Movies M.I.A on blu-ray

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Re: Movies M.I.A on blu-ray

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Legend has been confirmed as one of the mystery films Arrow Video is doing next year. Someone fond a card for it there copy of the UHD of Tremors.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Rody wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:50 pm They say physical media is dying, but you wouldn't know it looking at all those releases.

One personal favorite I THOUGHT was M.I.A on Blu-ray turns out to have been released much earlier this year: the little animated feature film The Point, based on an album by Harry Nilsson. The reviews I've seen suggest it's a pretty nice release, so I promptly ordered a copy (currently on sale!) which should be arriving soon. This was probably one of my most-watched films as a kid, so it will be nice to see it in a format beyond VHS. :lol:

Now I'm waiting for Willy the Sparrow...
The DVD boom made everyone collectors for a decade - but that was an aberration. Now that the boom has gone bust the market has recalibrated to be for collectors and movie buffs and whatnot. Between Criterion, Shout, Kino, Arrow, and Mill Creek there's no shortage of specialty labels putting out tons of great stuff, and even the major studios are increasing catalog releases, following the Warner Archive's lead. Things are really super great for home video!

Curse of Frankenstein and Popeye (1980) are both new catalog releases directly from major studios, not specialty labels, that feature newly-produced special features! Since when has anyone but specialty labels made new special features for catalog releases in years?!

Also: should really get around to seeing The Point. Love Harry Nilsoon.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Here what I'm predicting what will come out on DVD and Blu-ray next year.

Kamen Rider and other Toei Tokusatsu shows coming to English language DVD and Blu-ray. A boom in Mexican Horror films (Santo, Aztec Mummy and other gothic horrors). Crazy one, Rocky gets added to the Criterion Collection. 4k restoration of the Coffin Joe movies.

Big box collectors edition of The Wild Bunch
Big box collectors edition of the An Nightmare On Elm Street series
Yokai Monsters set
Grudge Boxset
The Invisible Man Appears / The Invisible Man vs The Human Fly double feature
Carnosaur set
Master Of The Flying Guillotine
Early Roger Corman box set
Collectors edition of the first Mortal Kombat movie
The Dead Zone
The Kentucky Fried Movie
A Chinese Ghost Story boxset
Drive (1997)
The Cabinet of Caligari (1962)
Yellow Eyes(Sonny Ciba's killer bear movie)

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

For years I've been going to walmart and it seems like every time a Tremors or Dragonheart sequel comes out, they release a new set of all the films on DVD that is very reasonably priced (usually 15-25 dollars US)/ But why no Blu Ray sets? They release the individual films on BRD. I was looking at Arrow's recent Tremors release. It looks great, and I understand the significance of the first film over all the low-budget sequels, but if they just released a set of all the films on BRD, It would be an immediate purchase for me.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

kingkevzilla88 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:09 pm Here what I'm predicting what will come out on DVD and Blu-ray next year.
I hope some of your predictions come true!

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Arrow Video confirmed that they're releasing The Invisible Man Appears and The Invisible Man vs. The Human Fly as double feature in March.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I think there's a good chance of the original Kamen Rider making its way to home video next year (And possibly Kuuga as well), though I'm not sure what makes you think more Toei shows will be seeing a release as well. But hey, one can hope (Captain Ultra, Inazuman Flash and Daitetsujin 17 please).
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:20 pm I know this is a Blu-ray thread, but I figured I'd mention this here.

