What would Shin Gamera be?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

What would Shin Gamera be?

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

We all know that the point of these Shin movies is to portray the pure concept of the titular kaiju. Shin Godzilla is a suffering creature mutated by nuclear radiation and Shin Ultraman is a extraterrestrial incarnation of light and justice. In that case, what would a Shin Gamera be?

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: What would Shin Gamera be?

Post by Gigantis »

Something akin to a "knight in shining armor" with his scales being said armor.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

RIP Evan.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Well, considering Gamera's "pure concept" is a friend to all children...I'd rather not know.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Well, considering Gamera's "pure concept" is a friend to all children...I'd rather not know.
Oh dear God.

A friend to children?

Truly a nightmarish concept

RIP Evan.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I think in a way Heisei Gamera was "Shin Gamera."

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I'm not really entitled to discuss this since I haven't gotten around to watching Gamera's films, but I'm a little skeptical of the Heisei series being Shin Gamera, despite it being the closest thing we have to one, in that the turtle's debut appearance was still antagonistic, which is not the case for the trilogy. My only other point is that depending on how far we interpret the title "Shin" implying modernization along with purification of original design philosophy, a Shin Gamera might need to somehow incorporate that the character is the byproduct/imitation of a pr-existing genre.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Go back to the original - a threat. That Gamera saves ine kid on a whim and killed how many doing the whole city destruction thing? That Gamera was no hero. If we're going back to the original concept, nix everything since and make Shin Gamera bad news.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Image
Beat me too it, but yeah Shin Gamera is the Heisei trilogy.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

A red, skeletal Gamera with oversized thighs and tail, undersized arms, a split jaw, and purple fireballs spamming out of places you didn't even know he had places. Human-sized clones armed with ninja weaponry periodically spawn out of his tail and terrorize Tokyo in a mindless quest for pizza.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

JAGzilla wrote:...in a mindless quest for pizza.
Wrong turtle.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Gamera doesn't have the strong conceptual background that Godzilla and Ultraman do; his connection to children is the most defining trait, and that sub-plot completely contrasted the rest of the original film.
I'm inclined to agree the the trilogy - especially Gamera 3 - largely fills the "Shin" role already, both in the monster's design and in repesenting his key characteristics.
Last edited by Rody on Thu May 14, 2020 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Gamera the Brave is Shin Gamera.

It plays out as if Toshiro's perception of events in the first movie were real, with an apparently ordinary turtle growing to massive size.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

I think from the proof of concept trailer, just more snapping turtlesque.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Ya'll know the original creator of Gamera HATED the Heisei trilogy right? So it'd definitely be NOTHING like those and, if anything more akin to The Brave.

Edit: Didn't realize I just necro'd this, lmao.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Wed May 19, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

If they did do a Shin Gamera, they would probably have to take note from shows such as Stranger Things for the child angle to work properly. I am thinking maybe something of a hybrid of both the Showa and Heisei series, only substituting a teenage girl (Asagi) with a preteen boy (as seen in all but one of the Showa Gamera films) to form a psychic bond with Gamera.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed May 19, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

A mistake :angel:

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I've said it elsewhere, and went into reasons why there, so I'm just going to reiterate - I disagree with the Heisei movies being "Shin" Gamera.

Added in 1 minute 46 seconds:
goji89 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:02 pm A mistake :angel:
Disagree - Shin Godzilla is one of my favorite movies, Shin Ultraman looks like it'll be pretty cool, and the art for Shin Kamen Rider is neat. I don't think Shin Gamera would be a mistake, I think leaving Gamera in limbo is the mistake.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Vakanai wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:05 pm I've said it elsewhere, and went into reasons why there, so I'm just going to reiterate - I disagree with the Heisei movies being "Shin" Gamera.

Disagree - Shin Godzilla is one of my favorite movies, Shin Ultraman looks like it'll be pretty cool, and the art for Shin Kamen Rider is neat. I don't think Shin Gamera would be a mistake, I think leaving Gamera in limbo is the mistake.
Well, you got me there not gonna lie. Leaving Gamera in limbo is the biggest mistake coming out of Japan right now.
*In before someone comes in with the history of Japan and shyt*
Movie movie wise.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

goji89 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:42 pm
Vakanai wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:05 pm I've said it elsewhere, and went into reasons why there, so I'm just going to reiterate - I disagree with the Heisei movies being "Shin" Gamera.

Well, you got me there not gonna lie. Leaving Gamera in limbo is the biggest mistake coming out of Japan right now.
*In before someone comes in with the history of Japan and shyt*
Movie movie wise.
At most, we'll probably see a Gamera Pachinko Machine and a Gamera teacup ride at a carnival somewhere in Japan.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira