Movies M.I.A on blu-ray

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
m0nster01
Samurai

Re: Movies M.I.A on blu-ray

Post by m0nster01 »

Green Slime is on blu-ray in North America
Last edited by m0nster01 on Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:41 pm Speaking of Japanese films, it's really annoying that the vintage Toei tokusatsu movies I'd like to nab are DVD-only: Prince of Space (which isn't even available on DVD until next month or something), Magic Serpent, Golden Bat, Terror Beneath the Sea, The Green Slime (the Chibikko Festival cut)... hell, I'd even be interested in Invasion of the Neptune Men on Blu-ray.
There are all of those, in addition to a lot of sleazy 70s actioners like Sex and Fury, School of the Holy Beast, Zero Woman and Violent Panic: The Big Crash. Arrow has given us a fair share of Toei action flicks (Many of which are unavailable on BD in Japan), but they seem to have slowed down on releases lately. Makes me wonder if something went down between them and Toei, given how unpredictable they can be.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

m0nster01 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:32 am Green Slime is on blu-ray in North America
Right, but the much shorter Japanese version isn't. I included that because it's representative of Toei's apathy towards putting its early tokusatsu films on Blu-ray.

Edit: A word.
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I haven't seen it, but I understand the Japanese version of Green Slime cuts out much of the obnoxious love triangle between Horton, Jaeckel and Paluzzi's characters, which I'm okay with...but it also lacks the awesome theme song of the US version, which I'm not okay with.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:14 pm
MaxRebo320 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:50 pm The Inugami Family
I really couldn't agree more that this would be perfect for Arrow:
I'd love to see the entire series of Ichikawa/Ishizaka Kosuke Kindaichi films get official English language releases. I know the sequels are instead in Toho's hands, so although a series box set is likely neither possible nor probable, I suppose there's nothing legally preventing Arrow from releasing the first film separately from the sequels.
And now there's a 4K remaster.

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Dang, nice! The notion of 4K remasters of films like G.I. Samurai, Virus and Legend of the 8 Samurai makes my mouth water. Kinda upset Arrow didn't announce anymore Kadokawa titles for early next year, but perhaps they're holding off...doubtful.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Gonna need Steve Reeves' Hercules flix to make the jump to Blu-ray... There's a Japanese release but neither film has English audio or subtitles and the video isn't good.

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:06 pm Gonna need Steve Reeves' Hercules flix to make the jump to Blu-ray... There's a Japanese release but neither film has English audio or subtitles and the video isn't good.
Yeah, these movies are not just entertaining and well-photographed by maestro Bava, they're also pretty significant to the history of foreign film distribution in the US.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Shout Factory announced their February releases today they have some awesome titles

Alligator 1980 on 4K and BD
Alligator 2 BD
The Howling 4K
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Someone was already releasing The Howling in the UK. Figured it was sooner than later for a US release. The Alligator movies on the other hand were completely unexpected. Kinda funny Alligator and The Howling are getting released at the same time seeing as both were written by John Sayles.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Purzel2205
Samurai

Post by Purzel2205 »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:41 pm Speaking of Japanese films, it's really annoying that the vintage Toei tokusatsu movies I'd like to nab are DVD-only: Prince of Space (which isn't even available on DVD until next month or something), Magic Serpent, Golden Bat, Terror Beneath the Sea, The Green Slime (the Chibikko Festival cut)... hell, I'd even be interested in Invasion of the Neptune Men on Blu-ray. Ditto ShinToho's Space Giant films, although I don't know what Japanese company owns those today.
There is a great German Blu-ray of Terror Beneath the Sea, it doesn't include English subtitles for the Japanese version though. There is only English audio for the American cut.
Love that movie, especially Andrew Hughes' acting in it (my profile picture :lol:)
gvamp wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:14 pm Shout Factory announced their February releases today they have some awesome titles

Alligator 1980 on 4K and BD
Alligator 2 BD
The Howling 4K
when will the REAL 1980 crocodile movie be out on BD? :dizzy:
Actually a whole Sompote Sands memorial set would be great
Last edited by Purzel2205 on Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Gigantis, the fire monster? I thought not. It's not a story the Toho studios would tell you...

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:41 pm Speaking of Japanese films, it's really annoying that the vintage Toei tokusatsu movies I'd like to nab are DVD-only: Prince of Space (which isn't even available on DVD until next month or something), Magic Serpent, Golden Bat, Terror Beneath the Sea, The Green Slime (the Chibikko Festival cut)... hell, I'd even be interested in Invasion of the Neptune Men on Blu-ray. Ditto ShinToho's Space Giant films, although I don't know what Japanese company owns those today.
Something Weird Video released the four U.S. Starman films on two DVDs a while back if you want them (btw, they used the version of the first film that was called Atomic Rulers, not the one called Atomic Rulers of the World (the latter of which I'm presuming was the original version released in the U.S.)), but I'm presuming you're interested only in the nine Shintoho Japanese Super Giant films, all unedited and subtitled in English.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Just gonna repost this
Angilasman wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:51 am It's pretty much a given that all American toku fans want Kamen Rider home video releases over here - but seeing Keita Amemiya's wraparound cover paininting for the Japanese triple-feature blu-ray of Kamen Rider Shin/ZO/J? Never have I felt a mightier need for a release to be ported over here with that cover art!

https://mobile.twitter.com/Htop_Gunder/ ... 1855531008

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Tombstone reportedly heading to 4K this year. The new The Abyss transfer is finished and could reportedly hit Bluray and 4K as early as August. JBlo says take it with a grain of salt for now but that's what they're hearing.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Disney's 91 White fang, while a relatively standard narrative affair from Disney, this film has some spectacular photography of Alaska. As far as I can tell it has never been released on Bluray which really is a shame.

I think Kurasawa's cure has been released on blu ray for non US regions but not us, although there might be some ways around it.
He Jock it Made of Steel

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:32 pm(Plus, there are still a number of Juzo Itami films that haven't been released yet... too many Japanese classics unavailable in HD here.)
At long last, Criterion has announced Juzo Itami's The Funeral on Blu. I was kind of hoping for a big boxset myself, but this is still an easy purchase from me.

Also, Double Indemnity in 4K. That'll be among my first purchases whenever I finally upgrade.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Excellent!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Gonna check out The Funeral on the Criterion Channel. Premise certainly sounds interesting.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

With it being the 20 year anniversary, I BADLY want Blade II in 4K. I was happy to get the first and I would like the 2nd to go with it.

I really didn't care for the 3rd film outside of Reynolds playing proto-Wade Wilson....but the first 2 are gems in my opinion.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Fire in the Sky is finally coming to HD and Bluray from Scream Factory. Featuring an all star 90s cast and one of the most chilling alien abduction sequences ever put to film.

https://twitter.com/Scream_Factory/stat ... OUJHA&s=19