Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Pretty sure Super7 said Franky is off the table.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:20 pm Pretty sure Super7 said Franky is off the table.
They may have said it, but Bandai didn't seem to have any problem adding him to the Premium line a few years ago. Mechanikong meanwhile isn't allowed across the board.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:20 pm Pretty sure Super7 said Franky is off the table.
Did they say this? I remember Brian saying explicitly that only Kong and Mechani Kong were non-starters.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I'm encouraged to hear Playmates is taking this line pretty seriously, and those are some promising names dropped for figures.
However, Playmates really needs to improve their distribution and retailer choices. Target stores are wildly inconsistent and unreliable for "collectors" items, and they don't even offer Playmates for shipping from their website. It's hard to be excited for these items when I'm pretty sure I'll never see one in person, and will only ever obtain if I pay 2-3-4 times retail through eBay.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Rody wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:39 pm I'm encouraged to hear Playmates is taking this line pretty seriously, and those are some promising names dropped for figures.
However, Playmates really needs to improve their distribution and retailer choices. Target stores are wildly inconsistent and unreliable for "collectors" items, and they don't even offer Playmates for shipping from their website. It's hard to be excited for these items when I'm pretty sure I'll never see one in person, and will only ever obtain if I pay 2-3-4 times retail through eBay.
Can't be worse than distribution in Canada, which is utter dogshit. Recently visited 3 Wal-Marts and 1 Toys R US to find a boatload of the first Kong Skull Island figures and a handful of the GvK mini figures. I haven't seen any of the Gorosaurus or Rodan waves
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Rody wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:39 pm I'm encouraged to hear Playmates is taking this line pretty seriously, and those are some promising names dropped for figures.
I don't get why stores like BigBadToyStore don't carry their figures to purchase online.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

ElijahSky
Monarch Researcher

Post by ElijahSky »

Considering how things started out with the license I never thought it would happen, but Playmates has won me over. The quality has improved considerably, and I love that they're covering characters from all over the MonsterVerse and Toho films. I wish they'd do a line in scale with the minifigures Bandai and Jakks did for their MonsterVerse licenses, but so far it's just the 3 from 5 Below. I'm excited to see what they do in the future, and I'm eager to see that Baragon. I have my figures crossed for a Varan in a standing position some day.

They've really come a long way from those first figures they put out.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Whichever company does Gargantuas first will have my gratitude. War Of The Gargantuas isn't exactly an obscure movie, and it's probably the most high profile kaiju film that isn't Godzilla related.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

With them backtracking the MV prior to GvsK, I hope it means monsters other than the Mutos are being looked it. Scylla and Behemoth at least.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:09 am With them backtracking the MV prior to GvsK, I hope it means monsters other than the Mutos are being looked it. Scylla and Behemoth at least.
Yes please. I’m also okay with some of the stuff from Skull Island— Sker Buffalo could be fun, if a bit basic. The Big One Skullcrawler wouldn’t be too hard to make.
I’d doubt we’d get anything from the comics but hey, a MUTO Prime wouldn’t be so bad either.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

If you go on Amazon someone repainted the skull crawler closer to the Kong Skull Island version. I git and its decent.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Something interesting about that podcast is that the VPs mention a couple of times that some of the products they released were due to customers reaching out with specific requests. Assuming it really is that easy, I used their website contact form to send them a link to this topic so that they could see what folks are looking for. Who knows!

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

I definitely like that they made that 10 inch Godzilla 54 and would love to see more of that. 10 inch Destroyah, Heisei Ghidorah, MOGUERA, Mothra. I really miss the days of cheap larger Godzilla toys that aren't just Godzilla.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Target.com has 54 Godzilla on sale for $16.

I used my red card and got mine shipped for 16.61.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Has anyone found the Monsterverse Ghidorah in the wild yet?

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Playmates Baragon! Looks great.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 3547121005

(On my phone, otherwise I’d direct-link the photos)
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Poe Ghostal wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:00 am Playmates Baragon! Looks great.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 3547121005

(On my phone, otherwise I’d direct-link the photos)

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Looks good for an American toy, though far from great.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Hey, that actually looks pretty nice! That back paint isn't doing him any favors, the usual paint spray would've been better (and it looks like his hands have been stung by bees!), but a gorgeous sculpt overall.

I think this is also the first proper 6" scale Showa Baragon? I know Bandai's supposed to have one later this year, but this'll be the first. Still crazy to me that we're seeing all these 6" Showa kaiju at stores like Target; even just a few years ago that would've sounded asinine to me...
Last edited by Shenanigans on Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Yamakatsu did a 6" Baragon figure 40 years ago.