Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by Platypus Prime »

Looks like eleven-inch classic 1954 Godzilla is up at Target. No idea where to find the new line of mini-figures, though if it's like last time I will be better off waiting for their US release than trying to import through ebay.

https://www.target.com/p/godzilla-1954- ... A-86132388
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Platypus Prime wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:17 pm Looks like eleven-inch classic 1954 Godzilla is up at Target. No idea where to find the new line of mini-figures, though if it's like last time I will be better off waiting for their US release than trying to import through ebay.

https://www.target.com/p/godzilla-1954- ... A-86132388
I saw big boi 54 alot. Still no Terrestris or the Mini's... ON the topic of Godzilla SPs morphological cycle.
Hmm...something about that brand doesn't seem right...

Another figure to add to the "I'll find it eventually" list.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

SpaceG92 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:33 am I saw big boi 54 alot. Still no Terrestris or the Mini's...
Ditto here. Also not seeing the MV Ghidorah anywhere.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Platypus Prime wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:17 pm Looks like eleven-inch classic 1954 Godzilla is up at Target. No idea where to find the new line of mini-figures, though if it's like last time I will be better off waiting for their US release than trying to import through ebay.
Apparently they're only being found at Five Below so far. Can't honestly say I am familiar with the store but there is apparently one not super far from me so I'll have to go next time I'm in that area.

I did see 1954 last time I was at Target; the head didn't seem to be a whole different color from the neck like the stock photos make it out to be, at least far as I can tell.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Got the big '54. Despite the size being clearly stated, I was surprised. It is a LOT bigger in RL than it appears in pictures. Bought it anyway, from most angles it really does look perfect to the pictures from 1954. The head does not stick out nearly as much, as noted above, and what few other flaws there are are minimal. Not a great Adult Collectible, an excellent toy to have in an Adult Collector's house to run interference for visiting kids!

Though at less than 25 bucks, it does make my Super7 ReAction Jet Jaguar look even MORE overpriced...
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

HAH! It works! And by 'works' I mean my nephew borrowed the big '54 (he lives next door) instead of trying to get the Music Box Godzilla. If big '54 winds up returning to.the sea in a bathtub, I don't have to worry! The Stunt double concept is a winner!

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

its always nice when kids can get toys that are durable and rough

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Platypus Prime wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:34 pm HAH! It works! And by 'works' I mean my nephew borrowed the big '54 (he lives next door) instead of trying to get the Music Box Godzilla. If big '54 winds up returning to the sea in a bathtub, I don't have to worry! The Stunt double concept is a winner!
This is why I never complained about the accuracy of the NECA line. For what they were, how they were made, and how much they cost, they made for GREAT stunt doubles on the shelf. The Playmates line are even better, and at half the price. Yay stunt doubles!
Last edited by G1985 on Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

I think if the oportunity happens Illget the shin

I just have a soft spot for toy toy well toys for as accurate and articulated things like sh ma are they are waaaaaaay out of budget, hell this ones may be over budget with the scarcity of monster things wher I live so

and they are apparently kid proof, neat

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Oh, yeah, big '54 is definitely kid proof. Every part of it is thick and sturdy. Big '54 has harder plastic than the six inch Playmates '54 that I got for two dollars in clearance, so it COULD break, but it would also be simple to put back together. There are times when 'articulation at neck/shoulders/hips/tail base' may be limiting, but it's not a display piece, I'll gladly sacrifice some posing opportunities for a kids play value. Sometimes it's nice to just have a decent indestructible tank.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

big beefy kids toys are so nice, like if you get kids is like her ebuddy go mad with it

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I picked up the new "minis" at Five Below the other day. I had forgotten how big they actually are; at about 4" tall, these are basically like Bandai's Hyper figure line.

Sculpt details look very good, although paint apps are minimal. Godzilla and MechaG can swivel all 4 limbs and their tail, Kong can swivel his head and arms.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Comparisons with other figures:
Spoiler:

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Oh, wow, I hadn't realized the five-below minis weren't really 'mini'. These are actually pretty decently sized action figures!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

The comparison to Hyper Godzilla is interesting since those figures often had some of the best sculpts out of Bandai's offerings. These Playmates don't quite have that same quality.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

My trip to Five Below was also a success. As suspected, these figures scale beautifully with Bandai's Godzilla 2014 figures and Jakks Pacific's KOTM 2019 figures. Honestly, if you didn't know any better you might think they were all from the same line. Really solid lot of figures given almost all were about $5 a piece. (Sorry for the shit quality of these pics.)

I'm surprised there aren't more toy lines with all the "main" Monsterverse characters like this (most are missing MUTOs), but at this scale you can create a nifty little lineup, especially if you throw in a few of the super-mini Hellhawks and Skullcrawlers.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

scale is already a bitch on other toylines it must be hard on kaiju collections

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

I went to the nearest Five Below store a few weeks ago and they had none of these Godzilla vs. Kong figures anywhere. Bummer.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

According to my nephew, one is the mommy, one is the daddy, and that little one is the baby. No, I don't know either.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Sounds like normal kid logic to me. Same "animal", but different shapes and sizes? It's a family, then! I did that with dinosaur toys all the time.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

My cousin and I you to have the 11 inch 98 Godzilla and treadmasters Godzilla. 98 was the mom and Heisei was the dad. The 6 inch toys were the kids.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image