Boutique Blu-ray

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Boutique Blu-ray

Post by Terasawa »

mikelcho wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:34 pm Just my two cents worth, but I'd love to see Arrow Video officially release Daiei's films Rainbow Man (1949) and Killer Whale (1962) [btw, this is what Wikizilla is calling The Whale God/Kujira Gami now, so I presume (?) it's finally received an official English-language title in Japan] each on single Blu-rays so I can finish my Daiei giant monster/alien/man-monster (or is it mutant?) collection on U.S. home video.
No, it turns out this is the English title it's had since 1962, when it was featured in UniJapan Film Quarterly Vol 5. No. 4. (JFDB link.) UniJapan got its information from the Japanese studios.
Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Peking Man is an interesting curiosity (and has some nice miniature work), but it was my least favorite film on that first set. Five Shaolin Masters, Executioners From Shaolin, and Crippled Avengers were my favorites

I hope the third set focuses on wuxia, since the first two are almost all kung fu. Kung fu flicks are usually contemporary, or at least set in a recent-ish well-defined historical period, and focus on empty hand combat. Wuxia is a genre mostly set in a mythical past featuring valiant nights and focusing on swordplay. Of course, there's a lot of crossover between these two genres!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:15 pm
mikelcho wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:34 pm Just my two cents worth, but I'd love to see Arrow Video officially release Daiei's films Rainbow Man (1949) and Killer Whale (1962) [btw, this is what Wikizilla is calling The Whale God/Kujira Gami now, so I presume (?) it's finally received an official English-language title in Japan] each on single Blu-rays so I can finish my Daiei giant monster/alien/man-monster (or is it mutant?) collection on U.S. home video.
No, it turns out this is the English title it's had since 1962, when it was featured in UniJapan Film Quarterly Vol 5. No. 4. (JFDB link.) UniJapan got its information from the Japanese studios.
Thank you! That's interesting, indeed.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Mondo Macabro has announced a Blu-Ray for the very rare 1965 Toei horror film House of Terrors/Ghost of the Hunchback. Directed by Hajime Sato (Terror Beneath the Sea,Goke: Body Snatcher from Hell), this is the first ever home video release of the film in its original Japanese audio, as far as I can tell. The only available version before this has been dubbed in Italian.
https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=31172
Spoiler:
Also, October and November's Criterion lineups are both fantastic.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:22 pm Mondo Macabro has announced a Blu-Ray for the very rare 1965 Toei horror film House of Terrors/Ghost of the Hunchback. Directed by Hajime Sato (Terror Beneath the Sea,Goke: Body Snatcher from Hell), this is the first ever home video release of the film in its original Japanese audio, as far as I can tell. The only available version before this has been dubbed in Italian.
Spoiler:
The Italian-dubbed version is available on the gray market DVD web site Sinister Cinema. Look on pg. 1 of the thread "Daiei Films and Sinister Cinema" and you'll see it listed there.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Cool. I'm always on the lookout for more obscure Japanese horror to blow money into.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:22 pm Mondo Macabro has announced a Blu-Ray for the very rare 1965 Toei horror film House of Terrors/Ghost of the Hunchback. Directed by Hajime Sato (Terror Beneath the Sea,Goke: Body Snatcher from Hell), this is the first ever home video release of the film in its original Japanese audio, as far as I can tell. The only available version before this has been dubbed in Italian.
Spoiler:
I got really excited for a second after clicking that link: I read in bold text "ORIGINAL ENGLISH AND ITALIAN TRACKS with optional English subtitles," but it turns out that's for another movie. Darn.

I'd bet there's an English dub that has never turned up (or was only released in some country where these things are much harder to research). Toei offered up a lot of properties to be dubbed, and dubs in Western European languages are sometimes indicative of a forgotten or undisclosed English version. Too bad there's no English audio on this release, but that said: I've had an ugly bootleg of the Italian version for years, but I non capisco Italian so I've never made it all the way through. I'll bookmark this and eventually pick it up.

Also, Hajime Sato is such an underrated Japanese cult director. He's not a great artist in any traditional sense, perhaps, but his movies are fucking wild. There's been a kind of Goké renaissance over the last twenty years to the point where it's not totally obscure anymore, but except for that Sato's pretty much unknown today.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I sort of wish the Italian dub were included for sheer posterity’s sake, even if I’ll probably never watch it that way again.
mikelcho wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:00 pmThe Italian-dubbed version is available on the gray market DVD web site Sinister Cinema. Look on pg. 1 of the thread "Daiei Films and Sinister Cinema" and you'll see it listed there.
Well they’re idiots then, considering it’s a Toei film.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Holy mackerel! Other companies have really been pumping out the Asian genre movies in the last few years, but now Shout Factory is re-entering the ring with a boxed set of Sonny Chiba flicks!

(Edit)

... and Company of Wolves in the same month?! Wow!
Last edited by Angilasman on Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Blu-ray.com: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) and Mark of the Vampire (1935) coming in October from the Warner Archive Collection.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Very cool! I somehow have never seen that version of Jekyll despite loving '30s/'40s horror. Can't wait to put it on my shelf alongside my Universals, Mad Love, Island of Lost Souls, Lewtons, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Angilasman wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:08 pm ^ Very cool! I somehow have never seen that version of Jekyll despite loving '30s/'40s horror. Can't wait to put it on my shelf alongside my Universals, Mad Love, Island of Lost Souls, Lewtons, etc.
I rank that version among the very best of 30s horror, up there with the work of James Whale.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ That's what I've always heard! Excited.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

Hell has officially frozen over. Disney is licensing Wall-E to the Criterion Collection for a 4K Blu-ray release:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/e ... r-AA11C4Fv

Not to get my hopes up, but if we get any more Disney-owned films in the CC, I'd be happy.
Friends don't lie.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

John Pannozzi wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:47 pm Hell has officially frozen over. Disney is licensing Wall-E to the Criterion Collection for a 4K Blu-ray release:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/e ... r-AA11C4Fv

Not to get my hopes up, but if we get any more Disney-owned films in the CC, I'd be happy.
Absolutely monumental. Like, this might be the biggest title Criterion has ever licensed. I hope this sells gangbusters for them so we can potentially get some more Disney collaborations in the future. I'd love to see:

- Fantastia
- Song of the South (If anyone would release it...)
- Ratatouille
- Ed Wood (It's a Touchstone movie, technically counts!)
- The Muppet Movie
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Ed Wood I find a distinct possibility.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

If Disney doesn't want Song of the South released they're not going to license it to Criterion.

But I really DO think Jim Henson's three Muppet films need better presentations than they've gotten on home video over the past few decades.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

If we think really big... how's about Criterion releasing the original, theatrical versions of the Star Wars trilogy?

Realistically, this hopefully means Criterion (and potentially other labels) will have easy access to the Fox library. That's huge chunk chunk of classic film. Also, I want my Criterion editions of the original Planet of the Apes and Alien!

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Shout Factory has got some good stuff coming out in the next couple of months. Obviously, we know about Army of Darkness and Evil Dead Remake on 4K, but I cannot wait for their November releases of Piranha on 4K and The Company of Wolves on 4K. If you've never seen the latter, it's amazing one of the best werewolf movies made and very atmospheric.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.