The unofficial random questions thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Voyager
Keizer

Re: The unofficial random questions thread

Post by Voyager »

mikelcho wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:39 pm "Deutschland" is the German name for the nation of Germany, just like "Nippon" is the Japanese name for the nation of Japan.
Thanks, but I’m well aware of that. :)
For Emperor and Empire!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:40 am Would it be weird if I sometimes spoke my other languages here? In short bursts?

Manchmal habe ich einfach das Bedürfnis, Deutschland zu sprechen.
日本語がペラペラになればドイツ語を勉強したい。四十歳の頃ドイツでPHDになりたい.

(yes it would be strange). But good luck on the German. I regret not studying more languages when Iw as younger.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MrGameguy
EDF Instructor

Post by MrGameguy »

Is there a self-promotion thread?

Like for say your own Youtube videos?
Originally known as TourettesGigan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MrGameguy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:23 pm Is there a self-promotion thread?

Like for say your own Youtube videos?
There is a thread for posting your website.

If you have a fair number of videos which you'd like to post one at a time, you can start a thread in the Media Center for all of your own videos.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I’m extremely bored, so I’ll ask a question.

Have I ever come across as obnoxious or annoying?
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:04 pm I’m extremely bored, so I’ll ask a question.

Of course. So have I. Everyone does, from time to time.

And for my own random question: did Living Corpse get banned or something? I just realized that he hasn't posted in over a month, which is unusual for him.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:00 am
VoyagerGoji wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:04 pm I’m extremely bored, so I’ll ask a question.

Of course. So have I. Everyone does, from time to time.

And for my own random question: did Living Corpse get banned or something? I just realized that he hasn't posted in over a month, which is unusual for him.
No...I checked and if I'm correct I don't think he is. Hmm, that's concerning. I hope he is alright.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:02 am No...I checked and if I'm correct I don't think he is. Hmm, that's concerning. I hope he is alright.
Hmm. He hasn't posted on his YT channel in two months, either. Hopefully he's just taking a break from the internet or something.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

When do you think India’s gonna have enough of China’s shit? The whole ‘damming up India’s Water Supply’ kinda shit.
For Emperor and Empire!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Do they teach Romaji in Japanese Schools?
For Emperor and Empire!

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Here's a writers rules question:

Why is it universally considered better to 'Show, don't tell'? I don't always agree with this rule and feel at times showing kills pacing of the story for me and sometimes an important detail is better to have a quick exposition sentence rather than a one or two minute scene that slows down the pacing of the narrative. Also, a tail of two cities is considered one of the greatest stories of all time and it's famous for being a 'Tell, don't show' type of story.

Going along with the above example, how much time do you need to be shown before a scene is considered a 'Show, don't tell' scene in a movie or show? I will use KOTM as an example. Everyone claims we are told the destruction by the titans and not shown it. Yet while the footage is brief, we do see Scylla, Behemoth, Methuselah, and the muto wrecking things in cities on newscast footage by the military while Colonel Stenz is giving exposition. Doesn't that count as both showing and telling?
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

darthzilla99 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:56 pm Here's a writers rules question:

Why is it universally considered better to 'Show, don't tell'? I don't always agree with this rule and feel at times showing kills pacing of the story for me and sometimes an important detail is better to have a quick exposition sentence rather than a one or two minute scene that slows down the pacing of the narrative. Also, a tail of two cities is considered one of the greatest stories of all time and it's famous for being a 'Tell, don't show' type of story.

Going along with the above example, how much time do you need to be shown before a scene is considered a 'Show, don't tell' scene in a movie or show? I will use KOTM as an example. Everyone claims we are told the destruction by the titans and not shown it. Yet while the footage is brief, we do see Scylla, Behemoth, Methuselah, and the muto wrecking things in cities on newscast footage by the military while Colonel Stenz is giving exposition. Doesn't that count as both showing and telling?
Here's the thing about rules in writing: They are never, ever absolute (well, except for the one about the rules not being absolute, which is absolute, I guess). Every story has different needs, every storyteller different approaches.

