Super7 Godzilla Line

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Super7 Godzilla Line

Post by miguelnuva »

I got Godzilla 57 just because there isn't much figures of him but reaction isn't my cup of tea.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

The only ReAction figure I own is the glow in the dark Jet Jaguar. It's attached to a wire flying over my Godzilla city shelf. I have the bigger Playmates JJ too, so between the two I have the perfect setup. I admit I am slightly biased against the little JJ and other ReActions simply because at the same time I got it, I also got the Playmates giant Godzilla '54, which for the same cost was much better value.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:26 pm I got Godzilla 57 just because there isn't much figures of him but reaction isn't my cup of tea.
This is where I am. I'll pick up thigs from this line if they're super quirky and go well with the style. Like, if they do Mogera or Gezora I'll grab those.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Nothing in the ReAction line has tempted me so far.

However, I think I’ve said it before, but if they did an NES Monster of Monsters video game sub-line in the ReAction series, I’d be all over it. Especially if they did at least one or two new sculpts to match the sprites in the game (namely Godzilla and flying Ghidorah). The rest could just be repaints.

But the card backs would need to mimic or at least take inspiration from the NES game box, obviously.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Fermix wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:08 pm UltramanGoji, are there Toho figures that you might get excited over? I'm pretty hyped to see their Shogun Rodan ReAction, and I would shit a brick if they ever did a Mechatitanosaurus from the Manga.
Shogun Rodan definitely has me on the edge of my seat. Hoping for an Ultimates of that as well! Anything that taps into the vintage (read: pre-2000s) American Godzilla merchandise lot or REALLY out-there Ultimates choices (Orga for example) would grab my attention.

Fuck it, I hope they remake the Shogun Warriors Godzilla figure 1:1. Prices on vintage ones are astronomical these days and I'd love to have one.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:04 pm
Fermix wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:08 pm UltramanGoji, are there Toho figures that you might get excited over? I'm pretty hyped to see their Shogun Rodan ReAction, and I would shit a brick if they ever did a Mechatitanosaurus from the Manga.
Shogun Rodan definitely has me on the edge of my seat. Hoping for an Ultimates of that as well! Anything that taps into the vintage (read: pre-2000s) American Godzilla merchandise lot or REALLY out-there Ultimates choices (Orga for example) would grab my attention.

Fuck it, I hope they remake the Shogun Warriors Godzilla figure 1:1. Prices on vintage ones are astronomical these days and I'd love to have one.
I believe the Super7 director said that would be bia dream figure to remake one day.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Brian also said that he didn't want to make a replication that plummets the value of the originals out in the wild. Maybe a different colourway?

My personal hope is see Rodan and Mechagodzilla join the ULTIMATES! line. I think that form factor lends itself really well to the Shogun stuff while not hogging collectors' shelves.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

canofhumdingers wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:56 pm Nothing in the ReAction line has tempted me so far.
I find the package artwork extremely tempting. I wish the figures were as good as the packaging. Only the 1984 has tempted me, and I'm still on the fence due to the pricing.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

For the Shogun Godzilla, an easy way around the 'original devaluation' problem would be to just change something like the back spines to be different. Godzilla has a ton of variation on those over the years, and Shogun was an odd one anyway, so it wouldn't look out of place. Then anyone who wanted to know could just look at the back plates and say that it was the original run, or the 21st century run or whatever it winds up being called.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Platypus Prime wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:01 am For the Shogun Godzilla, an easy way around the 'original devaluation' problem would be to just change something like the back spines to be different. Godzilla has a ton of variation on those over the years, and Shogun was an odd one anyway, so it wouldn't look out of place. Then anyone who wanted to know could just look at the back plates and say that it was the original run, or the 21st century run or whatever it winds up being called.
I wonder if it could even be as simple as swapping the fist that fires to the left hand instead of the right hand. I will say, I hope they do a reissue of Shogun Rodan because the aftermarket is fucking ridiculous.

As for the chat about ReActions, they are fun little desk buddies. They are not going to be the crown jewel of any collection. I do think that it'll be a line where, once it's 5 or 6 waves deep, you're gonna start getting monsters that people really want and folks regretful that they didn't get into the line sooner.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Fermix wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:27 am
Platypus Prime wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:01 am For the Shogun Godzilla, an easy way around the 'original devaluation' problem would be to just change something like the back spines to be different. Godzilla has a ton of variation on those over the years, and Shogun was an odd one anyway, so it wouldn't look out of place. Then anyone who wanted to know could just look at the back plates and say that it was the original run, or the 21st century run or whatever it winds up being called.
I wonder if it could even be as simple as swapping the fist that fires to the left hand instead of the right hand. I will say, I hope they do a reissue of Shogun Rodan because the aftermarket is fucking ridiculous.

