How Could Past Monsters Be Revisited in the Reiwa Era?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Gigantis
Sazer

How Could Past Monsters Be Revisited in the Reiwa Era?

Post by Gigantis »

So after the discussion of Kong soon going into the public domain,there's been a question lingering in my head.

Frankenstein's one of,if not possibly the most popular monster in the world,his copyright has long since expired,films are being made about it even to this very day...yet despite all of this,Toho hasn't made a film about it since 1965,and to that i say...why not? The monster's so recognizable it almost certainly make a buck (Unless the film sucks),seeing the more kaiju version of him stomping around again would be a site to see,and best of all,he could be a permanent cast of the Toho library!

So your thoughts,would you like to see Frankenstein in World of Godzilla?
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Frankenstein in World of Godzilla?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

tyrantgoji wrote:So after the discussion of Kong soon going into the public domain,there's been a question lingering in my head.

Frankenstein's one of,if not possibly the most popular monster in the world,his copyright has long since expired,films are being made about it even to this very day...yet despite all of this,Toho hasn't made a film about it since 1965,and to that i say...why not? The monster's so recognizable it almost certainly make a buck (Unless the film sucks),seeing the more kaiju version of him stomping around again would be a site to see,and best of all,he could be a permanent cast of the Toho library!

So your thoughts,would you like to see Frankenstein in World of Godzilla?
Because Frankenstien is public domain, his IP has been run into the ground. There's too many trash films with him.

I would love to see Frankenstien return however. Maybe they could just use a new version with more of a flesh golem similar to the original creature Kong was supposed to fight.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

If the design was like this I'd be on board.

____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

The uncanny valley would be so horrifying
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

_JNavs_ wrote:If the design was like this I'd be on board.

Yeah exactly, that was what I was referencing.

But then at that point, why not just have an original monster?

I also do like how Frankenstien and Godzilla both have similarities at terms of being respective abominations.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I'm not the biggest fan of Frankenstein's Monster personally. But having him could mean the Gargantuas. I am all for the Gargantuas coming back.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

I'll be for it especially if they finally make an adaptation of Frankenstein vs Kong should Kong be included in the same universe.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:I'm not the biggest fan of Frankenstein's Monster personally. But having him could mean the Gargantuas. I am all for the Gargantuas coming back.
Yeah fuck Frankenstein, just have Gaira and sands come back

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:I'm not the biggest fan of Frankenstein's Monster personally. But having him could mean the Gargantuas. I am all for the Gargantuas coming back.
Yeah skreeonk Frankenstein, just have Gaira and sands come back
Hell yeah!

But we have to remember. Gargantuas is a sequel to Frankenstein Conquers the World. We may need Dr. Frankenstein or his monster if we want them back. Unless they want to change the Gargantuas' origins a little bit and made them oni or yokai or some shit
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Wasn’t Godzilla a plant in the the anime films? They don’t have to make the Gargantuas Frankenstein evolutions.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I'd be down for it, I've felt that Toho's version of Frankenstein is underrated. It is the most unique version of Frankenstein.

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

It would be cool but I doubt toho would do it, even though they are classics, the toho Frankenstein and gargantua movies at the end of the day are cult films with a niche audience and probably wouldnt be as profitable as kotm or shin godzilla, in a way, the closest we have gotten to a new frankenstien sequel is the attack on titan movies, which draw alot of influence from war of the gargantuas . But yeah, like LSD Jelly fish said, the character is in the public domain so who knows!

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

Frankenstein's underrated? I thought the consensus was the movie's purty cool.

If you think Frankenstein's not a cool cat, you needa' take that filth to the unpopular opinions thread cuz Frank's where it's at.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Orichalcum wrote:Frankenstein's underrated? I thought the consensus was the movie's purty cool.

If you think Frankenstein's not a cool cat, you needa' take that filth to the unpopular opinions thread cuz Frank's where it's at.

I always got the feeling that both the monster and the movie weren't that popular, always getting overshadowed by the gargantuas.

I love Frankenstein, the Toho version and Frankenstein in general.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

kingkevzilla88 wrote:
Orichalcum wrote:Frankenstein's underrated? I thought the consensus was the movie's purty cool.

I always got the feeling that both the monster and the movie weren't that popular, always getting overshadowed by the gargantuas.

I love Frankenstein, the Toho version and Frankenstein in general.
I like Frankenstein's Monster. I just don't think he works well as a kaiju. It's like making Dracula one..

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

Shit comparison is shit

The way Frankenstein was handled fit the film nicely, you'd have a point if he turned out to be a 30 meter Boris Karlof lookalike but instead he's a big ass cave-man.
Last edited by Orichalcum on Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Orichalcum wrote:poop comparison is poop

The way Frankenstein was handled fit the film nicely, you'd have a point if he turned out to be a 30 meter Boris Karlof lookalike but instead he's a big ass cave-man.
I don't know man. It still feels like an inauthentic Frankenstein to have him as large as he is and fighting kaiju.

If Toho decided to make a faithfully made Frankestein remake set in modern times, it could be interesting. But i don't think Frankenstein's monster has any business fighting other kaiju or being that much larger than a basketball player.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
Orichalcum wrote:poop comparison is poop

I don't know man. It still feels like an inauthentic Frankenstein to have him as large as he is and fighting kaiju.

If Toho decided to make a faithfully made Frankestein remake set in modern times, it could be interesting. But i don't think Frankenstein's monster has any business fighting other kaiju or being that much larger than a basketball player.
Eh, a lot of people say the same about Kong. My opinion is, why not? Sometimes we take all the fun out of these things, but there's no reason why it has to always be the same takes on these properties over and over again. Reinventing, updating, and just plain twisting and experimenting with characters is how you make them relevant. As long as the execution is good, it doesn't matter how weird or wild the idea is. At some point you just got to let your inner child who says, "That'd be so awesome" free to make the magic happen. I say let Toho Frankenstein happen again. Heck, I'd even be on board for bringing Dracula in it and having him transform into a giant bat kaiju to fight the Frankenstein kaiju.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Indeed. No idea is intrinsically bad, what matters is how it's executed. Why let a character be stuck doing the same thing over and over ad infinitum? Characters resonate with different people for different reasons, I've never really understood the mindset of "this character is defined by this or that and they can never do [X]". It's so boring and restrictive and just feels really cynical and shallow and elitist.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

I would love to see them make a more kaiju esqe Frankenstein’s monster. Maybe make it more cyborg like in nature or have it be a mosh mash of other Toho creations. But it the end it’s all depends on what Toho is cooking up.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"