A little while ago, I got from my local Walmart DVD re-releases of both Animaniacs: The Complete Series (which includes the film Animaniacs: Wakko's Wish and was done for the series' 25th anniversary (I think; please let me know if I'm right or wrong)) and Batman Beyond: The Complete Series for excellent prices (I think it was $39.99 each before tax, IIRC). The latter is also on Blu-ray, but the former, for some reason, isn't (btw, Batman: The Complete Animated Series was also re-released on DVD and Blu-ray at the same time, which includes all 85 episodes of Batman: The Animated Series and all 24 episodes of The New Batman Adventures (unfortunately, it did not include all 20 episodes of The Adventures of Batman & Robin - at least as far as I know (of course, I could be wrong; again, please let me know if I am or not))). I've already got the film Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker - The Original Uncut Version on DVD and, for my birthday and Christmas this year, I got the spin-off TV series The Zeta Project: Season 1 and The Zeta Project: Season 2, respectively, on DVD-R from Warner Archive. So, at last, my Batman Beyond Saga (the original DCAU version, that is) is complete!

By the day, is Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker - The Original Uncut Version available on Blu-ray or not? I don't know. UPDATE: I've read the Wikipedia article on the film and, from what I can see, it isn't...yet. Hopefully, that'll change someday, given enough time.

Now, I'm still waiting for the two Pinky and the Brain TV series to be re-released so I can complete that saga as well. I think Warner Bros. could re-release them one of two ways: either as two separate re-releases (Pinky and the Brain: The Complete Series and Pinky, Elmyra & the Brain: The Complete Series) or, to save both money and time, combine the two series into one re-release (and maybe call it Pinky and the Brain/Pinky, Elmyra & the Brain: The Complete Series), both with new artwork on the boxes (or box) and the cover sleeves (or cover sleeve) just like the other three re-releases. Whatever it is, I hope it'll be done sooner or later (maybe even now, due to the recent release of the Animaniacs reboot (which also includes Pinky and the Brain)).

What I'd like to ask is: of the two ways I've mentioned here, which do you guys and gals think is more likely to be done? I'd say the latter choice, the one I'm hoping they'll do, even though I believe they're going to do the former anyway.
Hey, does anyone have an opinion on this subject? Anyone at all?

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Carnosaur 2 is coming to blu-ray from Code Red DVD, no word on whether the first and third one.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

With Arrow having struck a deal with Kadokawa for their Daiei catalog, it'd be great if they could get around to releasing some of the Haruki Kadokawa-produced blockbusters (and some bombs) from the 70s and 80s like The Inugami Family, G.I. Samurai, Virus, Obayashi's School in the Crosshairs and Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Legend of the Eight Samurai. All are on BD in Japan, quite inexpensively too. A lot of them were released on DVD in the US by BCI back in the mid-2000s, and I'm guessing didn't sell well given you can buy them all for just a few bucks, but I imagine Arrow's supplies would be more limited and wouldn't be apart of misleading "Sonny Chiba Action Packs" or whatever.
mikelcho wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:22 pm*snip*
Batman: The Animated Series and Adventure of Batman and Robin are the same show, with B&R just being latter episodes of the first series rebranded under a different title. They're all on there.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:50 pm With Arrow having struck a deal with Kadokawa for their Daiei catalog, it'd be great if they could get around to releasing some of the Haruki Kadokawa-produced blockbusters (and some bombs) from the 70s and 80s like The Inugami Family, G.I. Samurai, Virus, Obayashi's School in the Crosshairs and Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Legend of the Eight Samurai. All are on BD in Japan, quite inexpensively too. A lot of them were released on DVD in the US by BCI back in the mid-2000s, and I'm guessing didn't sell well given you can buy them all for just a few bucks, but I imagine Arrow's supplies would be more limited and wouldn't be apart of misleading "Sonny Chiba Action Packs" or whatever.
mikelcho wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:22 pm*snip*
Batman: The Animated Series and Adventures of Batman & Robin are the same show, with B&R just being later episodes of the first series rebranded under a different title. They're all on there.
Thanks a lot; it's fixed.

It's a good thing that Arrow Video is going to release the old Daiei films, too. My local FYE has Warning from Space for $39.99 before tax and I hope first, that it's a first printing copy and second, I can get it before someone else does. Failing that, I'll have to order it from them. Then, I can concentrate on The Invisible Man Appears/The Invisible Man vs. the Human Fly coming in March and also Voyage into Space from AI-TV (which, I believe, is out now (having just seen it on the Ronin Flix website), but in limited quantities).