As for the chat about ReActions, they are fun little desk buddies. They are not going to be the crown jewel of any collection. I do think that it'll be a line where, once it's 5 or 6 waves deep, you're gonna start getting monsters that people really want and folks regretful that they didn't get into the line sooner.
I dont know. I think that's doubtful. If people aren't buying these now I don't think they ever will outside of some outliers. Like I even said, if they turn around and do guys like Mogera, Gezora or even Titanosauris, Manda or Varan, I'll pick them up as noveltiies but I don't think I'd ever kick myself for not having Godzillas or Rodans to go with them. These things feel like less figures meant for a cool display (like the Mezco figures) and more like Funko Pops, cute pop culture knick knacks that you throw $20 at and put on your desk.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:38 am
Fermix wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:27 am

I dont know. I think that's doubtful. If people aren't buying these now I don't think they ever will outside of some outliers. Like I even said, if they turn around and do guys like Mogera, Gezora or even Titanosauris, Manda or Varan, I'll pick them up as noveltiies but I don't think I'd ever kick myself for not having Godzillas or Rodans to go with them. These things feel like less figures meant for a cool display (like the Mezco figures) and more like Funko Pops, cute pop culture knick knacks that you throw $20 at and put on your desk.
I don't think it'll be a wide phenomenon, but I am sure you'll see at least a few folks.

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

I really wanted the KOTM poster themed Reaction fig but they never turned up at my Target and now it looks like they're sold out for good everywhere.

Shit.

sphyrna18
Ronin

Post by sphyrna18 »

DrBreakfastMachine wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:50 pm I really wanted the KOTM poster themed Reaction fig but they never turned up at my Target and now it looks like they're sold out for good everywhere.

Shit.
I just saw them in stores on New Years Eve and picked one up, but the store had several in stock. They are still out there.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:23 amAnd in the grand scheme of things they may be inexpensive (especially considering what most Godzila toys cost) but ReAction figures in general are still grossly overpriced for what they are.
Kinda piggy-backing on a discussion happening in another thread, I find it strange that we participate in a hobby where people will shell out hundreds for stylized soft vinyls, but look at a $20 stylized ReAction figure and say "too much money." Things are worth what people are willing to pay for them, and the Toho ReActions consistently being restocked seems to indicate that they are worth the cost of entry.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I'm talking about ReAction in general. Godzilla I can kind of get but some of their other lines featuring human characters just look like the kind of things you'd get from a gumball machine or from a kids playset in a discount store.

I dont know. I remember a time when substantial action figures were $3.50 and playsets were $20-$30. I know times have changed but I can't wrap my brain around why the ReAction line costs so much.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:12 am I'm talking about ReAction in general. Godzilla I can kind of get but some of their other lines featuring human characters just look like the kind of things you'd get from a gumball machine or from a kids playset in a discount store.

I dont know. I remember a time when substantial action figures were $3.50 and playsets were $20-$30. I know times have changed but I can't wrap my brain around why the ReAction line costs so much.
I'm sympathetic to the initial sticker shock, for sure. In addition to the cost of everything going up, I have accepted that kaiju collecting in general is a more expensive hobby given how niche it is.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:12 am I'm talking about ReAction in general. Godzilla I can kind of get but some of their other lines featuring human characters just look like the kind of things you'd get from a gumball machine or from a kids playset in a discount store.
I see the ReAction stuff every now and then when I go to pick up shipping supplies at Target. The Godzilla ones are almost always sold out (I've only seen them in store once or twice) while the rest of the pegs are clogged with mascots from 70s rock bands/sitcoms and the curly haired kid from "Stranger Things".

I figure someone must be buying those, but often wonder if Super7 takes a loss for them as well. ReAction covers a lot of ground but I regularly wonder what the popular franchises are, because a lot of them don't seem to move any product.
Last edited by Creature22 on Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Creature22 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:27 pm
I see the ReAction stuff every now and then when I go to pick up shipping supplies at Target. The Godzilla ones are almost always sold out (I've only seen them in store once or twice) while the rest of the pegs are clogged with mascots from 70s rock bands/sitcoms and the curly haired kid from "Stranger Things".

I figure someone must be buying those, but often wonder if Super7 takes a loss for them as well. ReAction covers a lot of ground but I regularly wonder what the popular franchises are, because a lot of them don't seem to move any product.
Meanwhile, I remain utterly baffled we haven't gotten a line of ReAction Mystery Science Theater 3000 figures.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Poe Ghostal wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:45 pm Meanwhile, I remain utterly baffled we haven't gotten a line of ReAction Mystery Science Theater 3000 figures.
Hey, who needs Tom Servo when you could buy an action figure of Ann Perkins from Parks and Recreation? :lol: