Ultras Discussion Thread: New-Gen Heroes

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Ultras Discussion Thread: New-Gen Heroes

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Ultras that debuted from Ginga to Taiga. Not including Z, just cause he seems to be the start of a new thing and also just because there’s already other threads talking about him and his forms and all that.

So, my personal faves of the New-Gen would have to be Orb and Geed. Kickass forms and abilities, and they had great character arcs throughout their respective series.

Overall I quite like the New-Gens, I don’t really mind the merch-driven aspect of them too much. Haven’t watched all their shows, but I do like the Ultras themselves.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Ultras Discussion Thread: New-Gen Heroes

Post by Gigantis »

Favorite's gonna go to Geed. Awesome design, great backstory (though maybe not the most original one, but the show made it work) and great transformations to work with. Ginga's galaxy motif puts him in second place though.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I haven't watched any Heisei-era (political era) Ultraman shows at all but I'll have to give this one to Geed since all of his forms look fantastic. Also, his origin of being Belial's son is really intriguing and I hope it was executed well in the show.

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

Rewatching Ginga S and during the Chigusa episode I’m just now noticing her idol pose is the Ginga Cross Shoot lol
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

So...I didn't see a dedicated thread for Ultraman Taiga, so I figured I'd post here... Since there's no indication that TPC will extend their deal with and MC will release anything beyond the last 6 planned releases, I decided to finally sit down and watch Taiga because its the one modern era series I've missed. As it turns out, I ended up liking this way more than I anticipated. The team being small meant more character development. The whole plot about helping Aliens in a world that is prejudiced against them (even though some of them are evil) was cool, and different. Tregear wasn't really that impressive an antagonist, but I like how things played out overall. It was definitely a solid entry in the New Gen Era

I still haven't seen the film yet, but I'm hoping to soon.

Basically of all the New Gen series, I've liked them to varying degrees, but if I had to rank them.... (best to worst)

1. Orb
2. Geed
3. Taiga
4. X
5. Z
6. Ginga S
7. Ginga
8. Trigger
9. R/B

Decker obviously I'll wait until completion to judge.
Last edited by o.supreme on Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

New Generation Ultraman is easily my biggest, secret guilty pleasure. This is the stuff I generally don't show anyone I know in person "hey, check this out" if we're just BSing or hanging out. With that said, I LOVE it. It's so damn nice to have stuff like new episodes and new/returning kaiju every week for a good chunk of the year makes weeks go by nice. It sucks when a series sucks (R/B and Trigger namely), but even then, I looked forward to the new episodes. If/when New Generation ends and the franchise goes on another break, I don't know what I'll do. Hoping it doesn't happen.

I LOVE a ton of the New Generation kaiju. Galactron, Gargorgon, Maga Orochi, Zegan, Five King, Greeza, Zaigorg, Hellberus... All some of my favorite kaiju now. Not to mention the chimera kaiju like Skull Gomora and new versions of classic kaiju like Decker's sphere versions of Gomora and Red King. I do wish we'd see some more returning kaiju from the Heisei era... Still waiting on Goldras and Silvagon to appear. But when they do bring long forgotten faces back, it really feels like a special occasion. Pagos' grand return after over half a century was rivaled only by the totally unexpected return of Powered Dada in Trigger, marking one of the best episodes of the series. I NEVER thought Gymaira from 80 would come back, and then he did in Taiga. And it was just awesome for me because Gymaira is my favorite 80 kaiju.

My favorite series in order of favorite to least

1. Orb
2. Geed
3. Z
4. X (Decker is around here right now)
5. Taiga
6. Ginga S
7. Trigger
8. R/B
9. Ginga

I also LOVE how each series ('cept for Z...) gets its own movie, giving me another semi-decent kaiju movie to look forward to.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

It’s nice now to have enough new series to have more clearly defined tiers.

1) Z
2) Orb
3) Geed
4) Taiga
5) Ginga
6) Ginga S
7) X
8) Trigger
9) R/B

Decker on trajectory of Top 3 easily.
Last edited by Saturndusk on Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.