Gamera Arrow Limited Edition set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Sekizawa
Samurai

Re: Gamera Arrow Limited Edition set

Post by Sekizawa »

It’s not on the extras disc. It’s on the G3 one as an alternate audio track.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

Sekizawa wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:58 pm It’s not on the extras disc. It’s on the G3 one as an alternate audio track.
Could you provide some more details? Which box set? Are you suggesting that Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris has a feature-length comedy audio track?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

SpiderZilla wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:00 am
Sekizawa wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:58 pm It’s not on the extras disc. It’s on the G3 one as an alternate audio track.
Could you provide some more details? Which box set? Are you suggesting that Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris has a feature-length comedy audio track?
Yes. The original ADVision DVD had some dumbass redneck comedy bonus commentary track.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:29 am
Yes. The original ADVision DVD had some dumbass redneck comedy bonus commentary track.
ADV’s DVD box set has a comedy audio track for G3. It’s a commentary-style audio track featuring Gamera, Iris, and Soldier #6 (but is unrelated to the Lake Texarkana Gamera dub track from G2). Best as I can tell, the comedy audio track on the G3 disc of Arrow’s Blu-ray box set matches the one found on ADV’s DVD box set.

Sekizawa
Samurai

Post by Sekizawa »

Both Gamera 2 and Gamera 3 have full length comedy audiotracks, both the ADV and Arrow box sets. Tried to post photos but board won’t let me. On the Arrow discs hit ‘setup’ and then ‘audio’ and you’ll see them.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

Sekizawa wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:13 pm Both Gamera 2 and Gamera 3 have full length comedy audiotracks, both the ADV and Arrow box sets.
But just to be clear, the Lake Texarkana Gamera dub track on the G2 disc of the ADV DVD box set does not match the Lake Texarkana Gamera dub track on the G2 disc of the Arrow Blu-ray box set. Both are feature length but ADV’s version has more characters’ lines replaced than Arrow’s version, and in a few places the replaced lines are different between the two versions. (I personally refer to the version on ADV’s DVD box set as the “full” version and the version on Arrow’s Blu-ray box set as the “lite” version.)

In addition, the Lake Texarkana Gamera on the G2 disc of ADV’s DVD box set does not match the Lake Texarkana Gamera extra on the G2 disc that ADV released for individual sale the year before the box set was released. The version on the disc in the box set is feature length (and plays as an alternate audio track to the movie) while the version on the disc marked for individual sale is only 13 minutes long (and is a separate clip reel on the disc’s extra features).

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

There are people who have sat through that entire thing... more than once???
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

eabaker wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:17 am There are people who have sat through that entire thing... more than once???
I remember listening through a few minutes of it and then turning it off, thinking it was pretty fricking dumb. I'm actually really shocked anyone actually cares that this (or anything even remotely like it) ended up on the Arrow set.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:27 am
eabaker wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:17 am There are people who have sat through that entire thing... more than once???
I remember listening through a few minutes of it and then turning it off, thinking it was pretty fricking dumb. I'm actually really shocked anyone actually cares that this (or anything even remotely like it) ended up on the Arrow set.
Well, you know, humor's subjective and all.

For my part, I can barely remember it. I was just a mid-teenager when I last saw it long ago.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

Great Hierophant wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:37 am
Did Arrow ever fix the sync issue with the English dub on Gamera The Brave? I think the Media Blasters DVD which I have does not have any sync issues.
To probably answer my own question, the sync on the "Unlimited Edition" Blu-ray, which I picked up in January, has English dub sync notably off compared to the DVD. For example in the early scene where Toru is playing with his friends by the ocean, he says "I said, cut it out" 17 frames or so earlier in the Blu-ray than the DVD. The Japanese dialogue is within 3 frames or so of the dub on the Blu-ray.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I've been trying to consolidate my media collection. As much as I love the Gamera Limited edition set, I've decided that I no longer had space for large novelty sets in my media collection. I sold it, and purchased the standard sets which look much better on my shelf.

I also decided to sell of the many doubles and triple's of low budget DVD's of AI TV prints now that the Gamera sets basically have the dub tracks , and credit sequences, even if only as bonus features, it relieves me of a LOT of space in my collection.

A couple of things however... Based on the conversation above (about the differing Texarkana dubs), is there a comprehensive list (no matter how much minutiae) of what basically has existed in other releases that the "Complete Collection" doesn't have?

Things I am aware of:
1. MST3K presentations of "Gamera, Barugon, Gaos, Guiron, and Zigra) (I am keeping those DVD's) ;)
2. Elvira riff of Gamera Super Monster
3. Mr. Lobo riff of Gamera Super Monster
4. Audio commentary with Carl Craig from "Destroy All Planets 2010" Retromedia DVD (with Brett Homenick and Damon Foster) *I assume this is different from the commentary also with Carl Craig and Jim Cirronella on the Arrow Blu Ray
5. Neptune VHS English Credit Sequences for Gamera vs "Guillon", and Zigra

As stated, I'm keeping #1 on my list. #2 and 3 I couldn't give an ats rass about. #4 and #5 would be "nice to have's" in digital form. I actually have all 3 Neptune Media English VHS dubs, so I could transfer them myself, but they wouldn't look as good.

