Is a Gamera Reboot(Japanese or US) inevitable?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
UltramanGoji

Re: Is a Gamera Reboot(Japanese or US) inevitable?

Post by UltramanGoji »

Toho is currently being investigated for violating Japanese anti-trust laws so they're in no position to be buying any other studios.

Not that such a proposition isn't fucking moronic to begin with.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

The "I don't care who owns it as long as we get more" mentality can be incredibly dangerous.

I remember being all for the Disney-Star Wars purchase and the notion of getting more Star Wars. Now we are in an ocean of mostly mediocre Disney Star Wars content. For every iconic moment like the Mano S2 finale, for every good movie like Rogue One.....you get a completely botched sequel trilogy, entire seasons of Bad Batch and Visions that are just there, or very mixed bags like Book of Boba Fett. It leaves the brand watered down and diluted.

Lord of the Rings is the same. You have an iconic and pristine original trilogy. Followed by an uninspired trilogy of Hobbit films and an awful amazon series. The final result is it lowers and damages the legacy of the original property. Saying "I'm a Lord of the Rings fan" in 2023 will represent something very different than saying the same thing in 2003. In 2003 EVERYONE was a Lord of the Rings fan, in 2023 I don't think many people will say that proudly.

To bring us back around. Godzilla. The Monsterverse and Shin Godzilla were great for the legacy. Whether it was critical acclaim, commercial success, or creating a new wave of appeal for a modern generation...they were 'value adds' to the legacy and mythos. As 'interesting' and 'unique' as they were...I don't think the Anime Trilogy or Anime Series did great things for Godzilla's legacy.

I would be all for a new Gamera project that was focused and carefully done. I don't want a rush job of a bunch of projects just to put Gamera back out there. I don't just want "Gamera brand ensures X level of return on a Y level of investment regardless of quality."

Whoever calls these shots, make one decision on the best way to go forward. If they want a high production value Shin Godzilla-esque Japanese reboot, go that route. If they want to commit to a big US production, go that route and shepherd that vision. If you want some kind of Gantz:0 Anime film, or some kind of Demon Slayer level traditional animation...then focus on that and go that route.

I want something....but most importantly I want it to be something genuinely good, and carefully handled that will add to and enhance the standing of the series.

The Heisei Trilogy and even the Arrow Releases have gone a long way toward honoring and sort of improving the status of the franchise. WHATEVER the next project is needs to be handled carefully and aim to do the same thing...not just be 'more off the assembly line' just for the sake of it.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Seeing a new Gamera movie to be made would surely bring some joy to my heart.

The new Godzilla-related productions (aside of Shin and the MV), have been of no real interest to me. Hearing or reading about Godzilla brings certain production standards and habits to mind. Don't know about you people but seeing a CG Gamera wouldn't be what I would imagine or like to happen.
And honestly even if they did one, I dunno if I wanted to see a new movie or series or whatever to be made like this.

The Gamera trilogy is a timeless classic and with each movie having such a different genre and tone while still managing to be connected not only plot-wise but also in case of quality, manages to entertain fans of any generations to come. Which is also because of it being so well made.

Maybe some movies and franchises just shouldn't be brought back. It's the same with IPs like Indiana Jones. The trilogy had a strong run in the 80s. Meanwhile the fourth is for sure entertaining but mostly just a sign for how some franchises are better left untouched after being milked fully.

What could Gamera deliver he didn't already in his movies so far? We had the classics, which went from classic horror/monster film to flashy weird sci-fi adventure, the trilogy consisting of an adventure, a war and a spiritual horror movie and the comeback with The Brave that paid homage while telling some kind of drama about friendship and trust.

Considering how Gamera is pretty much caught in his role, it will be hard to tell any kind of a new story without repeating what has been done already nor without making fans angry. Godzilla can be depicted in so many different and diverse ways as he has always been. Unlike Gamera he never had a tight basis of behaviours and character traits. In his first five movies he went from serious, natural disaster-like montrosity, over a feared beast with animalistic traits to a clumsy douche and finally an unexpected ally, grumpy and destructive but sincere.

But well, no matter what, if Kadokawa or whoever it may be, decides to produce a new film or media, I'll gladly follow up on what they are planning. It's just that I don't see any need for bringing good ol' Gamera back. Unlike with Godzilla he has already seen and done everything we needed to see of him imo.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Dyrakro wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:07 pm What could Gamera deliver he didn't already in his movies so far? We had the classics, which went from classic horror/monster film to flashy weird sci-fi adventure, the trilogy consisting of an adventure, a war and a spiritual horror movie and the comeback with The Brave that paid homage while telling some kind of drama about friendship and trust.

