Boutique Blu-ray

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Re: Boutique Blu-ray

Post by Chrispy_G »

canofhumdingers wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:56 pm
Terasawa wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:31 am Huge classic sci-fi news: George Pal's When Worlds Collide and The War of the Worlds coming to UHD in September via Paramount, so reports the Digital Bits.
Heck yeah!!! I watched When Worlds Collide not too long ago with my kids. And boy, that dvd is really showing it’s age…

According to the bits it’ll be a double feature set. That’s a day one purchase for sure!
Gosh, hearing about a 4K presentation is awesome, but that Criterion set was loaded with so many great supplemental material and I have a feeling that the Paramount release will be surprisingly bare bones.
Angilasman wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:21 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:29 am
Angilasman wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:38 am Speaking of Kong: seems like Shout has acquired the rights to King Kong Lives. No official announcement yet.
That's my whole week made if it's true. I've been waiting most of my life to see this one!
Kong fights rednecks. Comically oversized surgery utensils. Square dancing.

I'm very fond of this film.
That's great to hear because it will pair nicely with their release of the 1976 King Kong. Maybe 2023 will see the various labels all dip into the King Kong vault. If Universal strikes a deal with Toho to put the original King Kong vs Godzilla out on 4K here in the US that would be amazing, and they could do a 4K restoration of the US version themselves and include both. Too big of a dream to dream.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

There's no official announcement yet, but it looks like a King Kong ('33) reissue will be coming from Warner Archives. CHFB discussion.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Terasawa wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:25 pm There's no official announcement yet, but it looks like a King Kong ('33) reissue will be coming from Warner Archives. CHFB discussion.
Hope the Criterion 4K rumors end up coming true, figured this one would happen sooner or later and it's weird that the original film isn't perpetually in print.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

In addition to Discotek's live action sublabel, Nihon Nights, they've announce a new tokusatsu sublabel - Toku Time!

First blu-rays will be the complete series of Space Sherrif Gavan and Legend of the Dinosaurs & Monster Birds!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Angilasman wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:31 pm In addition to Discotek's live action sublabel, Nihon Nights, they've announce a new tokusatsu sublabel - Toku Time!

First blu-rays will be the complete series of Space Sherrif Gavan and Legend of the Dinosaurs & Monster Birds!
Fantastic news. Gavan is a show I've always wanted to check out and Monster Birds is long overdue for a new physical release.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

The reunion discussion is apparently very long, described as 'feature length.' Also, in addition to providing an essay, Mike Dent provided artbooks from his own collection to be destroyed in order to create the photo galleries!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Cool. I'll definitely pick up Legend of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds. Apart from seeing it mentioned a few times here and there, it was never really on my radar. I was under the impression it was a Soviet production, actually. Didn't even realize it was Japanese.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ The thing about Legend is that it's technically a kaiju movie, but doesn't feel like it? It's in that era of post-Jaws animal attack movies and it feels it.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Angilasman wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:42 am ^ The thing about Legend is that it's technically a kaiju movie, but doesn't feel like it? It's in that era of post-Jaws animal attack movies and it feels it.
Well, that should be interesting, then. That type of movie but with dinosaurs and Japanese practical effects? Heck of a combination.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

As Brandon Tenold calls it, "the grooviest kaiju movie ever made".
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The most interesting thing about Discotek's announcement is that it implies they inquired about the MST3K episode. If that's the case, then I guess Shout! isn't interested in doing anything with the KTMA episodes (which I guess should have been a foregone conclusion).

And while this movie roundly sucks, it can't be overstated how cool the soundtrack is.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:59 pm
Terasawa wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:25 pm There's no official announcement yet, but it looks like a King Kong ('33) reissue will be coming from Warner Archives. CHFB discussion.
Hope the Criterion 4K rumors end up coming true, figured this one would happen sooner or later and it's weird that the original film isn't perpetually in print.
This reprint is almost certainly being done to sell some units before it is rendered "obsolete" in the market by whatever 4K/90th anniversary collectors edition comes next year.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:25 am The most interesting thing about Discotek's announcement is that it implies they inquired about the MST3K episode. If that's the case, then I guess Shout! isn't interested in doing anything with the KTMA episodes (which I guess should have been a foregone conclusion).

And while this movie roundly sucks, it can't be overstated how cool the soundtrack is.

Was kinda dissapointed that the Soviet fantasy flicks being released don't have the MST episodes as extras - but the latest one, Sampo, does have an interview with Mike Nelson on the involvement between the show and these movies!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:25 am The most interesting thing about Discotek's announcement is that it implies they inquired about the MST3K episode. If that's the case, then I guess Shout! isn't interested in doing anything with the KTMA episodes (which I guess should have been a foregone conclusion).
Isn't there something going on with Joel and crew about the KTMA episodes? That new Kickstarter they had about the Gizmoplex thing? I thought restoring the KTMA episodes was one of the goals. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:06 pm
Isn't there something going on with Joel and crew about the KTMA episodes? That new Kickstarter they had about the Gizmoplex thing? I thought restoring the KTMA episodes was one of the goals. Maybe that has something to do with it.
I didn't follow this Kickstarter so I'm not sure if they mentioned anything about the KTMAs. I know he released the first two KTMA episodes to backers of the 2016 Kickstarter, but I think he's also indicated in the past that he's not interested in making all 21 episodes available; and I think if those two had already been in fan circulation he probably wouldn't have bothered releasing them.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I wouldn't call it a good movie per se, but I still enjoy Legend of the Dinosaurs (it's better enjoyed as a sleazy 70s Toei actioner rather than a typical Kaiju movie) and can't wait to pick this up (along with Gavan). In addition to more Tokusatsu titles (Magic Serpent and Terror Beneath the Sea would rock, as would Prince of Space and Invasion of the Neptune Men...though I'm not sure of their likelihood) I really hope we see more 70s Toei actioners from Discotek, namely Zero Woman (which they released on DVD eons ago), School of the Holy Beast, The Great Chase and Violent Panic: The Big Crash. It seems Discotek has stolen Arrow's thunder as of late.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^ I've been hoping for Magic Serpent from Arrow, since they've proven able and willing to get high quality AIP elements through MGM.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Details for Arrow's Shawscope vol. 2 leaked (all three 36th Chamber films are included!) and apparently they're already making deals to license more of the Shaw library!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Just my two cents worth, but I'd love to see Arrow Video officially release Daiei's films Rainbow Man (1949) and Killer Whale (1962) [btw, this is what Wikizilla is calling The Whale God/Kujira Gami now, so I presume (?) it's finally received an official English-language title in Japan] each on single Blu-rays so I can finish my Daiei giant monster/alien/man-monster (or is it mutant?) collection on U.S. home video.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Angilasman wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:04 pm Details for Arrow's Shawscope vol. 2 leaked (all three 36th Chamber films are included!) and apparently they're already making deals to license more of the Shaw library!
Fingers crossed for Infra-Man, but I can't bring myself to buy the whole set just for the Mighty Peking Man blu-ray.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda