Is a Gamera Reboot(Japanese or US) inevitable?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Re: Is a Gamera Reboot(Japanese or US) inevitable?

Post by Chrispy_G »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:05 am Guys. C'mon. The best Hollywood director for Gamera is OBVIOUSLY Michael Bay.
He would certainly put the same "This is going to be COMMERCIALLY VIABLE" coat of paint on it that he did with Transformers.

He is far from a perfect director, but I absolutely have grown to miss his "tough guys, hot babes, explosions and flashy visuals" type of style. It filled a spot and I would be lying if I said I didn't miss it.

Honestly, in all seriousness he isn't a good fit for the brand, but it would certainly probably be a hit with the masses no matter how much the hardcore fans were let down.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Imagine if a Hollywood Gamera film ended up being superior to any Hollywood Godzilla film. If Guillermo Del Toro was at the director's chair, I'd buy it as a possibility. Plus, it's not like Gamera beat Godzilla at his own game before.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue May 03, 2022 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:30 pm Imagine if a Hollywood Gamera film ended up being superior to any Hollywood Godzilla film. If Guillermo Del Toro was at the director's chair, I'd buy it as a possibility. Plus, it's not like Gamera beat Godzilla at his own game before.
How much I'd love for lightning to strike twice.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:30 pm Imagine if a Hollywood Gamera film ended up being superior to any Hollywood Godzilla film.
I mean it's not like that would be a hard hurdle to leap.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Gojira »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:30 pm Imagine if a Hollywood Gamera film ended up being superior to any Hollywood Godzilla film. If Guillermo Del Toro was at the director's chair, I'd buy it as a possibility. Plus, it's not like Gamera beat Godzilla at his own game before.
Make it happen, Legendary. Please make it happen.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legendary Gojira wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:21 pm
Would you buy it if were another studio?

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

LegendZilla wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:56 pm
Legendary Gojira wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:21 pm
Would you buy it if were another studio?

Sure. I’d rather Gamera be in the MonsterVerse, but if another studio got the rights, I’d be for it. Especially if del Toro was attached to it.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:37 pm
How much I'd love for lightning to strike twice.
That and in the same place, obviously.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I don't want it in the Monsterverse, where Gamera is just demoted down to another "Godzilla" monster for the big G to beat down for shits and giggles. I would rather see Gamera be a star of his own franchise, like the Meg or Rampage. I just don't care for the fandom's need to put everything into one universe and hype crossovers over good movies. Rampage and the first Pacific Rim prove we can still have nice solo things.

I'm fine with Del Toro directing, but it's not a "only he can deliver a great Gamera movie" situation, and I honestly would love to hear other suggestions.

I think Matt Reeves could do a good job. He's clearly interested in the genre cause Cloverfield, but I don't think he'd do Gamera in the same found footage style - he's done Planet of the Apes and Batman since then. I'd like to see how he'd do Gamera.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Vakanai wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:51 pm I don't want it in the Monsterverse, where Gamera is just demoted down to another "Godzilla" monster for the big G to beat down for shits and giggles. I would rather see Gamera be a star of his own franchise, like the Meg or Rampage. I just don't care for the fandom's need to put everything into one universe and hype crossovers over good movies. Rampage and the first Pacific Rim prove we can still have nice solo things.

I'm fine with Del Toro directing, but it's not a "only he can deliver a great Gamera movie" situation, and I honestly would love to hear other suggestions.

I think Matt Reeves could do a good job. He's clearly interested in the genre cause Cloverfield, but I don't think he'd do Gamera in the same found footage style - he's done Planet of the Apes and Batman since then. I'd like to see how he'd do Gamera.
I agree that Gamera should not be included in the Monsterverse.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Gamera will come back sooner or later but I don't think it will as part of the MV. No way.

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

If Gamera won’t be in the MonsterVerse, I’d love for him to be in the Pacific Rim universe. He’d fit right in perfectly.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:56 am Gamera will come back sooner or later but I don't think it will as part of the MV. No way.
Just anything. I'd settle for another Japanese-released film as a means of him making a return.

Hope it'd take cues from the Heisei Trilogy because the Atlantean origin fits the character best.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue May 17, 2022 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

If not Legendary, I’m not sure what other Hollywood studio would be interested in a Gamera movie.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Garzon wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:51 am If not Legendary, I’m not sure what other Hollywood studio would be interested in a Gamera movie.
TBH probably none, which is entirely the reason why Gamera's comeback is most likely gonna be a Japanese production to begin with. He's just not valuable for any big name American company to tackle.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I think he would fit well in MV but he’ll be a Alien from space hunting from Gyaos who are also from space. But the Gyaos are attached to Ghidorah call and are now going to earth because of that.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

Gigantis wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:28 pm
Garzon wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:51 am If not Legendary, I’m not sure what other Hollywood studio would be interested in a Gamera movie.
TBH probably none, which is entirely the reason why Gamera's comeback is most likely gonna be a Japanese production to begin with. He's just not valuable for any big name American company to tackle.
I could see Legendary possibly taking a chance with him, just so they could have more content for the MonsterVerse, but otherwise, yeah, Gamera is far too niche for Hollywood.

GoKelley85
Yojimbo

Post by GoKelley85 »

I hope we get a Gamera reboot.

The Super Turtle has been on the shelf way too long.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I think the best way to introduce him to American audiences would be to have him be a main kaiju in a "Godzilla vs Kong' sequel. So basically, a "Godzilla vs Kong vs Gamera" film.
Please let it happen Legendary! I know this forum and the kaiju fanbase would go nuts if Legendary announced that.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Anguirus wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:17 pm I think the best way to introduce him to American audiences would be to have him be a main kaiju in a "Godzilla vs Kong' sequel. So basically, a "Godzilla vs Kong vs Gamera" film.
Please let it happen Legendary! I know this forum and the kaiju fanbase would go nuts if Legendary announced that.
I think that would be a very bad idea. Let Gamera be solo for now and do his own thing apart from the Monsterverse.