Non-Godzilla Kaiju comics

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Non-Godzilla Kaiju comics

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Gamera, Kong, Gorgo, Konga, Reptilicus, etc. these are the ones I know of, but is there a definitive list anywhere of these?

I’ve tried my best, but it still seems very confusing,

The individual issues if Gorgo and Konga are expensive, but looks like IDW tried releasing some of them under a Steve Ditko banner. Two hardcover collections, and then another release coming out this week. I’d love these, and with all due respect to Steve Ditko I haven’t purchased them because they ONLY include his issues. I’m guessing they didn’t think a comprehensive release would work.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Re: Non-Godzilla Kaiju comics

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I have the Gorgo book, it's one of the best of reprinted work in terms of older comics. Hell it's a miracle that could be reprinted at all. The people who ran Charlton comics would throw the original artwork on the floor to be used as door mats!

I've been planning on getting the Steve Ditko Konga book for a while now.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Yeah, I’m sure the books area fantastic, I just can’t buy them because they only show Ditko’s work.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

I liked Kaijumax.
It's not perfect but it scratched my Kaiju comics addiction after I finished all the IDW Godzilla books.
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

I recommend GiantKiller by DC Comics for a kaiju fix. It's only 6 issues and a "guidebook" that lists all the monsters ( I think theres a collected version but not sure if it included the guidebook). It's an original story but you can definitely tell where it gets its inspiration from. And its not that old, originally published in 1999.
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

Oh, Big Guy and Rusty the Robot boy had a giant monster in it too.
In a super jet he comes
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

-"Sobek" by James Stokoe (who did Godzilla: Half-Century War), is a humorous one-shot about the Egyptian god Sobek, a giant crocodile, coming to the aid of his worshipers.
-"Project Nemesis" based on the book by Jeremy Robinson with art by Matt Frank. Speaking of...
-"Redman" by Matt Frank and Goncalo Lopes. Really good series so far, takes that "Redman is a slasher villain for Kaiju" fan theory and nails it.
-"Daikazu" by Mike Wolfer, cheesiness incarnate. Giant monster anti-hero, rock-stars in flying power armor, a mad scientist, a giant robot, a busty android, this run has everything. There was a Kickstarter to collect this and it's sequel series into a omnibus a few years ago, but I don't know if it ever came out.
-"Giant Monster" by Steve Niles and Nat Jones, a two-parter about an astronaut who goes into space and comes back as a red monster that eats people to grow bigger. Lots of gore and some dark comedy.

Hawanja
Ronin

Post by Hawanja »

Here's a few I can think of,
Marvel:

Where Monsters dwell - (1970 Marvel, 38 issues) One of those Marvel books that have giant ants named "Grottu!" and "Sporr the living hill" and such. I believe some of these were reprints of early issues of "Journey into Mystery" and "Tales to Astonish" before those books were taken over by superheroes. Many of these would come back later into the marvel universe proper. Every decade or so these get reprinted in one form or another so they're not too hard to find.

The A-Z of Marvel Monsters (2017 Marvel, hardcover) - Encyclopedia type book of Marvel Monsters

Monsters Vol 1 & 2 (2017 Marvel) Collecting all those old monster comics into two Omnibus editions, features classics such as Groot (before he was in Guardians of the Galaxy,) Fing Fang Foom, and so on.

Devil Dinosaur (1970 Marvel, 12 issues) The Adventures of Moon Boy and Devil Dinosaur, the red T-Rex. Lots of fights with other dinosaurs, monsters, giants, etc. At one point Devil Dinosaur shows up in Marvel's Godzilla comics.

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur (2016 Marvel, Ongoing) Devil Dinosaur teams up with super Genius Moongirl, hilarity ensues. Actually not a bad comic, one day I might track them all down for the collection.

Monsters Unleashed (Vol.2. 2017 Marvel 5 issues)
Monsters Unleashed (Vol 3 2017-2018 Marvel, 12 issues)
The adventures of Kid Kaiju and his five monsters which he summoned by drawing them with his sketchpad and Inhuman powers. Started off as a crossover event in 2017, not a bad series. Appearances by the usual Marvel monsters (Goom, Fing Fang Foom, etc.) and lots of original creatures.

