TRANSFORMERS: The Thread

General discussion for all non-Toho, non-Kaiju collectibles!
Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Re: TRANSFORMERS: The Thread

Post by Houndoom »

Omegamorph wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:59 am
Houndoom wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:25 pm I think so on Target, I'm considering it because Blackout was honestly what got me really into transformers. SO many account names used to just be Blackout
I grew up with BW, RID and Armada, but Blackout and Scorponok are definitely among my favourite Bayformers. The insectile alien quality is just intoxicating
How is RID? I'm meaning to get back into the toys and just wanna watch something that isn't G1.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

Houndoom wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:14 am How is RID? I'm meaning to get back into the toys and just wanna watch something that isn't G1.
It's basically a TF shonen for a very young audience. If you can get past that, it's pretty good. Skybite is the highlight of the show, as is the Sideburn/Prowl/X-Brawn brotherly dynamic. They made Grimlock into an excavator for whatever reason tho

If you want a better anime TF, Armada is frankly amazing if you get past the Minicon gimmick

and honestly, I love Beast Machines, but it's not everyone's cup of tea due to the tone change. But BM Megatron is by far the most deliciously evil TF villain of all time...
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Omegamorph wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:15 pm They made Grimlock into an excavator for whatever reason tho
Trademark enforcement. In Japan the character was known as "Build Hurricane".

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:46 pm Trademark enforcement. In Japan the character was known as "Build Hurricane".
Oh wow, that's new. Way cool

so a similar reason Shockwave becomes Shockblast in the Unicron trilogy?
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

Houndoom wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:36 am Bump for Legacy Generations!

Probably going to pick up Knock Out and Kickback, kinda hesitant on getting Motormaster though till I see some Menasor pictures with him and the other Stuntacons
A bit late, but I have Motormaster/Menasor and Dragstrip and they're fantastic (especially Motormaster, definitely the most fun I've had transforming a Transformer in every mode). I would absolutely get it if you really want it. Unfortunately, I've heard of some QC issues, mine doesn't have any, but be wary of that.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Post by Houndoom »

GodzillavsZilla wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:00 pm

Probably going to pick up Knock Out and Kickback, kinda hesitant on getting Motormaster though till I see some Menasor pictures with him and the other Stuntacons
A bit late, but I have Motormaster/Menasor and Dragstrip and they're fantastic (especially Motormaster, definitely the most fun I've had transforming a Transformer in every mode). I would absolutely get it if you really want it. Unfortunately, I've heard of some QC issues, mine doesn't have any, but be wary of that.
Yeah I’m thinking about biting the bullet on it, but what QC problems does it have?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Omegamorph wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:22 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:46 pm Trademark enforcement. In Japan the character was known as "Build Hurricane".
Oh wow, that's new. Way cool

so a similar reason Shockwave becomes Shockblast in the Unicron trilogy?
Kind of. "Shockblast" came about because Hasbro didn't have the trademark at the time for "Shockwave". A lot of the late 90's/early 2000's "nameslaps" in stuff like RID2001 or the Unicron Trilogy came about because Hasbro wanted to keep the trademarks for certain recognizable names. That's why characters like Energon Prowl or Ironhide are totally different from their original G1 incarnations. In recent years, Hasbro has been more strict about having legacy names stick with their most recognizable (usually G1) characterizations, for example Prowl will almost always be a police car of some sort and Ironhide will almost always be an older red Autobot.

You also have to keep in mind that shows like RID2001 and the Unicron Trilogy differ vastly depending on their respective versions (English/Japanese). RID2001 was an entirely Japanese-made show airing in the country at the same time Beast Machines was in America while the Unicron Trilogy shows were co-productions with Takara. Most Japanese versions of these shows had more unique and original names compared to their American counterparts which were mostly just older name reuses used sparingly. I already mentioned RID01 Grimlock/Build Hurricane but there were also other examples like RID01 Scourge being called "Black Convoy" in Japan, Armada Smokescreen going by "Grap", or Cybertron Menasor's name being "Moledive".

One of the funnier examples of this dichotomy is in the Armada cartoon: in the show, the Mini-Cons give some of the Autobots and Decepticons power-ups in one episode, with Starscream being one of them. In Japan, Starscream's new form was simply known as "Starscream Super Mode" with the toy being called the same.