Any other items listed would be nice to know about. Gamera vs Jiger just was released on the new MST3K platform. I would like to see it, but I haven't really read if the new episodes are good or not. I obviously didn't back the Gizmoplex.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

o.supreme wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:28 pm 1. MST3K presentations of "Gamera, Barugon, Gaos, Guiron, and Zigra) (I am keeping those DVD's) ;)
RiffTrax did Gammera the Invincible (i.e. the other English dub as opposed to the version that MST3K used). The digital download is available for purchase on their web site. You can also watch the entire presentation for free (with ads) on Tubi to decide whether it’s worth the purchase.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

o.supreme wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:28 pm I've been trying to consolidate my media collection. As much as I love the Gamera Limited edition set, I've decided that I no longer had space for large novelty sets in my media collection. I sold it, and purchased the standard sets which look much better on my shelf.

I also decided to sell of the many doubles and triple's of low budget DVD's of AI TV prints now that the Gamera sets basically have the dub tracks , and credit sequences, even if only as bonus features, it relieves me of a LOT of space in my collection.

A couple of things however... Based on the conversation above (about the differing Texarkana dubs), is there a comprehensive list (no matter how much minutiae) of what basically has existed in other releases that the "Complete Collection" doesn't have?

Things I am aware of:
1. MST3K presentations of "Gamera, Barugon, Gaos, Guiron, and Zigra) (I am keeping those DVD's) ;)
2. Elvira riff of Gamera Super Monster
3. Mr. Lobo riff of Gamera Super Monster
4. Audio commentary with Carl Craig from "Destroy All Planets 2010" Retromedia DVD (with Brett Homenick and Damon Foster) *I assume this is different from the commentary also with Carl Craig and Jim Cirronella on the Arrow Blu Ray
5. Neptune VHS English Credit Sequences for Gamera vs "Guillon", and Zigra

As stated, I'm keeping #1 on my list. #2 and 3 I couldn't give an ats rass about. #4 and #5 would be "nice to have's" in digital form. I actually have all 3 Neptune Media English VHS dubs, so I could transfer them myself, but they wouldn't look as good.

Any other items listed would be nice to know about. Gamera vs Jiger just was released on the new MST3K platform. I would like to see it, but I haven't really read if the new episodes are good or not. I obviously didn't back the Gizmoplex.
You said you're aware of Image Entertainment/Retromedia's DVD release Destroy All Planets/Attack of the Monsters, but did you know they released three more Daiei DVD releases after that? They are:

*Gamera vs. Monster X/Monster from a Prehistoric Planet,
*Return of the Giant Monsters/The Magic Serpent and
*Majin the Monster of Terror/Return of Giant Majin.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

^ Yes I owned those as well ( just sold them), but as far as Gamera content, there's nothing on those discs that the Arrow releases dosen't include.

Spider Zilla- thanks for the reminder about RiffTrax Gammera. Yes I actually purchased it digitally on Amazon. If a physical media release was ever made available, I'd get it for sure.
Last edited by o.supreme on Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

o.supreme wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:31 pm ^ Yes I owned those as well ( just sold them), but as far as Gamera content, there's nothing on those discs that the Arrow releases dosen't include.

Spider Zilla- thanks for the reminder about RiffTrax Gammera. Yes I actually purchased it digitally on Amazon. If a physical media release was ever made available, I'd get it for sure.
Buy it from riffteax directly and they give you the ability to download it and or make dvd of it. At least last I checked they still offered that latter option

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Heads up, if anyone is still looking for Arrow's limited edition Gamera: The Complete Collection box set, there are currently three reasonably priced listings from third-party sellers on Amazon and eBay.

This eBay listing has no bids yet and is seeking a $150 starting bid.

This eBay listing has the option to buy it now for $190.

On Amazon, the seller "HPB-Diamond" has a used listing with a $187.50 asking price.

For reference, when Arrow released this set back in 2020, the MSRP was $179.99.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

I wish they’d release those comics separately!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

KingCornetto wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:08 pm I wish they’d release those comics separately!
They did, like...30 years ago. Matt Frank also has the Last Hope comic available at his convention appearances.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

[quote=UltramanGoji post_id=1938048 time=1690501406

They did, like...30 years ago. Matt Frank also has the Last Hope comic available at his convention appearances.
[/quote]

Well, I meant just the hardcover, separately from the movies. Maybe someday.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

What all is exclusive to the disk set? The comics, some special features, anything else? And did Arrow ever elaborate on why some of the items would never be re-released, just contract stuff to keep exclusivity or some other legal reason.
He Jock it Made of Steel