Shogun warriors (1979 Marvel, 20 issues) Comic tie in with the Hasbro Shogun Warrior toys (Americanized versions of Combattra, Danguard Ace, and Raydeen.) Introduced Doctor Demonicus, who would show up later in The West Coast Avengers.

King Kong (Mexico - 1965 Orizaba, Issue number unknown, more than 100) Series had very nice color painted covers, with interior sepia artwork. Issues pop up on Ebay from time to time. Don't know much about this series as I only have one issue(#68,) which features some mer-man type sea creatures. From the covers it looks like there's lots of other giant creatures for him to fight.

King Kong in the Microcosmos - (1979 Editorial America. 38 issues ) This one is about a normal sized gorilla shrunk down to microscopic level, to be used as a weapon for a civilization of aliens who live in the micro-verse. They make the gorilla "giant" (even though he's still microscopic) to help him win the war. There's a torrent out there with all the issues.

King Kong (2005, Dark Horse, 1 issue, 1 trade paperback) - Comic adaption of the 2005 Peter Jackson movie. Apparently Dark Horse had plans in the 90's to bring Kong into their own shared universe (which at the time also included Aliens, Predator, and Godzilla) but it never happened. Issue #1 was released, but 2 & 3 were not in standalone form. The Trade paperback has the full story. Issue 1 was also released in mini-comic form for the directors cut DVD.

Mytek the Mighty (later "King Kong the Robot"- 1967 IPC Media 32 issues) About a giant robot gorilla built by a scientist, published in France.

Kong: King of Skull Island (2007 Markosia) Comic book adaption of the (rather good) novel, featuring Kong vs. Gaw and the deathrunners. This was published at least twice, the second time with much better artwork.

Kong the King - Graphic novel by Osvaldo Medina kingpin books. - Don't know much about this one, apparently it's a new story adaption that departs from the original tale, and is told without any dialog.

Boom Studios:
Kong of Skull Island (2016, 12 issues) Explores the origins of King Kong. I have about 8 issues, always on the lookout for the rest. A rather good series, lots of fights with dinosaurs, other Kongs, etc.
Kong: Gods of Skull Island (2017, 1 shot)
Kong on the Planet of the Apes (2018, 6 issues) Only have 3 issues myself. The Apes discover Skull Island and bring back Kong to the Ape city. Bad stuff happens.
Kong Of Skull Island 2018 Special #1 (2018, 1 shot) Vikings Land on Skull Island. Bad stuff also happens.

Skull Island: The Birth of Kong
(Legendary Comics, 2017, 4 issues) Monsterverse tie-in to the Kong: Skull Island movie.

Konga (1961-1965 Charlton comics) Based on the 1961 movie. Konga fights commies, aliens, etc. Reprinted in a hardcover edition called "Ditko Monsters: Konga!" in 2013 which has most of the comics.

Gorgo (1961-1965, Charlton comics, 32 issues) The further adventures of Gorgo and his mother Orga. As above, also reprinted in 2013 hardcover edition "Ditko Monsters: Gorgo!" which has most of the issues.

Reptilicus (1961 Charlton, 8 issues, became "Reptisaurus" with issue 3) Started as an adaption of Reptilicus, then renamed "Repitsaurus the terrible" with issue 3. Unfortunately no hard cover reprints of this one. Not too hard to find, managed to score most of the series for under $20.

Gamera, Guardian of the Universe (1996 Dark Horse, 4 issues.) Only have the first 2 myself. There's a villain woman who is possessed by Viras, who has hair that looks like octopus tentacles.

Gigantor (2000 Antartic Press) - At least 12 issues, maybe more. Have only the first, can't say much about the story.

