The Disney Thread.

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: The Disney Thread.

Post by Gigantis »

Leviarex wrote:Here's Doug Walker's review of the 'Mulan' remake, and if what he has to say (including some amazingly good points about strength and character arcs)is to be believed, it (not too surprisingly) turned out as bad as many predicted it would:

video
I honestly will never listen to Doug after his little controversy in 2018, but honestly i don't think Mulan looks that good. Then again i was surprised with Aladdin so who knows?

Still not paying for it though.
Last edited by Gigantis on Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Leviarex wrote:Here's Doug Walker's review of the 'Mulan' remake, and if what he has to say (including some amazingly good points about strength and character arcs)is to be believed, it (not too surprisingly) turned out as bad as many predicted it would:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gT62lmaRX6c
Doug Walker eh? Thats so 2013
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

See? Shows you there's no point in these lifeless carbon copy live-action remakes. They've only been made to prey off of people's nostalgia. Lazy.

Better off sticking to the animated classics. There was no reason for these to exist.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:See? Shows you there's no point in these lifeless carbon copy live-action remakes. They've only been made to take advantage of people's nostalgia. Lazy.
Again, why are you trusting Doug when he is the most unrieriable person on the internet? And you haven't even watched the movie.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Gigantis wrote:Again, why are you trusting Doug when he is the most unrieriable person on the internet? And you haven't even watched the movie.
Well...There's also Jeremy.

He didn't like it.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:See? Shows you there's no point in these lifeless carbon copy live-action remakes. They've only been made to prey off of people's nostalgia. Lazy.

Better off sticking to the animated classics. There was no reason for these to exist.
They exist because experience has shown that audiences will pay to see them. It's not about being "lazy;" it's about a profit-driven industry catering to its market.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Gigantis wrote:Again, why are you trusting Doug when he is the most unrieriable person on the internet? And you haven't even watched the movie.

*video*

He didn't like it.
Okay sure, he's a more reliable person, but how can you form an opinion on a film you haven't probably even watched a clip of? You can't just parrot a persons word.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

Yeah Chris Stuckmann didn't really like it either.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I can't believe people are spending 30 dollars to see this pile of garbage.

Way to support totalitarianism for the sake of your youtube reviews, boys.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

The movie's available already?! That was quick... I enjoyed the animated version quite a bit when I was younger, but haven't seen too much of the live action one outside of the initial trailer.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Gigantis wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:

*video*

He didn't like it.
Okay sure, he's a more reliable person,
I didn't see the video and thought it was CinemaSins Jeremy and I was gonna RAGE lmaoooo
but how can you form an opinion on a film you haven't probably even watched a clip of? You can't just parrot a persons word.

Yeah this is the main thing. You can agree with a majority opinion but that doesn't always mean its true or right. People are just like that.

RIP Evan.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Mulan is likely getting bad reviews because they deviated so much from the animated version. People don't actually hate remakes as much as they claim they hate remakes that change too much of the orginal that have fund memories of.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

miguelnuva wrote:Mulan is likely getting bad reviews because they deviated so much from the animated version. People don't actually hate remakes as much as they claim they hate remakes that change too much of the orginal that have fund memories of.
From the reviews I've seen (which isn't that many) that is factor, but in the context that while they remove stuff from the original, they don't actually replace it with something better or even something just as good. Now I haven't seen the movie myself, I'm waiting until December when it's free, so I can't say what they say is true or not. Though, I do usually agree with Chris Stuckmann and Jeremy Jahns, so we shall see.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

$30 for a single movie is just so utterly insane. Its like they actively want

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

$30 actually isn't too bad if you have a family of 3 or more. I routinely spend more than that when I was hitting the theater with my wife and daughter before COVID. But I won't be paying it for one of these Disney live action movies.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

ROMG4 wrote:$30 for a single movie is just so utterly insane. Its like they actively want
They got to make back the $200 M budget somehow, and if suckers...err I mean people want to spend that kinda cash, then more power to Disney.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

miguelnuva wrote:Mulan is likely getting bad reviews because they deviated so much from the animated version. People don't actually hate remakes as much as they claim they hate remakes that change too much of the orginal that have fund memories of.
I liked the Jungle Book and that changed the story a LOT.

So no.

My problems with Mulan are political (see: supporting a totalitarian dictatorship) and Disney's anti-customer practices ($40 CAD on a streaming service you already pay for to watch it at home on your little TV, as opposed to the $13 CAD movie ticket you would get from a theatrical experience.)

The fact that Mulan is a shitty, cynical remake is the least of its problems.
Last edited by Spuro on Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:

So no.
Yeah sometimes change is good. Making King Louie into a King Kong/Tony Soprano hybrid was a good thing.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:

So no.
The Jungle Book didn't change the stroy that much. It was altered yes, but it was still Bagheera takes Mowgli to a human village to keep him safe from a returning Shere Khan. Mowgli encounters Kaa, he then meets his best friend Baloo who teaches him the bear[bare) necessities.

King Louie takes Mowgli because he wants the secret of fire, and Mowgli confronts Shere Khan with Fire. The only radical difference is the ending.

With Mulan Mushu, Shang and Shan Yu are gone from the start and the Be a Man song.

Nothing saying this is the only problem with Mulan just that before you even see the film it's the most altered remake other than Maleficent.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The reason why they changed Mulan so drasstically from the animated version was to have it resonate with Chinese audiences more by making it closer in tone to the original ballad from China's olden days.