"Show don't tell" engages the audience's imagination, makes the reader/listener/viewer a more active participant, and allows for a more graceful suspension of disbelief. When you want to create an immersive work, the goal is to let your audience feel that they are in the story, rather than being told the story. Think in terms of documentary; would you choose to show a talking head describing an event if you also had footage of the event really occurring?

As "show, don't tell" is a guideline, not a rule, there are definitely no hard lines of what is "too much" or "not enough" in either direction. Rules are valuable, but you have to trust your instincts, as well (and hopefully, with time and practice, you'll internalize the rules that serve your approach and be able to intuit when they apply). You're absolutely right that one sentence of exposition is better than pages/minutes of unnecessary action - if what you're showing is essential for plot but isn't strengthening story, character or theme, then it's best to establish it as economically as possible and move on.

Economy is a key concept here. Most of the time (again, no absolutes), showing rather than telling is going to be the shortest distance between two points. But not always. And maybe you don't always want the shortest distance; sometimes it's nice to enjoy the journey at a slower pace.

I'm not sure if I've entirely answered your question here, but hopefully I've given you something useful to think about.
Last edited by eabaker on Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:51 pm Do they teach Romaji in Japanese Schools?
No? Why would they?...Hypothetically that would also completely dismantle any actual English learning the kids are doing.

And btw, if anyone every tries to teach you romaji if you're studying Japanese (or it appears in a textbook) beyond perhaps an introductory lesson that's a major red flag. Romaji is worthless both for Japanese people and Non-Japanese seriously trying to study Japanese.

The reverse happens too: rather than actually take the time to learn English letters or pronunciation I'll occasionally have kids use katakana as a crutch. In other words they'll write things out and pronounce things in Japanese. An example would be: "I waruku za doggu". It's usually easy to figure out, and it's crippling language development.

If you're gonna learn a language with a different writing system, it's better to try to write and read in that language versus creating your own hydra of a language that while might help you in the short term will mess you up in the long run.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:57 pm
VoyagerGoji wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:51 pm Do they teach Romaji in Japanese Schools?
No? Why would they?...Hypothetically that would also completely dismantle any actual English learning the kids are doing.

And btw, if anyone every tries to teach you romaji if you're studying Japanese (or it appears in a textbook) beyond perhaps an introductory lesson that's a major red flag. Romaji is worthless both for Japanese people and Non-Japanese seriously trying to study Japanese.

The reverse happens too: rather than actually take the time to learn English letters or pronunciation I'll occasionally have kids use katakana as a crutch. In other words they'll write things out and pronounce things in Japanese. An example would be: "I waruku za doggu". It's usually easy to figure out, and it's crippling language development.

If you're gonna learn a language with a different writing system, it's better to try to write and read in that language versus creating your own hydra of a language that while might help you in the short term will mess you up in the long run.

Just asking a question, man -_-
For Emperor and Empire!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:01 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:57 pm

Just asking a question, man -_-
And I'm answering. ;)

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Well, I’m not a well-versed language aficionado, so I’ll ask a new question.

What bear is best? ;)
For Emperor and Empire!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:07 pm Well, I’m not a well-versed language aficionado, so I’ll ask a new question.

What bear is best? ;)
I'm gonna go with Winnie the Pooh on this one, although there are strong cases to be made for both Yogi and Baloo.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

eabaker wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:09 pm
VoyagerGoji wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:07 pm Well, I’m not a well-versed language aficionado, so I’ll ask a new question.

What bear is best? ;)
I'm gonna go with Winnie the Pooh on this one, although there are strong cases to be made for both Yogi and Baloo.
Ummm, you know you’re wrong, right? Everyone knows that Fozzie Bear is the best, followed by Smoky.
For Emperor and Empire!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/gal ... paddington

List of top 10 fictional bears is underwhelming and sparse.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:19 pm https://www.theguardian.com/culture/gal ... paddington

List of top 10 fictional bears is underwhelming and sparse.
No Katahdin? The hell kind of a sick joke is this?
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"