Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

Post by mikelcho »

Well, I just sent an email to Mill Creek about getting my new cardboard slipcover for The Birth of Ultraman Blu-ray. Wish me luck. I hope it doesn't cost me any money to get it.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat May 28, 2022 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:25 pm
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:54 pm
mikelcho wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:39 am I just looked at Mill Creek's website and Ultraman Mebius is on it.

And I also noticed that Secrets of The Rise of Ultraman is sold out on said website. Boy, am I glad I got that one when I did, along with The Birth of Ultraman.

Speaking of which, when I got my copy of The Birth of Ultraman, there was a small tear on the top front of the slipcover due to shipping. Does anyone here have a spare slipcover for this Blu-ray they don't need or don't want any more - untorn and in excellent condition, of course? If so, please PM me and we'll talk terms. Thanks!
You should reach out to Mill Creek, I got a Mega Monster Battle set without the slip. When I called they sent me a new one.
Okay, thanks! I'll try it and keep you posted.
As you can see on my above post, I sent an email via the website and so far haven't heard anything from anyone.

When I called them @(866) 410-9000 (which I also got from the website, btw) and went to customer service as it directed, all I got was a machine message that didn't even say "Please stay on the line; a representative will be with you shortly" like a lot of other places I've called in the past.

However, they did say that if I knew my party's extension to use it. My question is, what's the extension for Mill Creek's customer service? I want to talk to a person, not a machine. Can anyone please help me out here?
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue May 31, 2022 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

First off, just be patient. I will say their communication is not great, However, you sent an email on Saturday. Most of these places only work M-F and yesterday was a holiday, so chances are they haven't even seen your email yet.

Unfortunately I don't know about talking to someone online. All I know is, a while back, I was missing a booklet for one of the sets. After about 3 emails, it just showed up in my postal mail one day, I had provided my address in those emails.

I wish the communication was better, but unfortunately for a budget company, it isn't. Seeing as how that BRD was a DD special, they may not have extra slipcovers, but I hope it works out for you.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

mikelcho wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:09 am
mikelcho wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:25 pm
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:54 pm

You should reach out to Mill Creek, I got a Mega Monster Battle set without the slip. When I called they sent me a new one.
Okay, thanks! I'll try it and keep you posted.
As you can see on my above post, I sent an email via the website and so far haven't heard anything from anyone.

When I called them @(866) 410-9000 (which I also got from the website, btw) and went to customer service as it directed, all I got was a machine message that didn't even say "Please stay on the line; a representative will be with you shortly" like a lot of other places I've called in the past.

However, they did say that if I knew my party's extension to use it. My question is, what's the extension for Mill Creek's customer service? I want to talk to a person, not a machine. Can anyone please help me out here?
You could also contact them on social media, either from Facebook or Twitter. I'd do it in a private message though. Or as o.supreme has said just be patient this was holiday weekend, so they were most likely out of the office until Tuesday or Wednesday.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:00 pm Now does TsuPro have the ability to license Ultra Q: Dark Fantasy? That was a Shochiku production if I remember correctly, and done through a production company established by one of the Tsuburaya children.
Ultra Q Dark Fantasy was one of a handful of titles that TPC wasn't offering for international licensing when they made their bulk deal with Mill Creek in 2019. Others include Ultraman: Towards the Future, Ultraman: The Ultimate Hero, the Heisei-era UltraSeven specials, Ultra Q The Movie: Legend of the Stars and Ultraman Tiga: The Final Odyssey.

It's unlikely that any of those titles have become available to license from TPC in the years since. Hopefully Mill Creek will be able to license Ultraman Taiga, Ultraman Z, Ultraman Trigger and the Netflix anime series before too long.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

As I said in the Dyna thread, I just finished that show off and can't wait for more Ultra shows. I'm going to take a break from the series though and I'll probably come back to it once the remaining shows are out, that way I can go right through the rest of the series one right after another.

Hopefully the remaining four shows will be out before the years end.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

Presumably I’m thinking Nexus/The Next will get announced for Aug/Sept on Ultraman Day. Hopefully along with dates on Cosmos and Max and Neos would cover everything left iirc
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I predicted at the beginning of the year that MC would have all of its previously contracted Ultraman content out by end of 2022, an that seems more and more likely given what's left.

However concerning Ultraman Day, I've heard nothing. I'm hoping for something exciting, but I have doubts. I hope I am wrong. While Mebius on DVD turned out to be a real treat (defying the odds with little to no compression at 10 episodes per disc), the lackluster packaging shows that pretty much MC just wants to get these out and done.

I was kind of hoping that Zearth on DVD was an error (Like Ultraseven X) seeing as how it was a theatrical release and HD elements exist, but 5 weeks away from it's release, it seems less and less likely. Speaking of which, we still dont have any packaging artwork for Zearth or Kids... :?:

Neos, "The Next" film, and Cosmos 3 movies could all potentially have BRD releases. I would actually prefer that, rather than have the films bundled with DVD sets of the series they are tied to, but at this point I'm not getting my hopes up.

For Ultraman Day I'd love to hear about a contract extension between MC and TPC to get more content (old and new), as well as perhaps a few surprises (not just that the last 4 series we are expecting will be coming on DVD), but it's been quiet for a while.

I'm not on FB or any major social media platform, has Keith Aiken posted anything recently?
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

gvamp wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:59 pm
mikelcho wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:09 am
mikelcho wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:25 pm Okay, thanks! I'll try it and keep you posted.

You could also contact them on social media, either from Facebook or Twitter. I'd do it in a private message though. Or as o.supreme has said just be patient this was holiday weekend, so they were most likely out of the office until Tuesday or Wednesday.
Well, I looked up Deep Discount, and they've still got The Birth of Ultraman on their website.