Ultraman (1993 Harvey comics, 3 issues) Somewhat cheesy, but readable. Very common, easy to find.
Ultraman (1994 Nemesis comics, 5 issues) Harvey later became Nemesis comics, not sure if the story is a continuation of the previous series
Ultraman Classic: Battle of the Ultra-Brothers (Viz comics, 5 issues) Reprinting a Manga of the same name. Only have 1 issue myself, but the rest are out there online.
Ultraman Tiga (2003 Dark Horse, 10 issues) A high quality series, great artwork, good color, solid writing. Highly recommended.

Voltron (2011 Dynamite Comics 12 issues) - Seems to focus on the origins of the Lion team. Haven't collected all of them yet myself. Apparently Dynamite is still putting out Voltron Comics, and there's several different series.

Primal Rage (1996 Sirius Entertainment, 4 issues) Comic adaption of the video game, first two issues pretty easy to find, second two not so much. Currently selling for a ridiculous price (lot of 1-4 currently listed for $349.99 on Ebay, totally not worth it.) I have issues 1 & 4, recommend just downloading this one if you can.
Last edited by Hawanja on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:35 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Don't forget Enormous, basically The Walking Dead but with kaiju instead of zombies.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

Komenja wrote:-"Sobek" by James Stokoe (who did Godzilla: Half-Century War), is a humorous one-shot about the Egyptian god Sobek, a giant crocodile, coming to the aid of his worshipers.
-"Project Nemesis" based on the book by Jeremy Robinson with art by Matt Frank. Speaking of...
-"Redman" by Matt Frank and Goncalo Lopes. Really good series so far, takes that "Redman is a slasher villain for Kaiju" fan theory and nails it.
-"Daikazu" by Mike Wolfer, cheesiness incarnate. Giant monster anti-hero, rock-stars in flying power armor, a mad scientist, a giant robot, a busty android, this run has everything. There was a Kickstarter to collect this and it's sequel series into a omnibus a few years ago, but I don't know if it ever came out.
-"Giant Monster" by Steve Niles and Nat Jones, a two-parter about an astronaut who goes into space and comes back as a red monster that eats people to grow bigger. Lots of gore and some dark comedy.
Where to read Redman?
In a super jet he comes
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Ultraman02 wrote: Where to read Redman?
You can get the trade paperbacks from the Night Shining webstore or Amazon.com, I don't know if digital versions are available anywhere.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Hawanja wrote:Here's a few I can think of,
Marvel:

Where Monsters dwell - (1970 Marvel, 38 issues) One of those Marvel books that have giant ants named "Grottu!" and "Sporr the living hill" and such. I believe some of these were reprints of early issues of "Journey into Mystery" and "Tales to Astonish" before those books were taken over by superheroes. Many of these would come back later into the marvel universe proper. Every decade or so these get reprinted in one form or another so they're not too hard to find.

The A-Z of Marvel Monsters (2017 Marvel, hardcover) - Encyclopedia type book of Marvel Monsters

Monsters Vol 1 & 2 (2017 Marvel) Collecting all those old monster comics into two Omnibus editions, features classics such as Groot (before he was in Guardians of the Galaxy,) Fing Fang Foom, and so on.

Devil Dinosaur (1970 Marvel, 12 issues) The Adventures of Moon Boy and Devil Dinosaur, the red T-Rex. Lots of fights with other dinosaurs, monsters, giants, etc. At one point Devil Dinosaur shows up in Marvel's Godzilla comics.

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur (2016 Marvel, Ongoing) Devil Dinosaur teams up with super Genius Moongirl, hilarity ensues. Actually not a bad comic, one day I might track them all down for the collection.

Monsters Unleashed (Vol.2. 2017 Marvel 5 issues)
Monsters Unleashed (Vol 3 2017-2018 Marvel, 12 issues)
The adventures of Kid Kaiju and his five monsters which he summoned by drawing them with his sketchpad and Inhuman powers. Started off as a crossover event in 2017, not a bad series. Appearances by the usual Marvel monsters (Goom, Fing Fang Foom, etc.) and lots of original creatures.

Shogun warriors (1979 Marvel, 20 issues) Comic tie in with the Hasbro Shogun Warrior toys (Americanized versions of Combattra, Danguard Ace, and Raydeen.) Introduced Doctor Demonicus, who would show up later in The West Coast Avengers.