Considering how Gamera is pretty much caught in his role, it will be hard to tell any kind of a new story without repeating what has been done already nor without making fans angry. Godzilla can be depicted in so many different and diverse ways as he has always been. Unlike Gamera he never had a tight basis of behaviours and character traits. In his first five movies he went from serious, natural disaster-like montrosity, over a feared beast with animalistic traits to a clumsy douche and finally an unexpected ally, grumpy and destructive but sincere.

But well, no matter what, if Kadokawa or whoever it may be, decides to produce a new film or media, I'll gladly follow up on what they are planning. It's just that I don't see any need for bringing good ol' Gamera back. Unlike with Godzilla he has already seen and done everything we needed to see of him imo.
That's odd...I feel there is much more real estate to explore with Gamera than with Godzilla. Godzilla has been thoroughly explored and in some ways he is the monster that feels a little more played out. Pushing 40 films. ANY Godzilla reboot or new entry comes with so much...baggage. So many fans have their hearts and minds set on what is 'essential' and what is not with Godzilla. I think Godzilla vs Kong is just...sublime, while others hated it. I LOVED Shin Godzilla while others hated. I really have a hard time with the Anime Trilogy and some enjoyed the departure.

I think with Godzilla, you have a LOT more people who are a lot more 'married' to their 'vision' of Godzilla, and any new iteration with a deviation away from that creates problem.

For some...absolute fealty to the original is paramount. Dark, gritty nuclear parable or else you are not 'being true to the roots'...for others, the spectacle and more light-hearted entertainment is what Godzilla became and where Godzilla does his best work. I certainly prefer KOTM 2019 and GvK over 2014 any day of the week...despite my love of G14. For some Godzilla MUST be evil, start out as evil, or at least be antagonistic in many scenarios. Others love the antihero angle. Some thing that a 'pure' Godzilla movie features only Godzilla while for others a face-off with another monster is absolutely essential. People live and die on these battles. Hell....even the designs of Godzilla's feet spark raging debate among fans.

I think with Gamera being a bit more niche, a bit more modest and humble....you just have much more freedom. Gamera was never really iconic as a nuclear allegory. Gamera is portrayed much more consistently as a heroic character. If anything....those elements of Gamera that are 'a given' and not really controversial whatsoever make a Gamera Reboot an EASIER and more interesting prospect because you aren't worried about everything decision striking controversy among fans.

Heck, you could do a Hollywood re-imagining/loose remake of the Heisei Trilogy and most would be all aboard. You could do a hardcore Gantz: O style hyper-real CGI anime that recombines his most famous elements. A Gamera film could be set in a total sci-fi fantasy setting of a future human colony on an alien planet....home to Gamera and hordes of other alien creatures. It could free Gamera completely from the familiar 'monster in a modern human city' element Godzilla always seems forced to be in.

So many people, in terms of mainstream masses in the US...have so little awareness and knowledge of Gamera that you just have a mountain of upside in terms of attracting new fans and introducing them to a character like Gamera that has much more of a buck-wilde fantasy element to him than a character like Godzilla which somehow feels more inherently sci-fi. I feel like so many people have their minds made up on Godzilla whether it be positive or negative, no matter WHAT film you show them.

Plus for newbies to "catch up" on Gamera requires far less "homework" than doing the same for Godzilla. Gamera has an opportunity to be a bit more of a blank slate that newcomers could give a chance to.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Chrispy_G wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:45 am I still personally see 1.85/1.78/16x9 as the "Master Ratio" and would love to see a Gamera reboot, US or Japan, done that way.

Let Del Toro direct if it is US and live action
Let Genndy Tartakosky take the helm if it is US and animated
If it's Japanese...maybe go for that Gantz: O "hyper realistic" style....and have Chris Pratt voice the lead in the English Dub since between Lego, Onward, Mario and Garfield, he's all the rage for starring voice roles :mrgreen:

I would just LOVE for Kadokawa to somehow get the Gamera reboot, US or Japan, to be the Triple A of the Triple A. JUST to keep that competition going :)
The Triple A of the Triple A? Is that an expression or a reference? I've never heard of that. Isn't triple a that car thing?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I doubt LP will want to get the rights to produce Gamera movies. If not them, which Hollywood studio do you think will be willing to do so? I am guessing either Paramount or Universal.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:06 pm I doubt LP will want to get the rights to produce Gamera movies. If not them, which Hollywood studio do you think will be willing to do so? I am guessing either Paramount or Universal.
None.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:06 pm I doubt LP will want to get the rights to produce Gamera movies. If not them, which Hollywood studio do you think will be willing to do so? I am guessing either Paramount or Universal.
I wouldn't bet on Paramount. MAYBE Universal.

