The unofficial random questions thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Re: The unofficial random questions thread

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

For what ever reason you're the new pope and you have free rein to make a bunch of saints. You do choose to become one and what for?

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

kingkevzilla88 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:13 pm For what ever reason you're the new pope and you have free rein to make a bunch of saints. You do choose to become one and what for?
That's, uh, that's not how that works, at least not anymore. There's a whole process where the person's life is rigorously examined to assure their moral character and miracles need to have occurred through them(which also have to be confirmed as legit) before they can be canonized. There is an alternative means called equipollent canonization where the pope skips that process, but it needs to meet one or more of three conditions, those being: 1. Existence of an ancient veneration of the person in question, 2. They need to have been martyred and that has to be confirmed by multiple credible historians, and 3. Consistent and uninterrupted fame as a worker of miracles.

But for the sake of the hypothetical question I'll add on that the rules for canonization have reverted to before say, the 1800s due to time dilation or some other malarkey. That should give you the freedom you need to have at it, so by all means continue. I'm curious to see what y'all come up with.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:28 pm How do you pronounce Cthulhu's name? I always pronounced it as KU-THU-LOO, but apparently that's not how Lovecraft wanted it to be said?
It's an alien name that is impossible to pronounce, Lovecraft had gone on record saying even his preferred way of saying it is not how it actually is pronounced in the alien language, it's just the closest a human can get to pronouncing it.
XxComablack1937xX wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:42 pm
Gigantis wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:24 am Kind of a versus debate related question, but is strength, speed or durability more important in a fight t you?

Durability, Strength, Speed in that order.
Dexterity or finesse would be high up there for me. If you know the right fighting style and how to do it, you can defeat a foe stronger than yoy by getting him/her in an arm lock, headlock, etc.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:38 pm
kingkevzilla88 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:13 pm For what ever reason you're the new pope and you have free rein to make a bunch of saints. You do choose to become one and what for?
That's, uh, that's not how that works, at least not anymore. There's a whole process where the person's life is rigorously examined to assure their moral character and miracles need to have occurred through them(which also have to be confirmed as legit) before they can be canonized. There is an alternative means called equipollent canonization where the pope skips that process, but it needs to meet one or more of three conditions, those being: 1. Existence of an ancient veneration of the person in question, 2. They need to have been martyred and that has to be confirmed by multiple credible historians, and 3. Consistent and uninterrupted fame as a worker of miracles.

But for the sake of the hypothetical question I'll add on that the rules for canonization have reverted to before say, the 1800s due to time dilation or some other malarkey. That should give you the freedom you need to have at it, so by all means continue. I'm curious to see what y'all come up with.
Ok then, I've came up with three new saints.
Stan Lee - patron saint of comic book writers
Colonel Sanders - patron saint of fast food
Edgar Allan Poe - patron saint of Horror fiction

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

would an electronics store or a hardware store have a better surge protector? money's no issue, just want a good product
your source of self destruction

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Two YT related questions

1. how did MatPat go downhill so fast?
2. WTF is up with this stupid Dad YouTube channel and it's even weirder conspiracies?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:28 pm Two YT related questions

1. how did MatPat go downhill so fast?
2. WTF is up with this stupid Dad YouTube channel and it's even weirder conspiracies?
1. Got to too big way too fast and it all went to his head.

2. It either a parody of conspiracy theories, or a CIA effort to discredit the real conspiracies with crazy non sense.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Is there anything that the giant monster/kaiju genre is more popular then because people here tends to treat it like it's at the bottom of the barrel towards everything when it comes to competition.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:41 am Is there anything that the giant monster/kaiju genre is more popular then because people here tends to treat it like it's at the bottom of the barrel towards everything when it comes to competition.
I'm pretty sure hardcore Al Jolson fandom has dropped below Godzilla in numbers at this point.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:41 am Is there anything that the giant monster/kaiju genre is more popular then because people here tends to treat it like it's at the bottom of the barrel towards everything when it comes to competition.
There are plenty of formerly popular sci-fi/action/fantasy franchises that I think Godzilla is currently more popular than. For example, I think it's safe to say Godzilla is currently more popular than Terminator given that (at least in my experience) it's far more present in popular culture and the two Legendary films have outperformed the last two Terminator films which were released around the same time:
- Godzilla (2014) made over $500 million while Terminator: Genisys (2015) grossed under $450 mil.
- King of the Monsters (2019) was considered a box office failure with a gross of less than $400 million but still did much better than Terminator: Dark Fate (also 2019) which made just $260 million on a comparable budget.

Terminator is just one example that came straight to mind. There are a lot of other once-popular franchises (Alien, Ghostbusters, The Matrix) that I think Godzilla has eclipsed since a recent resurgence in interest due to the moderate success of the MonsterVerse films and a cult following for Shin Gojira that expands beyond the kaiju fandom. Obviously, this is all subjective but I think it's safe to say that Godzilla will never have the mainstream appeal of, say, Star Wars, or Harry Potter, or Marvel. When people talk about the Godzilla/kaiju fandom like it's "bottom of the barrel", I think it's in contrast to those mega-popular franchises. Compared to the average sci-fi/horror franchise, I think Godzilla holds its own pretty well.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:11 pmThere are plenty of formerly popular sci-fi/action/fantasy franchises that I think Godzilla is currently more popular than. For example, I think it's safe to say Godzilla is currently more popular than Terminator given that (at least in my experience) it's far more present in popular culture and the two Legendary films have outperformed the last two Terminator films which were released around the same time:
- Godzilla (2014) made over $500 million while Terminator: Genisys (2015) grossed under $450 mil.
- King of the Monsters (2019) was considered a box office failure with a gross of less than $400 million but still did much better than Terminator: Dark Fate (also 2019) which made just $260 million on a comparable budget.