My next question is, does this company have physical stores and/or a snail mail address, or do I have to go on their website to buy it?

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

Last edited by Saturndusk on Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Disappointed at Neos being DVD instead of Blu Ray, oh well....Also was hoping Cosmos would put the 3 movies on a separate Blu Ray release, not happening either, but at least it's 8 DVD.

Fitting 65 episodes on 7 discs would break down as 10 on the first 2, and 9 on the remaining 5. Then the last DVD to squeeze all 3 movies on...

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

o.supreme wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:11 am Disappointed at Neos being DVD instead of Blu Ray, oh well....Also was hoping Cosmos would put the 3 movies on a separate Blu Ray release, not happening either, but at least it's 8 DVD.

Fitting 65 episodes on 7 discs would break down as 10 on the first 2, and 9 on the remaining 5. Then the last DVD to squeeze all 3 movies on...
Perhaps Cosmos will have 10 episodes apiece on the first five discs, 9 episodes on the sixth disc, 6 episodes and 1 movie on the seventh disc, and the last 2 movies on the last disc. I doubt this set will fit both cuts of the second movie.

Have Ultraman: The Next, the Cosmos movies or the Zearth flicks been released on BRD in Japan yet? Is it even known if they were shot on film or just on standard-definition video like the shows of those years?

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:59 pm Have Ultraman: The Next, the Cosmos movies or the Zearth flicks been released on BRD in Japan yet? Is it even known if they were shot on film or just on standard-definition video like the shows of those years?
The Zearth movies have been released on Blu-ray in Japan.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Almost all the Heisei series have been released on Blu Ray in Japan. It's just that the series shot on video for TV were upscales.

The Zearth Movies, The Next Film, and 3 Cosmos Movies wee all theatrical releases shot in film however and have HD elements available. I guess TPC didn't give them to MC, or MC chose not to use them?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I figure MC just didn't bother asking for HD materials. They've cheapened out considerably on these Ultra releases once the first set of Showa Blu-rays finished releasing.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

G-Matt wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:03 pm
StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:59 pm Have Ultraman: The Next, the Cosmos movies or the Zearth flicks been released on BRD in Japan yet? Is it even known if they were shot on film or just on standard-definition video like the shows of those years?
The Zearth movies have been released on Blu-ray in Japan.
Cool, thanks for the info. Do you know if they're presented in high definition or if they're just standard-definition upscales?

o.supreme wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:49 am The Zearth Movies, The Next Film, and 3 Cosmos Movies wee all theatrical releases shot in film however and have HD elements available.
Do we know for sure that all of those movies were shot on film, though? One thing that surprised me about Shin Ultraman's reception is that it's actually the very first Ultraman movie to top 1 billion yen at the Japanese box office. That's not a high threshold, as all of the Millennium Godzilla flicks managed to top 1 billion yen, even notorious flops like Megaguirus and Final Wars. I guess that means that all of the prior Ultraman movies have always played rather exclusively to fans of the contemporary Ultraman shows, so TPC has probably never spent much more to produce the movies than they've spent to produce the shows. Considering that, I wouldn't be surprised if the '90s and early 2000s movies were likewise shot on standard-definition video tape, or standard-definition digital video in the case of The Next and Ultraman Mebius and the Ultra Brothers.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

mikelcho wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:39 pm
gvamp wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:59 pm
mikelcho wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:09 am As you can see on my above post, I sent an email via the website and so far haven't heard anything from anyone.

Well, I looked up Deep Discount, and they've still got The Birth of Ultraman on their website.

My next question is, does this company have physical stores and/or a snail mail address, or do I have to go on their website to buy it?
Sorry for the super late response but Deep Discount is only online so you'd have to order from their website. They're actually pretty reliable I've ordered from them several times before in the past.

On a side note, today Sci-Fi Japan made a post stating that Mill Creek intends to release all the stuff they have by the end of the year so its looking like Zearth and Ultra Kids the end of this month, Neos/Cosomos in September and Max/Nexus in October or November.

PC Specs

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I know they all hope to be released by end of the year, but some of the release dates are going all over the place.

Zearth DVD Double Feature has been delayed yet again to October 11th, and Ultraman Kids to December 6th: (some sites still show 7/26, others have removed their listings for Zearth and Kids entirely; but given we haven't seen artwork yet, another delay seems inevitable sadly)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ultraman-z ... d=35566545

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ultraman-k ... d=35566554

Hopefully in tomorrow's broadcast some clarity about all 6 of the last releases (including accurate dates) will be given.

Also hoping for an announcement of a new contract with additional content for 2023. (Taiga, Z, Ultra Galaxy Fight, and Trigger at a minimum;

"The Adventure Begins" Animated Film, Ultra Q The Movie, Great, Powered, Heisei Ultraseven, Ultra Q Dark Fantasy, and Tiga: The Final Odyssey would nicely fill most of the gaps in the collection)
Last edited by o.supreme on Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

I’ve not kept up with these releases. Is the Birth of Ultraman set still the only way to get (a few of) the original English dubs on Bluray?

If you’re looking to get any sets, deepdiscount is running a half off sale on all Ultraman titles today only.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

canofhumdingers wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:33 am I’ve not kept up with these releases. Is the Birth of Ultraman set still the only way to get (a few of) the original English dubs on Bluray?
They released another one.

Added in 6 minutes 32 seconds:
o.supreme wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:58 pm Ultra Q The Movie
Tsuburaya Productions evidently wasn't involved with this one, so I don't believe they can license it. It was produced by Tsuburaya Video (now known as something else and I'm too lazy to look it up, sorry), which at the time was a startup by Akira Tsuburaya (Eiji's youngest son) and not associated with his father's company. TPC is only credited in Q: The Movie for having produced the original TV show.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.