When it was released into America however, Hasbro decided to turn it into an entirely separate character and called it "Thundercracker":

...which resulted in the cartoon's English dub having Starscream rather randomly remark that his new upgrade made him "look like Thundercracker", a character that never appeared in the Armada show at all.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

Houndoom wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:06 pm
GodzillavsZilla wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:00 pm

Yeah I’m thinking about biting the bullet on it, but what QC problems does it have?
The most frequent issue I've seen is yellowing, where white or grey plastic turns yellow over time from sunlight exposure, but some people have been having that happen out of the box (which isn't a problem exclusive to Motormaster, it's an unfortunate issue with a lot of recent Transformers toys). I haven't had this happen to any I've gotten, but it's something to look out for.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:14 pm Kind of [...]
Wow! I never knew any of this. Fascinating! Thanks :D

I don't recall Starscream making that in-joke in Armada, perhaps because our dub was based on the Japanese original, or because it's been years. IDK time for a rewatch I guess
Last edited by Omegamorph on Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Post by Houndoom »

Recently got Generations Legacy Kickback and Dragstrip. Really loving Kickback being an actual big figure. I know Bombshell got leaked so hopefully we can get Shrapnel as well to complete the bug boys. Dragstrip is neat, but I'm considering an upgrade pack for him. Still hunting that Motormaster in stores, I'd buy him online but I already know I'd get the faulty lot number one if I did.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

A look at the first draft of TRANSFORMERS:The Movie.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Gojirasaur
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirasaur »

Houndoom wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:19 pm Recently got Generations Legacy Kickback and Dragstrip. Really loving Kickback being an actual big figure. I know Bombshell got leaked so hopefully we can get Shrapnel as well to complete the bug boys. Dragstrip is neat, but I'm considering an upgrade pack for him. Still hunting that Motormaster in stores, I'd buy him online but I already know I'd get the faulty lot number one if I did.
I had one part that was slightly discolored from Target, but not the kind of yellowing others had from other retailers. Still, given time...who knows what I'll end up with. :roll:

Cosmos, meanwhile is sheer craziness. I love the guy, and it kills me he's essentially a Walmart exclusive in the USA when I have no Walmarts (New York City), and the closest is generally like a hurricane passed though (NO chance of TFs). Had he only been a Target exclusive...

Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Post by Houndoom »

Gojirasaur wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:16 am
Houndoom wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:19 pm Recently got Generations Legacy Kickback and Dragstrip. Really loving Kickback being an actual big figure. I know Bombshell got leaked so hopefully we can get Shrapnel as well to complete the bug boys. Dragstrip is neat, but I'm considering an upgrade pack for him. Still hunting that Motormaster in stores, I'd buy him online but I already know I'd get the faulty lot number one if I did.
I had one part that was slightly discolored from Target, but not the kind of yellowing others had from other retailers. Still, given time...who knows what I'll end up with. :roll:

Cosmos, meanwhile is sheer craziness. I love the guy, and it kills me he's essentially a Walmart exclusive in the USA when I have no Walmarts (New York City), and the closest is generally like a hurricane passed though (NO chance of TFs). Had he only been a Target exclusive...
I'll keep you in mind if I come across one and I could just send you one.

Gojirasaur
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirasaur »

Houndoom wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:43 pm

Thanks!

Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Post by Houndoom »

Gojirasaur wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:40 pm
Houndoom wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:43 pm

Thanks!
Yeah nothing, but I got some Velocitron 500 stuff.

Recently traded in some pokemon cards at a local store to get some new figures and got Laser Optimus and Blitzwing. Both are really nice, really have an itch for non G1 stuff so G2 Optimus is really nice.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

.so excited... today is finally the day my Haslab Victory Saber is arriving! I backed Deathsaurus as well. That campaign ends today.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

https://news.tfw2005.com/2022/12/12/tra ... ges-472121

Nightbird looks pretty good! And I'll even give it to them on Wheeljack too.

EarthNeronga
Gotengo Officer

Post by EarthNeronga »

Hey everyone question?

Who do you think was the most wasted autobot and decepticon in the Live Action Transformers movies?

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

the new fallen from SS is fuckin amazing

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

EarthNeronga wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:19 pm Hey everyone question?

Who do you think was the most wasted autobot and decepticon in the Live Action Transformers movies?
Autobot? Que/Wheeljack. Unpopular opinion but I liked Que well enough as his own guy.

'Con would EASILY be Soundwave.

Edit: gonna actually change the deception to Blitzwing.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.