Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Angilasman
G-Grasper

Re: Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

Post by Angilasman »

Gonna try to catch both showtimes.

Just so happens it synchs up with the winter break I wanted to take anyway, since I got no extra time off for the holidays and they frown on taking vacation days during that period.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Going to see this later today, I'm excited! Can't wait to see Bin Furuya as Ultraman again and to see what Shinji Higuchi's been cooking.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Less than half an hour! So stoked.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

If nothing else, I thought the pacing was immaculate. Only a couple things I could nitpick.
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

I just got home from watching it, it was a masterpiece.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

It's VOD, DVD, and Bluray already planned. To release sooner rather than later.

https://twitter.com/GormaruIsland/statu ... tP_hA&s=19
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Really enjoyed it. I feel like the 'work together' to help solve a problem was done a bit better in Shin Godzilla. This was just gonna glossed over with one scene. Perhaps if Ultraman was in Shin Godzilla then the same thing would have happened.

NOW GIVE US SHIN ULTRASEVEN AND SHIN ULTRAMAN Z!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I'd rather see Shin RoU.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Shin Ultraman... Z? Huh?

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

My brother and I saw it last night and enjoyed it immensely. I loved how “larger than life” it was. And similar to Shin Godzilla, it’s cool getting to see a “new” version for my adulthood that is close to home but also different enough where I can kind of separate it in its own category. I do think that this would greatly appeal to kids, more so than Shin Godzilla, and that the dubbed screening might be a way of catering to that crowd.

10/10, refreshing and will definitely be watching a second time.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I came back from last night's showing feeling positively energized; that was a good movie! I do feel this won't be remembered as strongly as Shin Godzilla down the line, but it's a solid film with some neat renovations and twists on the classic Ultraman episodes and characters. This is more of a political intrigue film than a straight-up monster action film, but it feels like an action film nonetheless with how fast-paced the story is (for better or worse). The visual effects are a bit hit-or-miss, but the cinematography is great as expected, and I'm already looking up the soundtrack and getting hooked all over again.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Well I'm happy to report everyone I saw Shin Ultraman with (9 persons total including myself) seemed to really enjoy it. One of my friends brought his 3 sons. They had seen some power rangers via their Dad who is about 10 years younger than I. They are also into Godzilla. After this, they will be onto Ultraman for a while so I'd say mission accomplished generating interest and new fans.

As someone who paid for really terrible VHS bootleg tapes 30 years ago at conventions, and all these kids have to do is look up Ultraman on Tubi, they'll never know how fortunate they are. I actually wanted to see the Dub tonight, as I had already seen a subtitled version once prior, but I have commitments tonight. Oh well, as stated, a media release will be available soon enough.

That is to be expected. We got Shin Godzilla subbed about 3 months after its Japanese theatrical release, a real miracle all things considered It made sense that a Blu Ray/DVD release took almost another year to be prepped. Shin Ultraman was released what...8 or 9 months ago in Japan? I'm sure most of the prep work for a physical media release has already been done in the meantime.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Just came back from watching Shin Ultraman's English dub and quite honestly, this is the most I've enjoyed the movie. My main criticism with the original subtitled version is how dull most of the characters are and the voice actors have absolutely rectified that in my eyes. Personally, my favorite performance goes to Kellen Goff as Zarab. He made that portion of the movie a blast.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Saw the dubbed version (which is usually my first choice for these movies) earlier tonight. Overall, I just found it okay. The scenes with Neronga and Gabora were the main highlights for me.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

You know, I've liked and even loved several kaiju films made in the last few decades, but I think Shin Ultraman is my favorite since the Gamera trilogy. It's cracked my top ten. I love this movie. The lack of tactile, practical effects is the only mark against it (but I love the aesthetic, overall).

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Angilasman wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:53 am You know, I've liked and even loved several kaiju films made in the last few decades, but I think Shin Ultraman is my favorite since the Gamera trilogy. It's cracked my top ten. I love this movie. The lack of tactile, practical effects is the only mark against it (but I love the aesthetic, overall).
I’m feeling this way too. Been giving it a few days to let it sit in my mind awhile but I found it to be one of the best kaiju and superhero films I’ve seen in years. I don’t really know how to compare it with Shin Godzilla (or if I prefer one over the other) but I like that I can separate them into a category for my adulthood and don’t feel the need to compare them to what I watched as a kid.

On that note, I love suitmation, but think that the motion capture and CGI worked in this film’s favor. Having Bin Furuya reprise the role of Ultraman was an excellent way to compensate and take advantage of that kind of tech, and is the sort of thing that could not have been achieved otherwise. It also helped me accept that the old methods are changing, but the spirit of the original era can still be retained. I think over time they’ll find a way to blend them really well.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Shin Ultraman is officially nominated for 7 Japanese Academy Prizes including Best Picture and Best Director.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I eagerly await the day when the spoiler ban is lifted.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:37 pm I eagerly await the day when the spoiler ban is lifted.
Well, luckily for you that day was a few weeks ago...

This thread is just a rememant of the time between the film's Japanese release and it's Western Release and sharing info about it that wasn't spoiler related. A way to relay thoughts without saying anything plot specific. I think this thread has outlived it's purpose though, and it'll probably just die out eventually/and or I'll lock it.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Don’t lock it yet!! Some of us (okay… me.) haven’t seen it yet! I avoid the other threads and come here for news about the home video release.

Added in 1 minute 41 seconds:
Oh, also, for those who have seen it:

Without spoiling things, what is the minimum age you’d say this film is appropriate for? I’d love to watch it fresh with my kids but they aren’t ready for anything beyond a family friendly PG rating yet.