Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by Legion1979 »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:19 am Scale aside it looks like an ok decent Ghidorah. The character is cursed to always be so off in scale because he's just so massive in the flick.
For the price I think that figure looks pretty cool. Not my thing, but cool. People put too much emphasis on scale.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I wouldn't blame people for being picky about scale in Ghidorah's case; he's a BIG monster and I think that's part of his appeal. Obviously that creates issues for budget toys, but I can certainly understand the frustrations.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

To be honest, the scale in ANY Kaiju film was always semi-fluid rather we admit it or not. From 1933 King Kong where the creators openly admitted he changes sizes depending on what he stands near to the most recent CGI, it does vary depending on the needs of the scene. I figure if it works well enough for your display, then it's right. If it doesn't, there are many other options. Nothing on my shelf is in scale with anything else and I know it, the people would be taller than the tanks for starters. This is pre-SCV Ghidorah and Hedorah, which probably just made the situation WORSE.

What I want to know is, what is that little gold bit in the bubble for? Damage-covering?

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:52 amWhat I want to know is, what is that little gold bit in the bubble for? Damage-covering?
Yeah he has battle damage on his chest, similar to the other releases in the line
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:23 am
Maverick Centigrade wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:19 am Scale aside it looks like an ok decent Ghidorah. The character is cursed to always be so off in scale because he's just so massive in the flick.
For the price I think that figure looks pretty cool. Not my thing, but cool. People put too much emphasis on scale.
Ghidorah doesn't have to be in scale but he ahould be bigger than Godzilla. The Playmates and Jakks look like GMK Ghidorah next to their Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Would those 5 Below figures look good next to this Ghidorah?
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:44 am
Legion1979 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:23 am
Ghidorah doesn't have to be in scale but he ahould be bigger than Godzilla. The Playmates and Jakks look like GMK Ghidorah next to their Godzilla.
The important thing to keep in mind is that the Bandai, Jakks and Playmates figures are CHILDRENS TOYS. They're designed to meet a certain price point and can only be so big so they can't fit on a retail shelf. Scale isn't the point with these.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

If they made a twelve inch Ghidorah in the same line as their Godzilla and Kong, they could use much less plastic than those figures, and therefore get around the scaling/price problem.

The good thing about cheap children’s toys is that they can be any size as long as they’re cheaply made.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Poe Ghostal wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:28 pm Would those 5 Below figures look good next to this Ghidorah?
I think they would! The Jakks two-pack figures of Godzilla and Rodan should also scale well IMO.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Saw Ultima in Target and initially was going to pass, but I liked the way it looked too much and grabbed it. Its actually fantastic and to my surprise I legitimately prefer it to Bandai's. Yeah, obviously doesn't have quite as much detail and Bandai's, most evident in the overall texturing, fin sculpting, and tail, but it really does hold its own for a figure half the price of the MMS.

The color is what stands out the most - while Bandai's has almost no color other than some silver sprays, the Playmates uses a bone-color for the spikes on his chest and arms, plus the red in the mouth and the red veins on the fins. It just looks really nice with a splash of color variety. And I like the eyes, too, despite being way bigger than they should be; gives it a more toyetic appearance that isn't necessarily the most accurate take, but the figure overall still captures the essence of this very unique Godzilla design. Solid figure - if you see it its worth grabbing. I do hope Playmates can keep up this level of quality moving forward (and if they do more S.P. figures, Rodan would be a lovely choice since Bandai skipped him).

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Adventures in Collecting Podcast did an episode with VPs of Playmates toys. They confirmed a couple of things:
-Baragon coming to the Toho line in early spring 2023
-New Titan Tech kaiju from the MonsterVerse coming in summer 2023
-They are seeing a lot of success with their GvK offerings
-The standard Monsterverse line will be going backward to explore pre-GvK movies starting with the Ghidorah that is hitting shelves now
-They are already developing product for the 2024 MonsterVerse movie
-They are working with Toho to get a sense of what kaiju fans are looking for, which has inspired their releases of Jet Jaguar and Baragon
-They are aware that Hedorah and Biollante are popular right now and are in line for development
-They will try to do different Godzilla suits to accompany the other Kaiju in each case assortment
-Expect 2 case assortments per year
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

That's pretty awesome, I'm getting latter day Bandai Creation vibes from this info (for better or worse). Hope to finally see some good MUTO figures.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:20 pm That's pretty awesome, I'm getting latter day Bandai Creation vibes from this info (for better or worse). Hope to finally see some good MUTO figures.
The Mutos would be a crown jewel in this line. I'm hoping with you.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Thats good they're happy with it and listening to fans. They know they'll never be a Figuarts or even Super7 but they are more than respectable.

Whats the timestamp where they start talking about it?
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I'm glad to see Playmates continue to push the classic line. I don't care much for their monsterverse stuff (even though KG looks solid), the classic lines have been real solid. The Gorosaurus isn't MMS, but if you were to buy one over the MMS then it's certainly understandable.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Fermix wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:24 pm Adventures in Collecting Podcast did an episode with VPs of Playmates toys. They confirmed a couple of things:
-The standard Monsterverse line will be going backward to explore pre-GvK movies starting with the Ghidorah that is hitting shelves now
-They are working with Toho to get a sense of what kaiju fans are looking for, which has inspired their releases of Jet Jaguar and Baragon
-They are aware that Hedorah and Biollante are popular right now and are in line for development
-They will try to do different Godzilla suits to accompany the other Kaiju in each case assortment
Damn, seems like they really want to some good with this line. I look forward to seeing what more they'll do.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Fermix wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:24 pm Adventures in Collecting Podcast did an episode with VPs of Playmates toys. They confirmed a couple of things:
Baragon, holy heck, now that is an announcement! I'm looking forward to picking up not one but two Baragon next year now! Excited to se more MonsterVerse product but also especially more Godzilla suits and kaiju.

If there are two case assortments next year... we saw Terrestris, Ultima, Shin and Rodan re-release in one wave, so next year we can presumably see a new Godzilla alongside Baragon in the first wave, and then probably a new Godzilla alongside Biollante and Hedorah in the second wave I would assume? Might be cool to see a new Godzilla 2001-Baraon 2001 and maybe a US version of Godzilla 89 for the second wave. (I know a lot of fans would love a Godzilla 71, but from Playmates, the level of detail wouldn't show any difference between 68 and 71 or 72, I think.)

Of note, Hedorah was in the originally mentioned 'leak' that included JJ, Gorosaurus and Rodan two years ago, so he's been in the pipeline a long time. Makes me think Megalon and MKG might still be plausible. I really want to see how PM handles Megalon one day.

Backwards in the MonsterVerse suggests MUTO might come someday!
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I'd like to see Playmates do a Showa Ghidorah at their giant scale. It would totally be out of scale with their other Godzillas, but it may just fit in perfectly with Bandai MMS and Playmates standard size.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I still wish a company could do Frankenstein and Mechani-Kong.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I think Frankenstein is doable. Mechanikong is not.