King Kong (Mexico - 1965 Orizaba, Issue number unknown, more than 100) Series had very nice color painted covers, with interior sepia artwork. Issues pop up on Ebay from time to time. Don't know much about this series as I only have one issue(#68,) which features some mer-man type sea creatures. From the covers it looks like there's lots of other giant creatures for him to fight.

King Kong in the Microcosmos - (1979 Editorial America. 38 issues ) This one is about a normal sized gorilla shrunk down to microscopic level, to be used as a weapon for a civilization of aliens who live in the micro-verse. They make the gorilla "giant" (even though he's still microscopic) to help him win the war. There's a torrent out there with all the issues.

King Kong (2005, Dark Horse, 1 issue, 1 trade paperback) - Comic adaption of the 2005 Peter Jackson movie. Apparently Dark Horse had plans in the 90's to bring Kong into their own shared universe (which at the time also included Aliens, Predator, and Godzilla) but it never happened. Issue #1 was released, but 2 & 3 were not in standalone form. The Trade paperback has the full story. Issue 1 was also released in mini-comic form for the directors cut DVD.

Mytek the Mighty (later "King Kong the Robot"- 1967 IPC Media 32 issues) About a giant robot gorilla built by a scientist, published in France.

Kong: King of Skull Island (2007 Markosia) Comic book adaption of the (rather good) novel, featuring Kong vs. Gaw and the deathrunners. This was published at least twice, the second time with much better artwork.

Kong the King - Graphic novel by Osvaldo Medina kingpin books. - Don't know much about this one, apparently it's a new story adaption that departs from the original tale, and is told without any dialog.

Boom Studios:
Kong of Skull Island (2016, 12 issues) Explores the origins of King Kong. I have about 8 issues, always on the lookout for the rest. A rather good series, lots of fights with dinosaurs, other Kongs, etc.
Kong: Gods of Skull Island (2017, 1 shot)
Kong on the Planet of the Apes (2018, 6 issues) Only have 3 issues myself. The Apes discover Skull Island and bring back Kong to the Ape city. Bad stuff happens.
Kong Of Skull Island 2018 Special #1 (2018, 1 shot) Vikings Land on Skull Island. Bad stuff also happens.

Skull Island: The Birth of Kong
(Legendary Comics, 2017, 4 issues) Monsterverse tie-in to the Kong: Skull Island movie.

Konga (1961-1965 Charlton comics) Based on the 1961 movie. Konga fights commies, aliens, etc. Reprinted in a hardcover edition called "Ditko Monsters: Konga!" in 2013 which has most of the comics.

Gorgo (1961-1965, Charlton comics, 32 issues) The further adventures of Gorgo and his mother Orga. As above, also reprinted in 2013 hardcover edition "Ditko Monsters: Gorgo!" which has most of the issues.

Reptilicus (1961 Charlton, 8 issues, became "Reptisaurus" with issue 3) Started as an adaption of Reptilicus, then renamed "Repitsaurus the terrible" with issue 3. Unfortunately no hard cover reprints of this one. Not too hard to find, managed to score most of the series for under $20.

Gamera, Guardian of the Universe (1996 Dark Horse, 4 issues.) Only have the first 2 myself. There's a villain woman who is possessed by Viras, who has hair that looks like octopus tentacles.

Gigantor (2000 Antartic Press) - At least 12 issues, maybe more. Have only the first, can't say much about the story.

Ultraman (1993 Harvey comics, 3 issues) Somewhat cheesy, but readable. Very common, easy to find.
Ultraman (1994 Nemesis comics, 5 issues) Harvey later became Nemesis comics, not sure if the story is a continuation of the previous series
Ultraman Classic: Battle of the Ultra-Brothers (Viz comics, 5 issues) Reprinting a Manga of the same name. Only have 1 issue myself, but the rest are out there online.
Ultraman Tiga (2003 Dark Horse, 10 issues) A high quality series, great artwork, good color, solid writing. Highly recommended.