It would actually be interesting if it were Sony. Could you imagine them nailing a Gamera US debut after fumbling so badly with Godzilla? That would be one for the story books.

Added in 2 minutes 26 seconds:
Vakanai wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:50 pm
The Triple A of the Triple A? Is that an expression or a reference? I've never heard of that. Isn't triple a that car thing?
Triple A is often just a title used to represent 'the best of the best' or 'top tier'...I hear it in gaming and all kinds of discussions, not just cars.

I was just using it as an expression that hopefully Kadokawa does everything it can to make WHATEVER Gamera reboot we get a home run.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Chrispy_G wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:09 pmIt would actually be interesting if it were Sony.
I would only agree to this if animated like Into the Spider-Verse and The Mitchells vs. The Machines.

Otherwise live-action I wouldn't put my faith into Sony at all especially given how Morbius has been received as well as those planned Spider-Man villain films no one had been asking for.
Chrispy_G wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:09 pm Could you imagine them nailing a Gamera US debut after fumbling so badly with Godzilla? That would be one for the story books
It would be the Heisei Gamera Trilogy all over again. The time when Gamera had Godzilla beat at its own game. 8-)
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I think we won't see a gamera movie ever again to be honest. We've had a kaiju resurgence in both US (to some debatable extent) and Japan yet nothing is happening for sometime. The most I could see is maybe have him cameo in a Yokai film like Daimajin at most.

It's kinda of interesting. I'm surprised a Gamera vs. Daimajin movie crossover never happened since both characters are owned by the same company.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Honestly with how terrible most American franchise movies are these days it's probably best if Gamera doesn't get a reboot stateside. lol
Resized Image

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Gamera's box office performances weren't fantastic in the 90's or 2006, especially when compared to Godzilla. Gamera was at his strongest in the 1960's when Daiei wasn't going bankrupt.

Would I say that a Gamera movie happening in the future is unlikely? Not necessarily. But I'd never wager that a Hollywood studio would bank on Gamera. He doesn't have the pull that Godzilla or King Kong do. Kadokawa doesn't appear to have faith or confidence in the property, and the 2015 proof-of-concept had me hoping otherwise.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:53 am It would be the Heisei Gamera Trilogy all over again. The time when Gamera had Godzilla beat at its own game. 8-)
And like the battle of the Blu Ray Box Sets when the Arrow release for Gamera demolished the Criterion release for Godzilla.
darthzilla99 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:53 am I think we won't see a gamera movie ever again to be honest.
That seems like a very bold statement. I mean sure, it could just stay dormant. I think a Gamera film could certainly succeed. If Shin Ultraman finds a lot of success...it would be hard to imagine them fighting the itch to do SOMETHING with Gamera. I have a feeling that the 2015 short wasn't just done as a celebratory maneuver, I think they have some kind of ambitions or plans.

I think the key would just be doing something in a way that can differentiate it from the typical expectation and to allow it to stand out. If they just pump out "Shin Gamera" that will feel terribly uninspired. Throwing Gamera into the Monsterverse would be cool, but it would feel a little uninspired.

I think at every step, from acquiring rights to the budget of the film itself...I think a Gamera movie, stateside or in Japan...could be a more economic investment than Godzilla. I think the Monsterverse showed that modern Kaiju films are a little better served trying to be closer to the spirit of their roots of quick, entertaining, tightly paced monster mashes than trying to emulate the larger and longer scale of summer superhero films.

A focused, lean and mean Gamera film in the 90-100 minute range, really pushing in the 'more bang for your buck' approach could yield some great results. As long as something fairly unique and fresh were done. Not a paint-by-numbers US summer blockbuster reboot or "Shin Gamera" following that template, don't just crank out a cheap looking 2D-esque CG anime film.

If the right time is taken and the concept is executed, a new Gamera film could find a lot of success. The power of hindsight would allow it to avoid some of the mistakes/lesser elements of the various modern Kaiju films.

