Kamen Rider

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Angilasman
G-Grasper

Re: Kamen Rider

Post by Angilasman »

Still no word on Mediablasters set of KR movies, which the company said would be their flagship release of the year... I'm thinking Fall? In time for the holidays? That's when boutique labels put out their prestige sets, right?

Anyway, the reason I was thinking about it is that I see that they're producing new dubs for some of their releases, including live action. I wonder if they'll do them for some or all of these movies? I'd like that. Dubs are fun!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Kamen Rider Black Sun teaser! Coming to Amazon Prime this fall (hopefully worldwide!).

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/KbjKeiSUe44[/YouTube]

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Angilasman wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:37 pm Kamen Rider Black Sun teaser! Coming to Amazon Prime this fall (hopefully worldwide!).

I'm surprised just how cinematic this looks. Will it be a movie?

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:40 pm
Angilasman wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:37 pm Kamen Rider Black Sun teaser! Coming to Amazon Prime this fall (hopefully worldwide!).

I'm surprised just how cinematic this looks. Will it be a movie?
Series, evidently. And according to Crunchyroll, it will be worldwide.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

WAY more excited for Black Sun over Shin. Black was my first Kamen Rider series and my favorite one.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Between Black sun and Shin looks like good material for entry points.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Is Kamen Rider Black Sun a follow-up to the late 80’s Black duology?

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:38 pm Is Kamen Rider Black Sun a follow-up to the late 80’s Black duology?
I think its more of a reboot/re-telling like Amazons.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

They probably wanted to keep it under their hat until the official announcement, but the commercial for Shout's blu-ray set of Kamen Rider Kuuga is already playing at their booth at Anime Expo and apparently on Tokushoutsu, too!

NO FEAR! NO PAIN!

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

^ It's available to pre-order on Shout's website too!

Released: September 20, 2022

INCLUDES ALL 49 EPISODES! PLUS SUBTITLES (WITH AND WITHOUT GRONGI)!

Plus, pre-order from ShoutFactory.com and receive an exclusive 18"x24" rolled poster (while supplies last)

Discs: 7
From what I've read, I guess the Grongi villains in Kuuga aren't supposed to have most of their dialogue subtitled but Shout's streaming version subtitled everything anyway. I didn't think that ruined the viewing experience at all as a first-time viewer but some fans have said that it spoils things. Does anyone know why that is?

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ when the series originally aired their fictional language wasn't subtitled, leading to more of an air of mystery about the Grongi. Later cable reruns added subtitles to them as a sort of special feature for an already popular show. Hardcore fans think the first way is more true to the intention of the show.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

^ Yeah, that makes sense. Is that all there is to it? Do the Grongi's subtitles inadvertently spoil any plot points that are supposed to be revealed later in the series? I never got that impression when I watched Kuuga for the first time but I wouldn't have known the difference. I didn't even realize that viewers weren't meant to understand the Grongi until after I had finished the series.

Shout's upcoming BRD release will be a great reason to watch the whole show again from the beginning, and I suppose I'll try it without Grongi subtitles.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ I feel their dialog is all pretty obvious. You could get the gist of it without subtitles in my opinion! I think it's more the "air of mystery" than actual mystery. It's a vibe!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Surprise! Surprise! While we've been waiting to see if Shout picks up another series and for Mediablasters to drop a release date for their set Discotek has come from behind and licensed Kamen Rider Black!

https://mobile.twitter.com/discotekmedi ... 3275721729

The complete series, plus a bunch of extras, comes next year to blu-ray!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Well, I'm happy to say I finally watched the first episode of Kamen Rider 1971. I intend to watch the entirety of the first series before Shin Kamen Rider gets released in March. That roughly gives me 1-2 episodes to watch each day. Now is a good time for anyone who hasn't seen it to start.

I won't post my reaction to every single episode, but I really liked episode 1. It quickly introduces the main plot, provides tension and character development, and has action. Despite just taking place in rural Japan, it manages to take advantage of a local dam to give it some flair. I wasn't too surprised by the violence, but it's clear this show will be a little darker than the early ultraman stuff. I'm just worried the show will get repeitive with a villain a week plot.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Seems people are digging Black Sun! I'll get to it after Halloween. Those practical creature effects look excellent!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

For those who don't know Black Sun is on Prime right now. Apparently it dropped over the weekend. Yup it's definitely up. Might give it a whirl when I can.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:15 pm For those who don't know Black Sun is on Prime right now. Apparently it dropped over the weekend. Yup it's definitely up. Might give it a whirl when I can.
Will it come up via search, though? It wasn't when I last tried.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

It came up for me. It's in 4K too. I just searched Black Sun and it was the first thing that came up.

Added in 1 minute 9 seconds:
https://www.amazon.com/EPISODE-8/dp/B0B ... %3D&sr=8-1
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:12 am I might have asked this before, but where should I begin? Ive never watched Kamen Rider. Should I just start with the first series?
Go ahead. Shout Factory posted the entire series on their site.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.