Now, if they can just release Rainbow Man, The Whale God and the Yokai Monsters trilogy (the first two each as individual releases and the third one as a 3-in-1 box set) for at least somewhat reasonable prices, that would be excellent!

Btw, if you don't mind my asking, what's your viewpoint on my question about the two Pinky and the Brain TV series? Which one of the two possibilities for DVD release do you think will be done with them?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:50 pm The Inugami Family
I really couldn't agree more that this would be perfect for Arrow:
I'd love to see the entire series of Ichikawa/Ishizaka Kosuke Kindaichi films get official English language releases. I know the sequels are instead in Toho's hands, so although a series box set is likely neither possible nor probable, I suppose there's nothing legally preventing Arrow from releasing the first film separately from the sequels.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:14 pmI really couldn't agree more that this would be perfect for Arrow:
I'd love to see the entire series of Ichikawa/Ishizaka Kosuke Kindaichi films get official English language releases. I know the sequels are instead in Toho's hands, so although a series box set is likely neither possible nor probable, I suppose there's nothing legally preventing Arrow from releasing the first film separately from the sequels.
I wasn't aware of the original book having been translated, thanks for the heads up! I watched the movie for the first time a few months ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it, and have the sequels pegged for a watch sometime. Given they're Toho-owned, the chances of them seeing any release in the US are pretty slim (Criterion Channel, maybe?), especially on Blu-Ray, considering they aren't even on BD in Japan. But here's hoping for the original sometime, in addition to the other Kadokawa flicks (I actually thought of buying Virus on Blu since the movie's largely in English, but I'd still rather have the Japanese scenes subbed).

m0nster01
Samurai

Post by m0nster01 »

Any news on horror movies from the thirties, such as: Mark of the vampire, the walking dead, mask of fu manchu, the Ghoul and Mad Love?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:26 am Given they're Toho-owned, the chances of them seeing any release in the US are pretty slim (Criterion Channel, maybe?), especially on Blu-Ray, considering they aren't even on BD in Japan.
That's true, but Arrow itself set a precedent when it released the Bloodthirsty Trilogy before Toho. I don't expect these movies any time soon, but it also wouldn't floor me if a Western release was announced tomorrow, either.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Is Earth Defense Widow available anywhere? It's a 2014 release, but looks like it's yet to make its way stateside?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

m0nster01 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:57 am Any news on horror movies from the thirties, such as: Mark of the vampire, the walking dead, mask of fu manchu, the Ghoul and Mad Love?
No word on blu-ray released for Mark Of The Vampire, Mask of Fu Manchu and Mad Love. But they're still available as MOD DVD set from the Warner Archive.

There is a British blu-ray for The Ghoul and there's nothing for the Walking Dead. Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Drive, one of the best overlooked martial arts film of the 90s, is finally getting a Bluray release from MVD Rewind. MVD has been great at releasing obscure sci-fi and action films from the 90s, having just released the Rutger Hauer horror thriller Split Second on Bluray for the first time.

https://filmcombatsyndicate.com/steve-w ... nt-in-may/
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

m0nster01
Samurai

Post by m0nster01 »

kingkevzilla88 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:29 am
m0nster01 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:57 am Any news on horror movies from the thirties, such as: Mark of the vampire, the walking dead, mask of fu manchu, the Ghoul and Mad Love?
No word on blu-ray released for Mark Of The Vampire, Mask of Fu Manchu and Mad Love. But they're still available as MOD DVD set from the Warner Archive.

There is a British blu-ray for The Ghoul and there's nothing for the Walking Dead. Sorry I couldn't have been more help.
I appreciate the info. Thank you so much!

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

m0nster01 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:29 am
kingkevzilla88 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:29 am

I appreciate the info. Thank you so much!

No problem, glad I could be of help.