Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by miguelnuva »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:55 pm
Titanus_Rodan wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:40 am
Executive Hamster wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:24 am [img]https://i.imgur.com/0fr1vdq.jpg[/ig]
This one actually looks really good
Call me crazy but that looks like a 12in figure

Where did you find it?
Holy poop, it *IS* 12 inches.

[img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... height=296[/im]
And now it's a buy.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:55 pm
Titanus_Rodan wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:40 am
Executive Hamster wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:24 am Image
This one actually looks really good
Call me crazy but that looks like a 12in figure

Where did you find it?
Holy poop, it *IS* 12 inches.

What website is that?

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Wow. Yeah, if they can give me a reasonably articulated 11 inch '54 Godzilla that's sturdy enough to smash Jenga towers when my nephew visits for about twenty bucks, any flaws in the execution will have to be pretty catastrophic to outweigh the benefits. I don't have a single Godzilla toy that's sturdy enough to be a 'beater', this would be awesome.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Platypus Prime wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:25 pm ...a reasonably articulated 11 inch '54 Godzilla that's sturdy enough to smash Jenga towers when my nephew visits...I don't have a single Godzilla toy that's sturdy enough to be a 'beater', this would be awesome.
LOL "beater"? I believe the term you're looking for is "stunt double".

Last edited by G1985 on Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:40 am Where did you find it?
Image popped up in one of my instagram group chats.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Got mine
Resized Image

Honestly, if any of you are on the fence. Get these. They are the closet thing to a revived Powered Up figures we can get but these are honestly a blast to play with. Yeah they look like the usual playmates and not quiet on the same level imo as their 6" GvK figures, but these are just too much fun. Actual fun in a toy. How they engineered these makes sense and it COULD have been done better, but at the cost of the price going up. The rubber parts aren't bad and welcomed in parts that bend.

The only issue is that Kong's back is a bit floppy with his Axe attached and mine has a loose shoulder. Honestly, easy fix but I think the back plate might be an issue, I dont see it "clicking" into place like the other parts. It's only a real issue if you have the axe on his back and without the axe I gave him a shake and it didnt come out. I also recommend looking at the instructions on the first time. Godzilla's Iron Man chest core fits into a small cut out in his internal chest frame, but you gotta work it in, otherwise it rams up against it and could possibly bend it.

Minor complaints, nothing for a child to really worry about. Seriously, get these if you see them. I look forward to more in this line.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I saw but didn't buy mecha-Kong at Target. I did however order in the minifigure multipack, since I had a coupon and it padded the order enough to ship free too. Now I can sub the tiny skull-crawler for a two-legged lizard on my main shelf, and put the rest of the little ones in my office!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Ordered the Titan Tech figures after thinking it over for a lil. I'll keep supporting PM for a while longer, anyway. They arrived today and there is an... issue... with my Godzilla.

Can you see what it is? The tail is too small to fit on the body. It legit makes NO connection what's so ever. I put a drop of gorilla glue on it and just inserted it and held it till it wouldn't just fall off. It's not worth the headache of using customer service, sending back, etc. Lost the ability to rotate the tail because of it, but I never rotate these things' tails anyway. Still yet, NEVER had such an incident occur. Wondering if mine is a unique issue or if its common.

As for the figure's themselves, Kong is the better of the two.

I still don't agree that these things are anything like the old Battle Armor figures, and I think they are heavily less cool, but it is what it is. I'm not going to display either of them with the random skin flaps opening to reveal... things... just sticking out of their limbs, but I do like Kong's shoulder launchers, sun glasses and chest piece.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Still think they look stupid as hell, but if its what the kids enjoy....

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

Any news on that 54 Godzilla?

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Of the Target GvK multipack, the small Skullcrawler, just due to style and paintjob, makes an excellent two-legged lizard sub for Illustrated Kong, and the mini-Kong in the pack is the perfect size for 1933-style city-climbing, though obviously he's not going to take on Godzilla in that version.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

A couple of cases are up for pre-order on Entertainment Earth right now.

Godzilla Classic 6 1/2-Inch Wave 6 Figure Case
https://www.entertainmentearth.com/prod ... /pl35430ff
1x Singular Point Terres
1x New Shin Godzilla

Godzilla Classic 6 1/2-Inch Wave 7 Figure Case
https://www.entertainmentearth.com/prod ... e/pl35430g
1x Gigan 2004
1x Singular Point Godzilla Terres
1x Singular Point Godzilla Ultima
1x New Shin Godzilla

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

The 12 inch G54 is hitting Texas Target shelves now saw some myself last night. Looks like a great toy but looks odd from a front angle.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

I picked up the 54 Godzilla. It’s got all the issues that the smaller one had (mushed head, weird gray coloring) but it’s a nice big figure for $23. I like the kinda dopey elements and it’s a nice side profile of the original suit. Looks wonky head on of course.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I've always wanted a big G54 so I might pick it up if I see it anywhere. I'm not a hardcore collector or anything so the trademark Bandai America/Playmates wonky likeness isn't a turnoff.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Well, like I noted before, for under $25 and almost a foot tall, there are a lot of things that can be forgiven and still be a good value. I got the old 11 inch Final Wars one for my nephew, repainted the spines to glow in the dark. Works great nearly five years later without visible wear.

If I can get my hands on it I will use it for Halloween by smashing a Jack-O-Lantern and putting Godzilla in it. I something similar with the old small -54 and some little Sharkticons I got, but this would be much better.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

New mini figures! Found them on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394266020001

Nice. These should be around the same size as the Jakks Pacific battle packs and the Bandai USA MUTOs, so I'm happy to see them.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Very nice! I'd love the 'arms up' Kong, so I could have different pictures of him climbing the skyscrapers in my little monster city setup.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

The sculpts look good considering their size.
Formerly known as kurtzilla