Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla vs Emperor Ghidorah

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
SickleFeather
Samurai

Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla vs Emperor Ghidorah

Post by SickleFeather »

I saw that the main site added a new lost project to the cutting room page not too long ago.
Here the link to it, https://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_roo ... dorah.html

I find it interesting that Toho considered bringing Ghidorah back a second time around in the Heisei era after 1991, with this project in 1994 and in "The Return of King Ghidorah" back around 1992.
Neatly, both concepts had King Ghidorah retain his old "outer space" origins.

I would have loved to see either this project or the "AstroGodzilla/NeoGodzilla" one get made instead of Vs SpaceGodzilla.

Discuss.
"So ends the human race! The future is built upon the past, but your kind shall never see it! Your mother and father are dead, tiny one. And now, it is your turn...TO DIE!" - Grima, Fire Emblem Awakening

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla vs Emperor Ghidorah

Post by GigaBowserG »

Love the name "Emperor Ghidorah". Has a nice ring to it. A shame there isn't too much we know about it, though.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

While I like Godzilla vs King Ghidorah for its unique ideas in the franchise, and all things considering Ghidorah in that film and MKG are both cool, it still never felt like a proper utilization of Ghidorah and it’s a bit sad that Toho understood this and decided against making a sequel. Worst case scenario we’d have a bigger badder and more traditional Ghidorah.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Would have been cool to have it confirmed that the 1992 Ghidorah was created from Emperor Ghidorah's DNA by the Futurians.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

On one hand I'm with LSD in thinking that GvKG '91 wasn't the best use of King Ghidorah and that a more traditional depiction of him as a monster from space might have been nice. On the other hand, this would have been the second Godzilla vs Ghidorah film in three years, and while I don't know if Japanese audiences would have felt like it was a retread I could certainly see where they might. And to be completely honest, I'm not big on the "Emperor Ghidorah" name. It sounds way too much like an attempt to one-up "King Ghidorah" and like something you would see used for a fan-made OC.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

G2000 wrote:It sounds way too much like an attempt to one-up "King Ghidorah" and like something you would see used for a fan-made OC.
*Super Mechagodzilla, SpaceGodzilla, Super Godzilla, and Armor Mothra slowly walk away, offended.*
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

King Ghidorah has almost always been a tool of some aliens trying to take over the Earth.

Prior to Godzilla: King of the Monsters, the only versions of King Ghidorah that had the "Traveling Destroyer, God of Terror" concept were his original film (and even with that film, I've often wondered if the Planet X aliens were controlling him during events prior to Monster Zero), Mothra 3, and most recently, The Planet Eater (which was still divisive among fans due to how he was designed). Every other time, he's mind controlled and sent forth by the true villains of the film. Oh and that one time he was a guardian monster because box office marquee.

I'm not necessarily bashing this. I actually like a lot of the movies that feature Ghidorah. Its just what happened to King Ghidorah over the years, but one of the reasons I am super excited for the upcoming film is that I feel like we are getting the purest version of what King Ghidorah was supposed to be.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

orga_000
Yojimbo

Post by orga_000 »

This sounds really cool. Wonder what he would've looked like?

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

I likely would have preferred this over SpaceGodzilla... but even so, I am not quite sure what to make of it, due to the lack of information. I do have to agree with G2,000 that "Emperor Ghidorah" is a borderline tacky name, however. Granted, it is likely the best they could come up with for a superior Ghidorah of sorts... but even with that said, it likely would have only weakened King Ghidorah's presence as a whole. If it was an alternative Ghidorah, such as Desghidorah or Kaiser Ghidorah, I would have been more open to it.... but as is, this concept doesn't sound terribly enthralling, in my opinion.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

G2000 wrote:And to be completely honest, I'm not big on the "Emperor Ghidorah" name. It sounds way too much like an attempt to one-up "King Ghidorah"
That was probably the idea, since there was already the King Ghidorah from '91.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

GigaBowserG wrote:That was probably the idea, since there was already the King Ghidorah from '91.
Was “King Ghidorah” ever used prior to ‘91? It’s something I’ve wondered about but never been able to get clarification on
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

G2000 wrote:
GigaBowserG wrote:That was probably the idea, since there was already the King Ghidorah from '91.
Was “King Ghidorah” ever used prior to ‘91? It’s something I’ve wondered about but never been able to get clarification on
"King Ghidorah" (キングギドラ) has always been the monster's name in Japan, and was used ever since his first appearance. It's the English dubs which sometimes omitted the "King." For instance, in the English dub for Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster he's called "Ghidrah," and in both English dubs for Destroy All Monsters he is only called "Ghidorah."
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I'm kinda surprised this wasn't called Godzilla vs Kaiser Ghidorah to be honest. I also wonder what makes Ghidorah king thinking about it.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

G2000 wrote: I'm not big on the "Emperor Ghidorah" name. It sounds way too much like an attempt to one-up "King Ghidorah" and like something you would see used for a fan-made OC.
Hey I resemble that remark!
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

While this may have turned out to be a good entry, I just think having two different Ghidorahs in one continuous Godzilla series is just too odd. I mean what are the odds that the Dorat Ghidorah just happened to look similar to a totally unrelated space monster?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Omegazilla wrote:While this may have turned out to be a good entry, I just think having two different Ghidorahs in one continuous Godzilla series is just too odd. I mean what are the odds that the Dorat Ghidorah just happened to look similar to a totally unrelated space monster?
Rumors were the Dorats were created from Emperor Ghidorah and the futurians were trying to recreate a controllable version but got the weaker King Ghidorah.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

Very interesting. Was this in the abandoned script?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Omegazilla wrote:Very interesting. Was this in the abandoned script?
I've heard it around here a couple times. I can't tell you if it was true or not.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I always was fond of this concept, and probably would have prefered it to vs. SpaceGodzilla, which is why i'm also kinda bitter that it got cancelled for Yamato no Takeru (which is just a terrible film)

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Mr_Krenicboy
Samurai

Post by Mr_Krenicboy »

I think it goes to show the dorat origin for Ghidorah didn't sit well with people at Toho if they were considering doing Goji V Ghidrah again.