Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Re: Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

Post by canofhumdingers »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:49 am
canofhumdingers wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:33 am I’ve not kept up with these releases. Is the Birth of Ultraman set still the only way to get (a few of) the original English dubs on Bluray?
They released another one.
Sweet, thanks! It’d be nice to have them all in one go but at least this is a start. My kids really enjoy Ultraman but are still too young for subtitles.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Yeah, I've had a bad feeling about the direction of the Mill Creek Ultra releases for a while, so while I'd prefer to nab all the dubbed versions in a single hypothetical collection, I went ahead and ordered the episodes that are available just so I don't end up missing out on ~half of the show.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Same. They sucked me in with the half off sale today. Just ordered both sets that have dubbed episodes. While it’s not the whole series, it’s more than enough episodes to watch with my kiddos for a while.

And I’m not a huge Ultraman fan but I have grown to enjoy the earlier shows well enough over time to want to own at least some of them.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Unfortunately the half off sale isn't that great as it's from the MSRP, so it's close to what most of these sets sell for on some sites like Amazon anyway, but for any who didn't get them previously it's a good chance to get a lot all at once.

I got the birth and rise DD BRD for around the same price as today's sale a few months back as I was just desperate for something new. I even caved and got the Ultraman Zero Chronicle set last month, out of boredom, but it was only a couple dollars more than today's sale.

Anyone who got the steel book sets for $10 is probably feeling pretty good at this point,since the sale offers nothing close to that.

--That is a shame about the Ultra Movie. Oh well, I am thankful for the high quality fansub, at least we have that.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Eh, the sale worked for me. It was cheaper than Amazon AND it got my attention to actually look at what was available.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Unfortunately I had other obligations last night. I take it by the lack of news, nothing of significance happened during the Tokushoutsu Ultraman Day celebration event?
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

canofhumdingers wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:45 pm Same. They sucked me in with the half off sale today. Just ordered both sets that have dubbed episodes. While it’s not the whole series, it’s more than enough episodes to watch with my kiddos for a while.

And I’m not a huge Ultraman fan but I have grown to enjoy the earlier shows well enough over time to want to own at least some of them.
I'm not compelled to own them either, especially with them available on free streaming. The only Ultra shows I'm remotely passionate about are UM66, Seven and, to a much lesser degree, Ultra Q, but there are aspects to the Mill Creek releases of all three that have prevented me from buying them.

Now, if they ever work out a way to release the dubbed version of Ultra Q (or the Cinar-dubbed TNT version of Seven), I'd buy that in an instant. But at this point I'm not certain we'll even get all 39 dubbed episodes of Ultraman, so... Bummer.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Yeah, pretty disappointing "Ultraman Day" overall, with MC just confirming they are releasing what we already know they have the rights to. I was at least hoping Ultraman: The Next would get a standalone Blu-Ray, but it looks like it's getting tossed in with the Nexus set. At least it should have its own disc in the set, since Nexus is a short show.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

Did they ever mention anything about Powered and Great (Toward The Future)? I have a real soft spot for those and would love to have an official copy.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Great and Powered are not part of the current deal with Mill Creek as those are co productions. Fortunately they are free to watch on YT among other places. However if no new deal is reached in the next year,I may spring for the TPC Blu Ray of both since they have the original English language versions, and now that I have experience ordering directly from Amazon Japan.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

o.supreme wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:35 pm Great and Powered are not part of the current deal with Mill Creek as those are co productions. Fortunately they are free to watch on YT among other places. However if no new deal is reached in the next year,I may spring for the TPC Blu Ray of both since they have the original English language versions, and now that I have experience ordering directly from Amazon Japan.
Isn't the quality on those releases the same as the YT ones?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Are any of the non-Ultra Tsuya series included?
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:13 pm Are any of the non-Ultra Tsuya series included?
Aside from Gridman: The Hyper Agent, I don't believe so. Which is a shame as far as I'm concerned, because I'm more interested in the non-hero shows TPC was making in the '60s and '70s.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Shouldn't Mirrorman at least be included since it was on TokuHD?
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Mirrorman episodes were released one per week in HD on TPC YouTube channel. Again, not part of the physical media deal with MC, but hopefully if there is a new contract, Mirrorman along with many others Terasawa inferred could be possible acquisitions? I'd buy them all, Even Star Wolf ( Fugitive Alien) 😉

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

o.supreme wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:36 pm Mirrorman episodes were released one per week in HD on TPC YouTube channel. Again, not part of the physical media deal with MC, but hopefully if there is a new contract, Mirrorman along with many others Terasawa inferred could be possible acquisitions? I'd buy them all, Even Star Wolf ( Fugitive Alien) 😉
The three TPC series I'm most interested in getting over here are Mighty Jack, Operation Mystery, and Horror Theater: Unbalance, but I imagine those are all way too niche for Mill Creek (which seems to be limping to the finish with the Ultra shows). But Star Wolf would be nice, I think that looks like a pretty cool show.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

o.supreme wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:35 pm Great and Powered are not part of the current deal with Mill Creek as those are co productions. Fortunately they are free to watch on YT among other places. However if no new deal is reached in the next year,I may spring for the TPC Blu Ray of both since they have the original English language versions, and now that I have experience ordering directly from Amazon Japan.
Ah yes, I think I remember hearing that now. I've found them through the years, but I just like the idea of having a nice BR set.

That said, I still haven't picked up most of the DVD Ultra series from Mill Creek. I know it's largely not that big of a deal, but I prefer the BRs so I've been kinda dragging my feet on those.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Even though they're upscales I really hope we get the BDs of Tiga, Dyna and Gaia later on down the line. From what I saw on YouTube when Tsuburaya did their DVD and BD comparison the BDs looked a lot better. Dyna didn't look too bad in some episodes, and I haven't started Gaia yet. I'm going to hold off until the end of the year or next year and just go through the rest of the series after Mill Creek releases what they have.

I'm hoping next year Mill Creek announces a contract extension along with the license for Taiga, Z and Trigger. I doubt they'd do Decker this early. A Shin Ultraman release would be nice too.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

There is a Brazilian seller offering a Tiga Blu Ray set (among a few others) on eBay . I got it not only for the upscale, but because it includes the film Final Odyssey which the MC set did not. The set has drawn some criticism, but for what it's worth, I think it looks great.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

I suspect if Mill Creek offers to do more releases, we'll get the stuff we 'skipped' over. Like, Q the movie, Q Dark Fantasy, the 90's Ultraseven OVAs, Powered, Great, USA, and the more recent shows, and maybe Mirrorman, since Tsuburaya's been pushing his series a lot.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.