We're seeing some interesting things in the air...in recent times we have shown that when hot anime properties like Demon Slayer or Jujutsu Kaisen are brought over to the US and given a decent theatrical spread....they can pull in some fairly impressive numbers. The market for theatrically released anime films in the US has been cultivated very well in the last few years. Look at the performance of something like DBZ: Resurrection F...then how Broly performed, and then how Demon Slayer performed. There is a starving market being grown. Maybe Gamera reborn as some kind of high grade 2D anime with a shonen-type of action/battle focus could be something that soars in Japan and imports well over here.

I just think there are too many paths for "A new Gamera Film" to be done well and find success for me to believe that we will never get another film or that there is so little hope for one.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Chrispy_G wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:09 pm
I wouldn't bet on Paramount. MAYBE Universal.

It would actually be interesting if it were Sony. Could you imagine them nailing a Gamera US debut after fumbling so badly with Godzilla? That would be one for the story books.

Added in 2 minutes 26 seconds:
Vakanai wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:50 pm
Triple A is often just a title used to represent 'the best of the best' or 'top tier'...I hear it in gaming and all kinds of discussions, not just cars.

I was just using it as an expression that hopefully Kadokawa does everything it can to make WHATEVER Gamera reboot we get a home run.
Ah, I've never heard it used that way before. Thanks!

Added in 2 minutes 55 seconds:
None. Right now Gamera has no stock, no value for a Hollywood studio to be interested. He needs to become a bigger thing again, he needs new Japanese films that spark up interest in him, before anyone in Hollywood will even sniff in his direction.

Added in 4 minutes 47 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:53 am
Chrispy_G wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:09 pmIt would actually be interesting if it were Sony.
I would only agree to this if animated like Into the Spider-Verse and The Mitchells vs. The Machines.

Otherwise live-action I wouldn't put my faith into Sony at all especially given how Morbius has been received as well as those planned Spider-Man villain films no one had been asking for.
Chrispy_G wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:09 pm Could you imagine them nailing a Gamera US debut after fumbling so badly with Godzilla? That would be one for the story books
It would be the Heisei Gamera Trilogy all over again. The time when Gamera had Godzilla beat at its own game. 8-)
Beat in quality? Most definitely. Beat in profits? Sadly not. The Gamera trilogy is popular with fans like us, but not only did Godzilla do better in the Japanese box office back then, even the Mothra trilogy beat Gamera's back then.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

A Hollywood Gamera film could work as long as Guillermo Del Toro was at the helm.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:01 pm A Hollywood Gamera film could work as long as Guillermo Del Toro was at the helm.
And what makes you so sure of that?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:39 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:01 pm A Hollywood Gamera film could work as long as Guillermo Del Toro was at the helm.
And what makes you so sure of that?
He's proven that he's one of those people in Hollywood with a passion for this genre.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:11 pmHe's proven that he's one of those people in Hollywood with a passion for this genre.
Guillermo del Toro as director with Shusuke Kaneko as producer and writer would be a pipe dream come true.

If not Guillermo del Toro, my next choice for director would be Matt Reeves.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:37 am
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:11 pmHe's proven that he's one of those people in Hollywood with a passion for this genre.
Guillermo del Toro as director with Shusuke Kaneko as producer and writer would be a pipe dream come true.

If not Guillermo del Toro, my next choice for director would be Matt Reeves.
Reeves is great, just not sure he would go for Gamera and be the best fit, I guess it depends on just what kind of Gamera film they are doing. Cloverfield and Apes were definitely creature feature CGI heavy movies, so it isn't out of his genre or style...I'm just not sure if he would go in for Gamera. The notion of seeing Gamera spinning in the air set to "Something in the Way" is VERY enticing though :mrgreen:

But....with Gamera being the friend of all children....we know "Smells Like Teen Spirit" might be the anthem best suited for him :lol:

Guillermo Del Toro would be excellent especially because it would almost guarantee a 1:85 aspect ratio...which the 16X9/1:78/1:85 ratio range is my absolute favorite and I think it is great for kaiju films. Heisei Godzilla, Heisei Gamera, Pacific Rim....the only big aesthetic change I would have loved to implement on the Monsterverse would be that aspect ratio instead of 2:40

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Guys. C'mon. The best Hollywood director for Gamera is OBVIOUSLY Michael Bay.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?