Terminator is just one example that came straight to mind. There are a lot of other once-popular franchises (Alien, Ghostbusters, The Matrix) that I think Godzilla has eclipsed since a recent resurgence in interest due to the moderate success of the MonsterVerse films and a cult following for Shin Gojira that expands beyond the kaiju fandom. Obviously, this is all subjective but I think it's safe to say that Godzilla will never have the mainstream appeal of, say, Star Wars, or Harry Potter, or Marvel. When people talk about the Godzilla/kaiju fandom like it's "bottom of the barrel", I think it's in contrast to those mega-popular franchises. Compared to the average sci-fi/horror franchise, I think Godzilla holds its own pretty well.
Ha! Good!

Given the state that the franchise is in now given that latest installment. If any franchise deserves to be at the bottom of the barrel it's that.

I also had asked this because it seems some folks here were even considering Free Guy serious competition as well as young IPs like John Wick. Hell even Bill & Ted at the time which I didn't even know of at that time and probably only gathered attention due to Keanu Reeve's resurgence. Prior to that resurgence, Bill & Ted seemed like one of those 'cult following' franchises known only by nostalgic people who grew up in the 80s/90s.

You'd personally think being cinemas most iconic monsters and one of them being a symbol of Japan, people would think otherwise with them beating those out...Then again maybe they're just pessimists...
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 7 times in total.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

What's the creepiest thing you've seen in real life?

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

If one were to do a gender-inverse remake of Don Juan DeMarco, which famous (literary or historical) seductress would you use, and who would you want to play her?

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I need help with with fixing an action figure elbow. I got the NECA cartoon Turtles for Christmas and each figure has the same problem, the elbow joints are suck. I've tried using a hair dryer and the hot water trick. They didn't work and I'm scared that if I force them it will break the figures. What should I do?

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Here's one. It deals with The Curse of Frankenstein (1957) and The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958).

Between the two films and after he escaped his execution (which was shown first at the end of the first film and then at the beginning of the second film), why didn't Baron Victor Frankenstein get his revenge on his friend Paul Krempe and his cousin Elizabeth for betraying him? Or did the writers just not remember that detail?
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

mikelcho wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:23 pm Here's one. It deals with The Curse of Frankenstein (1957) and The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958).

Between the two films and after he escaped his execution (which was shown first at the end of the first film and then at the beginning of the second film), why didn't Baron Victor Frankenstein get his revenge on his friend Paul Krempe and his cousin Elizabeth for betraying him? Or did the writers just not remember that detail?
From Wikipedia, summarizing an interview with Jimmy Sangster (who wrote both of these films):
According to Jimmy Sangster James Carreras presold the film in America taking a poster with him. When Carreras returned he approached Sangster with the project asking him to write the sequel. Sangster responded, "I killed (Baron) Frankenstein in the first film." Sangster stated that Carreras told him he had six weeks to write the project before shooting started and that "you'll think of something".
I'm sure the reason Sangster didn't include those characters in RoF wasn't a matter of his having forgotten them. I think it's more likely that he didn't want to or couldn't develop a story in the allotted time that dealt with the Baron getting vengeance on those characters. There may have also been a matter of the actors being unavailable to return, or possibly that their return would have been too costly for Hammer to justify it.

You also have to remember that very few films back then were direct continuations of previous stories. Part of that was out of necessity: the idea was that doing a sequel was limiting your audience for the second (or whatever) film to only those people who'd already seen the first one (or, more precisely, those who'd seen it and who wanted to see more of it).

Nowadays, movie sequels are so prevalent that we kinda use the word "sequel" too liberally. A sequel by definition is a work that continues or develops upon an existing work. Revenge of Frankenstein then isn't so much a sequel as it is just another entry in a series. That was by far the more popular approach in cinema until the 1970s.
Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Thanks, that helps. I didn't realize it was that complex.

I always thought that Revenge was more of a true sequel to Curse than any sequel that came after it in the series because the flashback scene in The Evil of Frankenstein (1964) seemed to make this film and all the others that came after it (except for The Horror of Frankenstein (1970), which was a black comedy remake of Curse) look like sequels to a film that was never made. In other words, there were two major storylines - one containing the first two films of the 1950s, the other containing the four Cushing films of the 1960s and (to a lesser extent) the 1970s.

Indeed, one wonders what would've happened to the Hammer Frankenstein series if 1. Hammer hadn't gone broke and was somehow able to keep in tune with the times and 2. if Terence Fisher and Peter Cushing had both just lived a little bit longer and, thus, been able to carry on with the series.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Hey so I've realized since my final college semester hasn't been kicking my ass as badly as I thought it would, I'd look into yet another hobby. So my question is, do any of you guys have electric guitars? If so, any recommendations for guitars in the $200-$345 range? I've decided I'd try to learn how to play during this whole pandemic thing lol.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Locutus
Yojimbo

Post by Locutus »

How accurate are the Toho Kingdom Bios of thr monsters?

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

anyone here know how to play D&D? I've been watching a lot of lore videos lately and started getting interested in it
Last edited by master_of_monsters on Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
your source of self destruction