Voltron (2011 Dynamite Comics 12 issues) - Seems to focus on the origins of the Lion team. Haven't collected all of them yet myself. Apparently Dynamite is still putting out Voltron Comics, and there's several different series.

Primal Rage (1996 Sirius Entertainment, 4 issues) Comic adaption of the video game, first two issues pretty easy to find, second two not so much. Currently selling for a ridiculous price (lot of 1-4 currently listed for $349.99 on Ebay, totally not worth it.) I have issues 1 & 4, recommend just downloading this one if you can.
Good list! Only one boo-boo: Devil Dinosaur and Moon-Boy had 9 issues, not 12. I know because I once had all of them. After that, both of them appeared in Godzilla, King of the Monsters (vol. 1) #21-22, as part of "The Incredible Shrunken Godzilla" storyline in issues #17-24. And that was the end of them for a long time.

And yes, the Nemesis Ultraman miniseries is a continuation of the Harvey Ultraman miniseries. Didn't get to read it like I did the first one, but I remember seeing an issue of it in which there was a new foe called the Blue Ultraman (who was blue and silver instead of red and silver). Both of them were sequels to the TV series Ultraman: Toward the Future.
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Thanks for that list! I don't think all of those BOOM Kong comics made it out, at least not in graphic novel form. I can't find any copies of the two one shots. The Legendary Kong comics were amazing, but I didn't enjoy the Kong of Skull Islands ones

I'm a big of all the giant Marvel Monsters as well and hope they get more exposure to the MCU soon.

I've also been able to track down ZERO single issues of Gorgo, Konga, Reptilicus/Reptisaurus or Gamera in the wild (meaning not online). I sorely wish those were all nicely collected somewhere.

I also wish the adventures of Demonicus using the "altered Godzilla" that came about when Marvel didn't want to pay Toho anymore.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

The wikipedia has a surprisingly thorough list of King Kong comics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Kong_(comics)

Meanwhile the Marvel anthology series Astonishing Tales had It! The Living Colosuss star in the book starting with #21. Unfortunately it wasn't popular and he was replaced after just four issues. Even though he was "Greater than Godzilla and Mightier than King Kong"!☺

Last edited by The Octopus on Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hawanja
Ronin

Post by Hawanja »

Some more comics for you guys:

Strange Adventures (DC, 1950, 244 issues) The DC equivalent of the old Marvel monster comics. Lots of really wacky creatures, many of them giant sized, some of them rather ridiculous looking, like "The Monster that stole mountains" and one that is a giant reptilian hand with an eraser that literally erases everything. My favorite has to be "Prisoner of the Parakeets."

Dynamo Joe (First Comics, 1988. 15 issues.) In the future mankind fights wars in Giant Mechas. Reminds me a lot of Gundam, with multiple factions in a three sided war.

Dai Kamikaze! (NOW comics, 1987, at least 15 issues) Another giant robot series. Only have 2 issues, seems to have a similar plot to Dynamo Joe - wars in the future are fought with 100 foot Mecha.

World War Kaiju (By Josh Finney) - Kickstarter a few years ago about how nations create Kaiju to use as weapons. One of them is a giant Yorkshire terrier wearing battle armor. Pretty sure I picked this one up at a Con several years ago but can't find it, available on Amazon for $19.99 https://www.amazon.com/World-War-Kaiju- ... 0983923043

Kaiju Epic (2017) - Another Kickstarter project by creators Tom Hutchison and Kari Castor. Anthology series, each issue has 48 pages and contains 2 stories. Not sure how many issues were actually released.

Doris Danger Giant Monster Adventures (Chris Misnia, 2009) - The adventures of photojournalist Doris Danger as she attempts to prove the existence of Giant monsters. Black and white artwork done in the Kirby style as a homage to the old monster comics in the 60's, played for laughs. Monsters with names like "SPLUHH" and "SNEHSNEH." There are several books in the series, available on the author's website. You can read some of it online here: https://chriswisniaarts.com/blog/archives/754

Monsterpocalypse (2008) - Based on the collectable figures/board game of the same name. At least 3 issues, only got one as a freebee at comic con back in the day. Really good artwork, not sure how far it got.

