Battle of the Multiverse Hub

A place to play and organize role playing games on the forums with others. "Mafia" games welcome.
Corzak The Mighty
EDF Instructor

Re: Battle of the Multiverse Hub

Post by Corzak The Mighty »

Nah, we don't dislike your characters. It's just that taking a long time means it can be difficult to keep track of what's going on. Though given my track record the past few months, i'm not one to judge.
MDK wrote:I wish my movies about dinosaurs brought back to life with mosquitos in amber for a theme park were realistic.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=29237 The Crimson Shadow redux sign-up and discussion thread
Clash of Gods (Shin Gojira vs Legendary Godzilla story, completed)

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

EdGojira wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:32 pm Trying to address some loose ends while I'm at it too and probably shouldn't be writing so late if I don't want it to come across as very stupid. Writing late or early is honestly probably why nobody really likes Jake, Jackie, Dana or any of my other characters.
If there's any criticism that I have as a part-time audience member, it's more that your writing style (and then as consequence, the character you're portraying) gets a little unnecessarily combative and derisive towards other people's characters. It's an easy trap to fall into in any RPG, but especially those light on rules like BotM. Hell, I've been guilty of doing the same thing myself.

The thing to keep in mind is that a good story-centered RPG should be a cooperative one, whether your character is a hero or a villain. We should be here to help each-other tell good stories and improve as writers, not try to one-up each-other with our characters. Competitive attitudes can quickly wear thin unless the RPG is specifically designed for it.

If you're worried about how Jake, Jackie, Dana and the like are received, then my suggestion would be to keep that in mind while writing their characters.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

Spuro wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:39 am
EdGojira wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:32 pm Trying to address some loose ends while I'm at it too and probably shouldn't be writing so late if I don't want it to come across as very stupid. Writing late or early is honestly probably why nobody really likes Jake, Jackie, Dana or any of my other characters.
If there's any criticism that I have as a part-time audience member, it's more that your writing style (and then as consequence, the character you're portraying) gets a little unnecessarily combative and derisive towards other people's characters. It's an easy trap to fall into in any RPG, but especially those light on rules like BotM. Hell, I've been guilty of doing the same thing myself.

The thing to keep in mind is that a good story-centered RPG should be a cooperative one, whether your character is a hero or a villain. We should be here to help each-other tell good stories and improve as writers, not try to one-up each-other with our characters. Competitive attitudes can quickly wear thin unless the RPG is specifically designed for it.

If you're worried about how Jake, Jackie, Dana and the like are received, then my suggestion would be to keep that in mind while writing their characters.
If I haven't fixed that now then I don't know how to fix it. Then again, I guess I haven't been writing too much since someone brought up that I was writing them too derisive. Some characters like Hercules I was deliberately making them an asshole but I know I went too far and other things I was using as foreshadowing when I probably shouldn't have. I suppose I have gotten way too used to how the protagonists in my book spend a good chunk of it not liking each other and I let that bleed too heavily into this.

I definitely need to have Jake interact more with people that are actually his friends, like Ubel. And probably get rid of most of my pirates because they're mainly not very nice people.
Last edited by EdGojira on Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Corzak The Mighty wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:41 pm Nah, we don't dislike your characters. It's just that taking a long time means it can be difficult to keep track of what's going on. Though given my track record the past few months, i'm not one to judge.
Yeah, I echo this same sentiment. I very much like your characters, Ed, and think they're a great addition to the story. Hell, there would most likely be something missing if they weren't around.

But on another note, my God, I feel like I just read a mid-season finale with how much just went down. Awesome stuff, everyone! And, damn you Corzak for getting me a little misty eyed; farewell, Yzazil, you will be forever missed.

Otherwise, I'm currently hard at work writing mine, although it'll probably take a bit longer now that things have picked up, so I apologize in advance for that guys.

#BotM

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

So hopefully I don't need to redo a large part of my post like I already have this morning, but the stuff going on in the sky is being called a "singularity" and is visible/accessible to everybody with flight---right?
Last edited by EdGojira on Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

EdGojira wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:05 pm So hopefully I don't need to redo a large part of my post like I already have this morning, but the stuff going on in the sky is being called a "singularity" and is visible/accessible to everybody with flight---right?
Yes, you would be correct.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

I think I did a better job foreshadowing Godzilla, but here's a couple reveals that might shine a new light on things that happened before.

Corzak The Mighty
EDF Instructor

Very nice post, Ed! Very nice indeed!
MDK wrote:I wish my movies about dinosaurs brought back to life with mosquitos in amber for a theme park were realistic.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=29237 The Crimson Shadow redux sign-up and discussion thread

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

Corzak The Mighty wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:55 pm Very nice post, Ed! Very nice indeed!
There something about it that you liked in particular that I should keep in mind for later?
Last edited by EdGojira on Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corzak The Mighty
EDF Instructor

I liked how well you juggled the interactions with others, along with giving some nice dialogue in between your own characters. Sometimes your posts feel a bit crunched.

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

Corzak The Mighty wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:55 pm I liked how well you juggled the interactions with others, along with giving some nice dialogue in between your own characters. Sometimes your posts feel a bit crunched.
Makes sense because honestly mostly are pretty crunched due to the little amount of time I have to write and the times I use my phone, but this one I snuck in more time.

I actually wish I had more time before making these characters to really come up with more detailed character quirks, hobbies and the like but given that my novel is years in the making and I am still coming up with things to add in that would have been impossible. Honestly Hercules is the only character I have who is battle ready and really knows anyone else that isn't someone else's and has a role amongst them that allows interactions to come naturally. I feel like that's my biggest mistake there.
Last edited by EdGojira on Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MinorBone Good
G-Force Personnel

Post by MinorBone Good »

Happy Holidays from Quatheral!

Reteemonn hopes you had an excellent year!!

Oh god we've been here for three years now.. :shock:
Current Quatheral Population: 600!
Current Quatheral's Perfected: 283!
The Quatheral Wiki!: https://quatheral.fandom.com/wiki/Quatheral_Wiki
The Quatheral Voices!:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRtkOo-Lhs

PM me if you wanna join my Discord to see the updates about Quatheral!

Corzak The Mighty
EDF Instructor

Merry Christmas you guys!

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Happy holidays, beautiful people!

#BotM

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

Happy holidays, everyone. Maybe I should have cooked up a warm and fuzzy post?

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

Just letting y'all know: I'm having surgery done sometime this week or the next and might be a bit too braindead to post while I recover from it.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Hope it goes well for you Obbs. BOTM is going a bit slow anyways, so take your time and recover once you get your surgery.

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Goodness bloody gracious, I seriously hope you guys enjoy that one. That took A TON of rough drafting, planning, and just moving parts to make everything kind of work and fit together well… But I think it turned out okay! THAT big fucker is what took me so long, whewwwww!

And yet, I still need to finish my other response post to both MB, and Gira, with a sprinkle of Hayes mixed in there as well. That should hopefully be up this week, and I won’t be keeping anyone else waiting around any longer.

Also, just as an aside, the Celestial Angel is a no-selling walking hax machine. You should feel so lucky to have her, Raspaganje, you bastard :lol:.

Also also, I hope you can rest up and make a full recovery, BB! I’m keeping you in my thoughts!

#BotM

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

My Sasriel and your Sasriel: *insert Spiderman meme here*

Though it definitely sounds like yours is far less of a monstrous ass than my verse's Sasriel...

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

We’ll just say that this was during the time when Sasriel was eating her Snickers bars consistently :lol:.

Spoiler:
Sasriel 1, Sasriel 2… Sasriel 3?

#BotM