Boutique Blu-ray

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: Boutique Blu-ray

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Angilasman wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:15 pm ^ James Flower confirmed it will be one of the fourteen films on Shawscope vol. 2!
Well, that's a little disappointing. I feel it would have made for a fine standalone release. But I've been meaning to dive deeper into Shaw Bros./HK Cinema in general this year, so I guess that just gives me more reason to buy both volumes...though I have no place to fit them on my shelf!
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ The Shawscope sets are going to be consistent between the US and UK, so the only Shaw singles Arrow will be releasing are ones where they have the rights in only one of those territories!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Angilasman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:48 pm Discotek just announced a new sublabel for Japanese live action genre stuff: Nihon Nights.

First blu-ray is the live action Uzumaki from the early '00s.
Second Nihon Nights release: classic samurai feature Shogun's Samurai, starring Sonny Chiba!

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Not sure if this is the best spot, but I thought this was kind of neat:

Voyage Into Space Blu Ray coming 9/13/22

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JLMW73L/?c ... _lig_dp_it

I have the series DVD from Shout!Factory, but I've never watched this compellation film.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ This is the belated retail release: it's been an online exclusive since last year!

Purzel2205
Samurai

Post by Purzel2205 »

Angilasman wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:36 pm ^ This is the belated retail release: it's been an online exclusive since last year!
Does anyone know what's up with the audio commentary by August Ragone that is being advertised as being part of the release everywhere online?
I have the limited edition slip cover version and its not on there, its not mentioned on the case either. Did he ever actually record a commentary for this release lol?
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Gigantis, the fire monster? I thought not. It's not a story the Toho studios would tell you...

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ He was going to do it, but ended up not being able to for the initial release. It was listed on the original solicitation and product description. I don't think he's posted anything about finally doing it for a further edition, so I think it's just the original wrong info being spread?

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Angilasman wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:36 pm ^ This is the belated retail release: it's been an online exclusive since last year!
If I'd have known this was going to happen, I'd have bought it myself instead of asking for it for Christmas.

Oh, btw, only 1,800 copies were originally made and they're sold out. This will be good for those who couldn't get it the first time around.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I'm surprised there are 1800 people in the world who care enough about it to own it.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

The original King Kong (and Son of Kong, as it were) turns 90 years old next year. Considering that the Blu Ray of that film is OOP and super highly priced on Amazon...something tells me it is absolutely ripe to be given the royal 4K Disc treatment next year.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^Suspicions are that it and some other super-high profile films owned by Warner are joining the Criterion Collection.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Oh I hope so!! I’ve been holding out on buying the King Kong bluray on the aftermarket in hopes of a reissue or a 4K release.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Angilasman wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:34 am ^Suspicions are that it and some other super-high profile films owned by Warner are joining the Criterion Collection.
That would be great. Criterion is often so thorough that it might be a scenario where Son of Kong is even included purely as a "bonus" for the original film. I know one of their Kubrick releases had a whole other Kubrick release as a bonus film, and their Bruce Lee Box Set also included Game of Death II as a bonus feature accompanying the 5 'main' films.

Considering King Kong and Son of Kong were both out in 1933, and that Son of Kong is a mere 69 minutes and not much of a selling point on its own....it may be worth including as part of presentation of King Kong. Dream big, I suppose.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Speaking of Kong: seems like Shout has acquired the rights to King Kong Lives. No official announcement yet.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Huge classic sci-fi news: George Pal's When Worlds Collide and The War of the Worlds coming to UHD in September via Paramount, so reports the Digital Bits.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Angilasman wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:38 am Speaking of Kong: seems like Shout has acquired the rights to King Kong Lives. No official announcement yet.
That's my whole week made if it's true. I've been waiting most of my life to see this one!
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:30 pm I'm surprised there are 1800 people in the world who care enough about it to own it.
Yep, and that included three people...me, myself, and I.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:29 am
Angilasman wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:38 am Speaking of Kong: seems like Shout has acquired the rights to King Kong Lives. No official announcement yet.
That's my whole week made if it's true. I've been waiting most of my life to see this one!
Kong fights rednecks. Comically oversized surgery utensils. Square dancing.

I'm very fond of this film.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:31 am Huge classic sci-fi news: George Pal's When Worlds Collide and The War of the Worlds coming to UHD in September via Paramount, so reports the Digital Bits.
Heck yeah!!! I watched When Worlds Collide not too long ago with my kids. And boy, that dvd is really showing it’s age…

According to the bits it’ll be a double feature set. That’s a day one purchase for sure!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Oooh, we're gonna get a American blu-ray of the British horror TV movie Ghostwatch. Always wanted to see that one.