Johnny Monster (Image comics) Never heard of this one before researching for this list. Looks like a guy that hunts monsters, in a world where weird creatures are a daily occurrence, some of them look to be of the kaiju sized variety. There's a write up on it here: http://giantmonstersattack.blogspot.com ... nster.html

Budzilla comix (Golden Frog Press, 2016) - Got one of these at a con a few years back. Bong huffing stoner jokes with Godzilla stuff mixed in. Has a very underground, Rip-off press kinda art style, but really not that funny. I don't know, maybe I need to smoke before reading it. Available here: http://www.drivethrubud.com/comics/budzilla-comix

Monster Attack Network (Graphic Novel ) - Another one I've never heard of. The premise is about a monster-island type place called Lapuatu, where a government task force contains and cleans up after giant monster attacks.

Wrath of the Titans (Bluewater productions, 2007) Not really a kaiju book but features lots of giant monsters. Picks up five years after the movie Clash of the Titans. Features lots of classic monsters, including the Hydra, Kracken, and Harryhausen Cyclops. First series with 5 issues, then a second series with 3, and a one shot called "Wrath of the Titans: Cyclops" illustrated by our own Matt Frank.

Kodoja: Terror Mountain Showdown (5 issues, TPB) Another that I've never heard of. A giant monster created as a bio-weapon is accidentally activated and goes on a rampage.

Super robot monkey team monkey hyperforce go - Five page comic featured in an issue of "Disney Adventures Comic Zone," Winter 2005. I know this is stretching it a bit, but I want to spread some love for what I thought was an underrated series. I hope it comes back some day.

Frankenstein Jr.
(Gold Key comics, 1968, 28 issues) Comic tie-in to the TV show "Frankenstein Jr. and the Impossibles." For those of you who've never heard of it, it's loosely based on Gigantor - a 30 foot robot Frankenstein's monster with his young best friend go around and fight monsters. Usually played for laughs. This is one of the first cartoons where the hero was allowed to actually hit the bad guy (I guess punching a hideous monster is ok, as long as it's not a person.)

Dr. Robot Special (Dark Horse, 2000, 1 shot) The adventures of Dr. Robot and his giant robot. Very cartoonish. I don't think there's actually any dialog. At one point there is a giant robot battle with a bad guy robot.

Mech Cadet Yu (Boom Studios, 4 issues) Story about students at the Sky Corps Academy, which is a military force that pilots 100 foot robots to fight the treat of alien invasion. Really good artwork. Only have managed to pick up issue #1 myself.

Giant Robot Warrior Maintenance Crew
(Cosmic times, unknown number of issues, TPB) Another new one for me. About the maintenance crew that works on a giant shogun-warriors type robot called "Herotron," which is so large it has creatures infesting it's tunnels and power conduits.

The Wake (DC Vertigo 2014, 10 issues) - Yet another I've never heard of. Sea monsters and the end of the world, lots of great reviews online.

And not least,

Freaks, Mutants, and Monsters (2 issues, Dirty Kitchen Press, 2011) Anthology comic written and illustrated by yours truly, done as a homage to those old 50's monster comics. Each issue has one giant monster story. One day I hope to pick the series up again. Available on my etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/hawanja/

Giant Monsters A Go-Go (2011) A collab between myself and my buddy Enshohma (see his deviant art here: https://www.deviantart.com/enshohma) Includes his story about Talos the Bronze (from Jason and the Argonauts) and my short story "Ikronus the terrible" about a giant space alien who crashes on Earth. Currently sold out, but he may have some issues if anyone is interested.

Added in 2 days 22 hours 51 minutes 57 seconds:
What up folks. Been digging through the collection, got a few more.

Attack of the Mutant Monsters (A+ Comics, 1987, One shot as far as I know.) Reprint of the first issue of the old Charlton Goro comic. I've got a feeling this was done without the rights because the monster is renamed "Kegor." The second story is called "The Killgore monster," and is a sort of fisherman, sea-monster sort of tale.

