I'm interested in giving Kamen Rider a try, but not really looking to add any TV series to my bloated, backlogged list any time soon. Movies are a lot more convenient.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:17 am Are the movies in that MB box set good entry points to the franchise, by chance? I'm interested in giving Kamen Rider a try, but not really looking to add any TV series to my bloated, backlogged list any time soon. Movies are a lot more convenient.
These movies are all self-contained spins on the franchise. Not connected to any of the shows. No prior knowledge necessary.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Shin Kamen Rider #2/Hayato Ichimonji has been officially revealed and... no trenchcoat.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I recently saw a review on Brandon Tenold's YouTube channel for a film called Hanuman and the 5 Riders (although I haven't seen the review yet), which I think is somewhat connected to this series.

Is this film made by the same people who made Hanuman and the 7 Ultra Brothers?

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

mikelcho wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:12 am I recently saw a review on Brandon Tenold's YouTube channel for a film called Hanuman and the 5 Riders (although I haven't seen the review yet), which I think is somewhat connected to this series.

Yup, good ol Chaiyo Group. Difference is they did not have permission from Toei to make Hanuman and the 5 Riders. I haven't got around to subjecting myself and friends watching 5 Riders yet.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:55 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:12 am I recently saw a review on Brandon Tenold's YouTube channel for a film called Hanuman and the 5 Riders (although I haven't seen the review yet), which I think is somewhat connected to this series.

Yup, good ol Chaiyo Group. Difference is they did not have permission from Toei to make Hanuman and the 5 Riders. I haven't got around to subjecting myself and friends to watching 5 Riders yet.
Good one! I'm presuming that both of these films are mostly considered to be in the so-bad-they're-terrible category?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Wait there's 2 Riders in Shin Kamen Rider?
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image