Marvel Monster Group: Monsters on the Prowl (Marvel 2005, one shot) Hulk, Thing, Beast, and Giant-man face off against an assortment of Marvel monsters.

Marvel Monster Group: Where Monsters Dwell (Marvel 2005, One shot) Mostly new stories featuring classic marvel monsters. Also reprints "I was trapped by Titanno!" about a giant crab.

Marvel Monster Group:Devil Dinosaur (Marvel, 2005, one shot) Hulk vs Devil Dinosaur. Also reprints "I was a Slave of the Living Hulk!" about a different monster called "Hulk," which was giant, brown, and hairy. Reprinted from Journey into Mystery #62

Marvel Monster Group: Fin Fang 4 - Elektro, Gorgilla, Googam, and Fing Fang Foom team up and save the Fantastic Four. Also reprints the first appearance of Fing Fang Foom, also from Journey into Mystery #62

Marvel Monsters: From the Files of Ulysses Bloodstone (Marvel, 2005, One shot) Files with pics and histories of various Marvel Monsters, written in-universe from the point of view of Ulyssess Bloodstone (for those of you who aren't hip to Bloodstone, he was a monster-hunter type character in the 70's.)

Dinosaurs Attack!
(IDW, 2013, 4 issues.) Based on the Topps card set of the same name. The dinosaurs are much more like Kaiju than real dinosaurs. Much larger (a brontosaurus is shown to be large enough to destroy the Golden Gate bridge.) Very gory too - scenes of dinosaurs eating people, biting people in half, teleporting inside of people, etc. The end boss is a giant, evil, super-intelligent horned Tyrannosaur looking thing. Highly recommended!

Monster Menace (Marvel, 1993. 4 issues) Classic reprints of classic marvel monster tales.

Curse of the Weird (Marvel, 1994, 4 issues) More reprints of classic Marvel sci-fi and horror tales. Some of them are giant monster related.

Pacific Rim: Tales from Year Zero (2013 Legendary Comics, TPB)
Pacific Rim: Amara (2018 Legendary Comics, 10 issues)
Pacific Rim: Tales from the Drift (2015 Legendary Comics, 4 issues)
Pacific Rim: Aftermath (2018 Legendary Comics, 6 issues)
- Comics based on the Pacific Rim movies. Only have Tales from Year zero TPB and issue #1 of Tales from the Drift. Generally good stories and artwork, worth picking up.

Kaijuland Origins (Wonderverse comics, 2012. 1 issue afaik) Comic book adaption of the Facebook game that was the precursor to Colossal Kaiju Combat. Cover by Matt Frank
Last edited by Hawanja on Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 15 times in total.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I think it's a pretty big monster...awesome idea...awesome cover...pretty lame comic book sadly. I got about halfway through the first part and kinda gave up.
VOLCANOSAURUS!
https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/JUN171181

Hawanja
Ronin

Post by Hawanja »

What's up folks,

An FYI for you all, all of the Charlton comics (Gorgo, Konga, Reptisaurus, etc) can be legally read for free at https://comicbookplus.com since these are all in the public domain.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Firebreather, anyone? It had an animated adaptation too. Not too decent, but not downright horrible. Pretty watchable.

Hawanja
Ronin

Post by Hawanja »

Found another gem for you all,

Terrible Lizard - 2014, 5 issues
https://m.comixology.com/Terrible-Lizar ... ries/28816

It's about a scientist who creates a portal machine, through which comes a yellow T-Rex (called "Wrex") that befriends his daughter. Other giant monsters also come through for Wrex to fight.

I've only read the first issue so far but it looks enjoyable.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

darkcancer wrote:I recommend GiantKiller by DC Comics for a kaiju fix. It's only 6 issues and a "guidebook" that lists all the monsters ( I think theres a collected version but not sure if it included the guidebook). It's an original story but you can definitely tell where it gets its inspiration from. And its not that old, originally published in 1999.
I've been interested in this comic ever since I heard it was basically Hellboy with kaiju. Is there a digital copy with the guidebook included?
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.